Team is probably a bit better than we give it credit | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Team is probably a bit better than we give it credit

Crazy to see those stats, but when's the last time we ran offensive sets for our big in the post on a consistent basis? I can't imagine him putting up 18 ppg at the Cuse

Rak's SR year.

I don't think JB would be comfortable utilizing a FR center in his offense the way that UW has. Stewart would definitely be a major upgrade offensively but Boeheim would put the focus on utilizing him on the defensive end more than Hop does. He'd probably have the same sort of overall impact, just in a different way.

Last year's SU team was ranked somewhere in the 300s on 3-point shooting percentage. This year SU ranks 107. We have all seen what can happen when a 3-point shooting team gets hot. They can beat anyone. And when the shots are not falling, anyone can beat them. Defensively the team is as weak as any SU team I can remember. I can't believe that I miss Chukwu. At least he clogged the middle.

I honestly don't know what to expect the rest of the way. The ACC is not strong. Only 5 teams in Lunardi's bracket currently projected to make the tournament. Duke and Louisville look like the most solid teams. Then Virginia and FSU. After that there are question marks on every team. I am hoping we win the home games and win some on the road that we are currently projected to lose. Too early to totally give up on this team.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
There are many people who post here who aren't actually real fans of Syracuse. I, for one, am frankley tired of hearing about UW. I wish Hop all the success in the world, but the Huskies, not really.

Last year's SU team was ranked somewhere in the 300s on 3-point shooting percentage. This year SU ranks 107. We have all seen what can happen when a 3-point shooting team gets hot. They can beat anyone. And when the shots are not falling, anyone can beat them. Defensively the team is as weak as any SU team I can remember. I can't believe that I miss Chukwu. At least he clogged the middle.

I honestly don't know what to expect the rest of the way. The ACC is not strong. Only 5 teams in Lunardi's bracket currently projected to make the tournament. Duke and Louisville look like the most solid teams. Then Virginia and FSU. After that there are question marks on every team. I am hoping we win the home games and win some on the road that we are currently projected to lose. Too early to totally give up on this team.

If we're 107, are we really a good three point shooting team?

I know we have guys who can make shots, but 107? That's really not that great especially when our defense is so bad.

Without a true distributor of the ball do our shooters get the looks they're going to need to be effective as we have only 1 maybe 2 guys that can create their own 3 point shot?

Well, Chukwu "clogged the middle' the way the Washington Monument clogs the District of Columbia. he did alter a few shots or would-be shot choices per game.

I appreciate the man, but maybe any nickname regarding him with "chew" in it should go, what with it implying food and all.

Crazy to see those stats, but when's the last time we ran offensive sets for our big in the post on a consistent basis? I can't imagine him putting up 18 ppg at the Cuse

The last time would have been for Rakeem Christmas, the last big we've had who could have taken advantage of them.

I know we have guys who can make shots, but 107? That's really not that great especially when our defense is so bad.

Without a true distributor of the ball do our shooters get the looks they're going to need to be effective as we have only 1 maybe 2 guys that can create their own 3 point shot?

For a team "without a true distributor" we get a lot of assists.

People say we don’t have a point guard, but I would take Girard over Howard any day of the week. He has a better handle, finds shooters in transition, and moves much better without the ball. He’s also a better shooter and foul shooter. With Girard you never need to worry about taking plays off and he’s the first guard in a long time that knows how to run a break. After watching the rest of the ACC, this team will be very competitive. They may not beat everyone, but they are better offensively than many of our recent teams. They need to be a little better than average on defense to stay in most games. They may be the best passing team in the ACC.

JB shelved carey even before the injury announcement. and now goodine is goodbye ? what's he thinking ?

JB shelved carey even before the injury announcement. and now goodine is goodbye. JB made his own problems.
Yeah, because there's absolutely no way JB could have known Carey was injured before that info was released publicly. :rolleyes:

I guess it's relative. There are 353 D1 teams so SU is better than 246 teams in 3 point shooting. Much better than recent years. In recent games, against less than stellar defenses, the team has had many open 3s. Shooting 35.2% over the season but 38% over the last 3. Hitting 3s at a consistent level is the only hope this team has for winning games so I hope our ranking continues to climb.

Yeah, because there's absolutely no way JB could have known Carey was injured before that info was released publicly. :rolleyes:
we all heard the famous "5 mistakes in 5 minutes " rant post game when he announced jG3 was his new starter. (a move BTW unprecedented i believe) the word INJURY was never used. not once. explain.

For a team "without a true distributor" we get a lot of assists.

We get a ton of them, but I wouldn't say we have a true point guard that plays a lot of minutes.

What is sad is I bet it has a better ACC regular season record than our recent teams that were better.

We have 4 good players ones a transfer from ECU and the other 3 are white boys with serious limitations.

Everyones back next year Kadary and Woody have to be better than the guys who have let us down last couple classes.

Maybe IS is the one that made the wrong decision. If he came to SU, this team would be lethal, as in winning it all lethal. At UW, not so much.

I like you attitude. In that same spirit, maybe I will be reincarnated as Hugh Hefner(before he died).

Buddy and JG3 are a terrible combo for defense at the top of the zone IMO.
Right but if you could take just either one of them to pair with Hughes and then have two real forwards Q and Marek with a big guy down low as well your zone is fine

There’s a really odd scheduling anomaly this year. We complete 3 home and homes in our first 8 league games. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

I fear our motion offense is not going to be anywhere near as effective in the rest of our games as it has been against the non conference cupcakes or Ga Tech.

The back court simply can’t beat anyone off the bounce and can’t defend good shooters. It’s a bad combination.
That scenario would change if the coaches would put Hughes at the two

That scenario would change if the coaches would put Hughes at the two
What about Braswell at the three. He is a shooter from all reports and has been in the system for 2 years and should have a good handle on the zone?

Notably, I have examined his minutes and concluded he is not good at practice.
I get your humor. His spot is the 3 and Hughes isn't coming out of the game as far as I can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom