Team update. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Team update.

I believe Babers said the opposite when asked to describe his Defense

Ok. Just pointing out how some Cover 2 coaches approach their game planning when lacking the ability to get pressure in their base package. I don't recall him saying they would be blitzing a lot with their defense but maybe I missed it.

Ok. Just pointing out how some Cover 2 coaches approach their game planning when lacking the ability to get pressure in their base package. I don't recall him saying they would be blitzing a lot with their defense but maybe I missed it.

I wasn't saying you're wrong. I just remember Babers saying if he can't get pressure from front four, he blitzes more. Too lazy to find it.

I wasn't saying you're wrong. I just remember Babers saying if he can't get pressure from front four, he blitzes more. Too lazy to find it.

I believe you :D

Antiprodigy said:
Bam, At the risk of being considered an ass-kisser, Thanks for the update. I'm sure you're glad to have Shy back for the holidays, as I'm sure he is glad to be back. I hope you all have a great Christmas, and a Happy New Year. (I offer the same to everyone on here. I truly hope you all have a happy holdiay season!) The most important question that I have for you Bam, How is Shy doing in the class room? How has he transitioned on the academic side? After all, the main reason for going to college, is to get a degree. That is what will really serve him for his lifetime.

Not sure if I get to make the final call, but I'd rule against this as ass kissing.

It's not hard to tell the difference. Being appreciative of parents who add to the discussion (such as this thread), is normal behavior.

This is a good thread. I'm curious who the remaining players are that are trying to get on board. What year they are and whether they are O or D. Good to hear that Babers was one of the people who convinced Cordy that a transfer is a bad idea. And teaches us that we shouldn't rush to conclusions on kids making heat of the moment decisions like that.

This is a good thread. I'm curious who the remaining players are that are trying to get on board. What year they are and whether they are O or D.
I'm sure you can probably guess who one of them is.

I believe Babers said the opposite when asked to describe his Defense
I know he said this... Details on Babers' defensive philosophy will be excavated down the line, but the new coach has experience around the attacking, blitz-heavy defense that has defined Syracuse under Shafer and the Tampa-2 defense, a more traditional, four-man rush look. "Both styles have been effective with the type of offense that we play," Babers said. "The main thing is not to pigeonhole anyone, to find out exactly what our resources or our players can do and then make sure we do what they're best at. And then we'll recruit and figure out what we need to do down the road. "We're looking for early success." Since he has been dealt a hand where there aren't a lot of pass rushers on the DL and he has some players who blitz well (Bennett, Shy and Zaire come to mind), I would think it likely Shy will get some chances to blitz.

Last edited:
OrangeMojo said:
no worries Bam - I didn't make the 3.0 club my first year in college and I wasn't even playing a sport :confused:

Since I was a math major and my parents weren't, I'd try to explain to them how 2.5 rounds up to 3.

They'd counter with some smart ass comment about the first couple letters of the alphabet.

I know he said this... Details on Babers' defensive philosophy will be excavated down the line, but the new coach has experience around the attacking, blitz-heavy defense that has defined Syracuse under Shafer and the Tampa-2 defense, a more traditional, four-man rush look. "Both styles have been effective with the type of offense that we play," Babers said. "The main thing is not to pigeonhole anyone, to find out exactly what our resources or our players can do and then make sure we do what they're best at. And then we'll recruit and figure out what we need to do down the road. "We're looking for early success." Since he has been dealt a hand where there aren't a lot of pass rushers on the DL and he has some players who blitz well (Bennett, Shy and Zaire come to mind), I would think it likely Shy will get some chances to blitz.

Thankfully Barber isn't one of those coaches (year George i'm talking about you) round hole, square peg type of guys. Would think that would be common sense for a coach at this level, but we've learned we can't take anything for granted when it comes to that type of stuff. I get the feeling Babers would rather play more of a traditional 4-3 with less blitzing, but until we can add some size on that side of the ball we will probably see more of a style that we have been playing the past 7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom