Class of 2020 - TE Steven Mahar (NY) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 TE Steven Mahar (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think alot of us are used to reading articles by SU writers. Those articles are influenced to favor the particular school the writer covers. This is a local Rochester reporter. Maybe Mahar shouldnt have brought up Zembiec but its the truth. The type of truth you dont hear from those feel good articles to keep subcribers happy. There is nothing wrong with him wanting more offers. Every kid does. Some are focused on the negative when the article is full of positive things said about SU. Why is that?
I never said that he shouldn't want more offers. All kids going through recruiting want more offers. For them it's a validation of their abilities. I also think they should all take their visits and not commit too early in the process. I just didn't think the interview was well written.

The Top 50 kids in NYS include about 40+ who aren’t P5 material.

NY is NOT very deep w D1 talent.

If the kids don’t want to come to Syracuse, it really doesn’t matter that we’re in the same state, and/or offered them while they were still in the womb.
We are not saying NYS is deep but you need to identify which kids can. Especially when they live right down the road.

He's not offended. Just wants a chance to go through the process like others do. You dont think every kid wonders why the D1 program closest to them haven't offered while others outside the state has?

Then why doesn’t he ask the people who can actually address his question? The reporter certainly couldn't give him any insight.

I don't know anything about his coach but some of these high school coaches aren't the best when it comes to recruiting or promoting their players.

Or coaching them the basics...way behind other states.

I don't know anything about his coach but some of these high school coaches aren't the best when it comes to recruiting or promoting their players.

True. He must have been contacted by an SU coach - why not ask him? Might even give him a hint on improvements, camp opportunities whatever that programs like SU might like to see too that get players noticed.

We are not saying NYS is deep but you need to identify which kids can. Especially when they live right down the road.
The real problem is most of the players don't want to play here, even when close by. Tim Green was one of the few locals who decided to stay home.

Then why doesn’t he ask the people who can actually address his question? The reporter certainly couldn't give him any insight.
They asked questions. They were told he would be evaluated in person. The offer confirmed what Mahar and his coach thought. That he was a player who could play in the ACC.

They asked questions. They were told he would be evaluated in person. The offer confirmed what Mahar and his coach thought. That he was a player who could play in the ACC.
Ooook
But the coaches told him that they wanted to see him in person.

So what is wrong with that?

Ooook
But the coaches told him that they wanted to see him in person.

So what is wrong with that?
Nothing is wrong with that. lol now ask why people are upset that he wants more offers.

He's not offended. Just wants a chance to go through the process like others do. You dont think every kid wonders why the D1 program closest to them haven't offered while others outside the state has? Keep in mind, he didnt asked to get interviewed but he is just expressing his current thoughts. Like you said there's plenty of time to change that before signing day. If he's high on their boards and they want him then SU will need to recruit him like they do with others. If he's not, then they can just keep tabs on him. It won't hurt them if he commits to another p5 program.
M- appreciate your insights. Great to hear someone from the 585 with so much knowledge about the recruiting scene (I loved your history about Collison, who I couldn't BELIEVE we lost to Pitt).

Back to the Mahar article, I was not turned off as much by the KID as I was was by the snooty writing. Like many local SU fans, I don't even read the D/C anymore. They have no respect for SU and have slashed their sports coverage down to a HS article (with a big picture) ... the Bills, Hockey and the Associated Press.

But as far as the recruit, himself, it doesn't seem that strange to me that he said University of Syracuse. I can get by that. I also wasn't offended by his swagger. He thinks he's really good .. and he might be right. So I actually like his confidence ... including the expectation that SU should be giving love. That's all healthy, and as the young man gets to know this staff, he will see that they are the real deal.

My one issue is the "waiting for other offers" concept. Obviously, recognition is nice, and 'interest' goes both ways (Zembiec). Some kids also want to get away. But those looking for 'names' are stepping into the same trap that other blue-chip recruits (Jarron Jones) have fallen into ... parlaying SU interest like bitcoin to be spent out of state. It's a disrespectful, and outdated, attitude. With a nationally-known coach and an exciting offense, 10 wins and a top 15 finish aren't accidents. The program's back ... and has earned a fresh look. So as a local fan, the stepping stone mentality is ancient history. Hopefully that's not the situation here, and the young man can appreciate what HCDB has cookin' on the Hill.

Last edited:
M- appreciate your insights. Great to hear someone from the 585 with so much knowledge about the recruiting scene (I loved your history about Collison, who I couldn't BELIEVE we lost to Pitt).

Back to the Mahar article, I was not turned off as much by the KID as I was was by the snooty author. Like many local SU fans, I don't even read the D/C anymore. They've sliced their sports coverage down to a HS article (with a big picture) and the rest about the Bills, Hockey and the Associated Press.

Anyway, back to the recruit. It doesn't seem that strange to me that he said U of Syracuse. I can get by that. I also wasn't offended by his swagger as much as others. He thinks he's really good .. and he just might be right. So I actually like the confidence ... and his expectation that SU should be interested. That all makes sense, and hopefully the coaches can close the gap by showing him what they're all about. If the young man gets to know this staff, I'm almost certain he will see that they are the real deal.

My one beef is the "waiting for other offers" comment. Maybe it was poor journalism. But if that was the player's sentiment, it bothers me .. and here's why. Some recruits in the past (Jones comes to mind) have used SU offers like 'releases' - minimum credentials from the local P5 school that they can use like bitcoin to shop higher profile schools. That's disrespect that SU doesn't deserve anymore. After a 10 win season and a top 15 finish, SU's on the map. So as a local fan, it doesn't seem right when recruits act like a Babers offer is just a blip on their way to stardom. That is a turn off for fans, and maybe for coaches. Hopefully I'm misreading the situation, and the young man appreciates what HCDB has cookin' on the Hill.
Good stuff my man. Seven Mcgeee loves Oregon and he wants more offers. Thats why he orginally de comitted. ts how kids are today.

I'm late to the party with this kid. Has he camped at SU? Being 90 minutes away, it would seem an easy thing to do if the kid wants to go to SU (UofS?).

Mahar is at BC this weekend taking his official visit. His coach told me he likes them. Could commit this weekend but wants him to take his 4 other officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.