Team is probably a bit better than we give it credit | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Team is probably a bit better than we give it credit

No but... the longer they’re here and play together they better they’ll get at the zone. Their instincts will improve and they’ll rotate better. Also we don’t have to hold teams to 55 to win, offensively I think they will be very good so they have more leeway on defense.

How many times have we complained that we recruit athletes not basketball players? Were starting an underclassmen backcourt that has a very good IQ and are deadly from 3.

You can’t have it both ways.
You can if you get elite recruits. You know, like the ones we used to get, great basketball players that are also great athletes.

I feel like we're drifting off into Trevor Cooney land where some guys get labeled as deadly three point shooters and get a 10 point bump on their percentage just...because. I mean, one guy is 38% for his career whilst averaging over 9+ per game this year, and the other guy is 34%.

I'm not saying they won't be deadly, but who knows. There are 40 players just in the ACC with 30 plus 3 point attempts shooting over 30%. Buddy has the 20th highest percentage out of 40, and JGIII is 31st. Meanwhile, Eli is 9th. That's just in the ACC.

Not really the greatest trade-off for 40 MPG really bad defensive players. I'd like it both ways - or at least I think we could mix it up a bit more. It's not like they're currently the deadliest shooters on the planet.

Trevor Cooney LOL. Buddy's percentage right now is better than any year Cooney ever had. And according to this Eli is 4th and Buddy 5th in 3 point percentage.
2019-20 Atlantic Coast Conference Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I hope someone with 30 attempts has a better shooting percentage than someone with 108. This is like saying Steve Kerr was a better shooter than Steph Curry is now.

Trevor Cooney LOL. Buddy's percentage right now is better than any year Cooney ever had. And according to this Eli is 4th and Buddy 5th in 3 point percentage.
2019-20 Atlantic Coast Conference Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I hope someone with 30 attempts has a better shooting percentage than someone with 108. This is like saying Steve Kerr was a better shooter than Steph Curry is now.

According to the stats/leaderboard you posted, JGIII doesn't qualify at all, which seems odd, and Buddy is the worst shooter amongst people that qualify for the leaderboard...by a HUGE margin.

HUGE MARGIN

I mean, super HUGE

I suppose that might help your argument...but I'm not seeing it.

JGIII doesn't qualify at all, which seems odd,
Yeah, that's really weird. Especially since Nwora has a 41.4 3pt% on the same number of attempts as Dejan and he's not on the leaderboard for 3pt%.

According to the stats/leaderboard you posted, JGIII doesn't qualify at all, which seems odd, and Buddy is the worst shooter amongst people that qualify for the leaderboard...by a HUGE margin.

HUGE MARGIN

I mean, super HUGE

I suppose that might help your argument...but I'm not seeing it.

Yeah well IDK in what universe 38% is bad shooting because we have had like 3 of those here. You want to complain about defense I get it, but you dying on this hill makes zero sense. I did my best to not even respond to this take, but then you made it extra worse including Cooney FFS.

Yeah well IDK in what universe 38% is bad shooting because we have had like 3 of those here. You want to complain about defense I get it, but you dying on this hill makes zero sense. I did my best to not even respond to this take, but then you made it extra worse including Cooney FFS.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I don't think it's bad shooting...

You're dismissing averaging around 3 three point attempts a game as if it's laughable to qualify for anything...I'm not sure why that is.

My argument was, we traded good defense, for zero defense and good shooters.

The narrative that they're deadly shooters, seems off and relies upon extra credit points. Shooting 38% from three isn't exactly off into the stratosphere in today's game - sooooooo, going zero defense seems like an overcorrection at this stage. The Cooeny reference was about throwing around these tags about being elite shooters...when the percentages don't really add up. They may someday, but for 3 years, that never manifested itself with TC even though that was his narrative as well. So, perhaps not with Buddy/JGIII either. Maybe they're 35-40% shooters. Which is fine. Their defense is not fine though.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I don't think it's bad shooting...

You're dismissing averaging around 3 three point attempts a game as if it's laughable to qualify for anything...I'm not sure why that is.

My argument was, we traded good defense, for zero defense and good shooters.

The narrative that they're deadly shooters, seems off and relies upon extra credit points. Shooting 38% from three isn't exactly off into the stratosphere in today's game - sooooooo, going zero defense seems like an overcorrection at this stage. The Cooeny reference was about throwing around these tags about being elite shooters...when the percentages don't really add up. They may someday, but for 3 years, that never manifested itself with TC even though that was his narrative as well. So, perhaps not with Buddy/JGIII either. Maybe they're 35-40% shooters. Which is fine. Their defense is not fine though.

Well we've had players shoot 30% here and people think they were the best players since Carmelo Anthony and wondered why they didn't make it in the NBA, but man they were ATHLETES!

Well we've had players shoot 30% here and people think they were the best players since Carmelo Anthony and wondered why they didn't make it in the NBA, but man they were ATHLETES!

Are you arguing generally with the forum now about something else? These all or nothing takes are bizarre.

We must choose between elite shooters who are horrible athletes, or bad shooting athletes? That must be the choice? Not sure why...

Again, I just think upping them into next-level shooters at this stage, and relying upon that shooting to justify moving forward seems misguided to me. I don't know that their shooting numbers go up - they may, they may not. Plenty of people are fairly static throughout their careers, and it reminds me of all the crazy justifications for TC because he was a super elite shooter...for no other reason than people liked to say he was one.

They're good shooters. Good players. Horrible defenders. And do not make for an optimal back court now, or likely in the future. I assume the roster evolves though and with that PT...hopefully.

Are you arguing generally with the forum now?

Again, I just think upping them into next-level shooters at this stage, and relying upon that shooting to justify moving forward seems misguided to me. I don't know that their shooting numbers go up - they may, they may not. Plenty of people are fairly static throughout their careers, and it reminds me of all the crazy justifications for TC because he was a super elite shooter...for no other reason than people liked to say he was one.

They're good shooters. Good players. Horrible defenders. And do not make for an optimal back court now, or likely in the future. I assume the roster evolves though and with that PT...hopefully.

Some are static some are better. I'll take the over with these two. Girard is a 97% free throw shooter that's a fairly good predictor that he's a good shooter.

Yes I am. A lot of the board is being hypocrites. People complained when we won games 52-50, when we won 25 plus games, JB recruits for the zone and played slow, and said they were fine losing 84-76 at the beginning of the season as long as it meant we were entertaining and could improve. That is basically what we did against Georgetown.

I suppose some would rather see a one handed Carey, Goodine, Braswell, Guerrier, and Sidibe play and watch us white knuckle to 30-26 losses, but hey at least we were good at defense!!!! I know I said I wanted offense back in 2014 when we were 28-6, but I was wrong!!!!

I'm of the opinion that Girard/Buddy can at least be as good at defense as Devendorf/Gmac, or Flynn/Devendorf, because despite how athletic Flynn was he still had no problems giving up 100 plus to the UMasses and Providences of the world.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom