tempo or bust | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

tempo or bust

I dont think prices is the issue right now.. plenty of cheap tickets. people want a winner.. being entertained is not enough, not sure scoring points matters. 4 winnable games and two that i dont think are stretches in the next 6 weeks. if they can go 3-3 all hope is not lost. ND is not all that great either.
Lowering prices may not increase attemdance that much, but changing the structure so that people fill in the sideline areas may reduce some of the aluminum visible on tv.

Lowering prices may not increase attemdance that much, but changing the structure so that people fill in the sideline areas may reduce some of the aluminum visible on tv.
yes, if we have 30k fans, we don't want 20k off camera

re tempo: The key is completions and positive gains. From the stands you can see just how this uptempo offense, to an extent, can negate superior talent. Once we actually string together some completions and positive gains, you can see how the defense gets disjointed and unorganized. I would love to know our conversion % on 3rd and call in less then 4, AFTER already converting at least one 1st down. It seems we convert at a very high %. I recall a couple of times under this situation just looking at how the defense was lined up, or trying to line up, and saying to myself we got this.

On a semi-related note...We need to find a way to get our interior run game going. I am surprised we are having as little success as we have had. You would have thought that the interior OL would have been a strength of the team? Also, Strickland doesn't look nearly as explosive as he did last year. Neal is nice, but he still needs to pack on some size. You would think Fredericks would be the perfect RB to get this downhill running game going? Either way, they have to stick with it, and try to establish it. Once they get that going it will really open things up, and get their tempo clicking.

I agree with you regarding the offense not trying to slow down. On defense however, I think you need to be flexible enough to modify your game plan to the opposing offense. Not sure if we did or didn't. I've read quite a few posts saying we don't have the personnel to run the Tampa 2; if true, why run it?

Because this is the base system that the coaching staff wants to run, and they've made the decision to implement it at the beginning to [1] accelerate the process of the players learning the system, and [2] because it wouldn't matter what system we ran defensively, due to personnel limitations this year.

Their goal is to install the system, and then recruit to the system. This will ring hollow after last Friday's performance, but we're asking the players to do new things in this system that are different than what they were required to do in the last system, so it might take some time for things to click [assuming that they even click at all this season].

re tempo: The key is completions and positive gains. From the stands you can see just how this uptempo offense, to an extent, can negate superior talent. Once we actually string together some completions and positive gains, you can see how the defense gets disjointed and unorganized. I would love to know our conversion % on 3rd and call in less then 4, AFTER already converting at least one 1st down. It seems we convert at a very high %. I recall a couple of times under this situation just looking at how the defense was lined up, or trying to line up, and saying to myself we got this.

On a semi-related note...We need to find a way to get our interior run game going. I am surprised we are having as little success as we have had. You would have thought that the interior OL would have been a strength of the team? Also, Strickland doesn't look nearly as explosive as he did last year. Neal is nice, but he still needs to pack on some size. You would think Fredericks would be the perfect RB to get this downhill running game going? Either way, they have to stick with it, and try to establish it. Once they get that going it will really open things up, and get their tempo clicking.

I don't think Emerich moves the pile much [not to single him out, just an observation]. Palmer is obviously a strength and has the size, but our other starting guard couldn't beat out a walk on last year. Not sure how those three could be considered a strength of the team.

Hopefully, help is on the way with Duering, Byrne, Clausman, Adams, etc. as well as the true frosh from Baber's first class [many of whom need to grow into their frames, which will take a year or two].

There are people who used to sit near me in C level prime seats who have moved and currently sit in their $125 seats in the end zones. I do agree that there needs to be more tiered pricing but that's for tv aesthetics, not attendance resulting in an overall gain of more fannys in the seats. It will only move those same fannys around.

What worries me is the demographics of even these attendees. How many are over 50 years old? (like me) Seems very disproportionately high to me.

forget the "Fast" hashtags. forget the 16-18 game learning curve. we need to be game plan specific and plan for each opponent, not 18 games away. the only way to possibly beat Louisville is keeping Jackson on the sidelines by controlling the clock. we should have played as slow as possible.

There are people who used to sit near me in C level prime seats who have moved and currently sit in their $125 seats in the end zones. I do agree that there needs to be more tiered pricing but that's for tv aesthetics, not attendance resulting in an overall gain of more fannys in the seats. It will only move those same fannys around.

What worries me is the demographics of even these attendees. How many are over 50 years old? (like me) Seems very disproportionately high to me.

That's what happens when you have an entire generation of both townies and alums who have only had maybe 2-3 acceptable years of football in the last 17 to be excited about. When I was growing up, we had that nice run from 87-99, and a lot of fans in the community followed the team because they were exciting.

I envision that there are a lot of people who either were raised in Syracuse or attended SU between 2000 to the present who just don't feel that football is a priority, given the product they've put out on the field.

That's what happens when you have an entire generation of both townies and alums who have only had maybe 2-3 acceptable years of football in the last 17 to be excited about. When I was growing up, we had that nice run from 87-99, and a lot of fans in the community followed the team because they were exciting.

I envision that there are a lot of people who either were raised in Syracuse or attended SU between 2000 to the present who just don't feel that football is a priority, given the product they've put out on the field.
Yep. Started really getting into sports in the late 80's/early 90's. Was more into basketball at first so my earliest memories were the Douglas/Coleman/Owens years and then football was 1990 Graves freshman year. What a great time to be groomed to be a SU fan.

Last edited:

i'm going to hope that casual fans are just being logical recognizing the pattern. once they start having some fun home games against decent teams, word will spread.

i'm going to hope that casual fans are just being logical recognizing the pattern. once they start having some fun home games against decent teams, word will spread.

I hope so.

I'm just concerned that there is a nearly 20 year gap where there weren't as many casual fans developed who are committed to the program , due to the team being so lousy.

I hope so.

I'm just concerned that there is a nearly 20 year gap where there weren't as many casual fans developed who are committed to the program , due to the team being so lousy.
i'm hoping we can be like southern hockey teams. where no one ever goes until they're good and all of a sudden they have phony bandwagon fans.

It seems like it's either 3 and out or a long drive for points or at least red zone for this offense. It's almost to the point where if we don't get 3-4 yards on 1st down, we can go ahead and get the punt unit lined up.

It seems like it's either 3 and out or a long drive for points or at least red zone for this offense. It's almost to the point where if we don't get 3-4 yards on 1st down, we can go ahead and get the punt unit lined up.
i'd love to know the run pass breakdown of those drives

we've been pretty runrunpasspunty

it just happens so fast we don't notice it

Here are all the 3 and out punts: only one time was it run, run, pass

Punt 1
Pass 8 yards
Sack -8 yards
Incomplete Pass

Punt 2
Run 1 yard
Pass 2 yards
Run 0 yards

Punt 3
Pass Incomplete
Pass Incomplete
Pass 4 yards

Punt 4
False start -5 yards
Run 2 yards
Pass Incomplete
Offsides Louisville 5 yards
Pass Incomplete

Punt 5
Pass Incomplete
Pass Incomplete
Pass Incomplete

Punt 6
Pass Incomplete
False start -5 yards
Run 9 yards
Pass Incomplete

Punt 7
Pass Incomplete
Pass 9 yards
Sack -12 yards

Punt 8
Pass 3 yards
Sack -8 yards
Pass Incomplete

Punt 9
Run 3 yards
Run 1 yard
Pass Incomplete

Here are all the 3 and out punts: only one time was it run, run, pass

Punt 1
Pass 8 yards
Sack -8 yards
Incomplete Pass

Punt 2
Run 1 yard
Pass 2 yards
Run 0 yards

Punt 3
Pass Incomplete
Pass Incomplete
Pass 4 yards

Punt 4
False start -5 yards
Run 2 yards
Pass Incomplete
Offsides Louisville 5 yards
Pass Incomplete

Punt 5
Pass Incomplete
Pass Incomplete
Pass Incomplete

Punt 6
Pass Incomplete
False start -5 yards
Run 9 yards
Pass Incomplete

Punt 7
Pass Incomplete
Pass 9 yards
Sack -12 yards

Punt 8
Pass 3 yards
Sack -8 yards
Pass Incomplete

Punt 9
Run 3 yards
Run 1 yard
Pass Incomplete
Yeah but it felt like more than that!

I think alot buy cheap seats then move into much better empty ones later in game

Was just going to say the same thing. Until we get the OL sorted out, running into the middle for a 1 yard gain is probably not going to move the sticks. That said, maybe it will work differently against teams that don't have Louisville's athletes.

But we saw several instances last Friday where our insistence on running [not critiquing the game plan logic] put us into third and long situations. Not sure if they were all 3-and-outs, but there were several times it stalled drives by making third down very difficult against a team that could get upfield and generate pressure, making it much more difficult to convert.

RF2044 said:
Was just going to say the same thing. Until we get the OL sorted out, running into the middle for a 1 yard gain is probably not going to move the sticks. That said, maybe it will work differently against teams that don't have Louisville's athletes. But we saw several instances last Friday where our insistence on running [not critiquing the game plan logic] put us into third and long situations. Not sure if they were all 3-and-outs, but there were several times it stalled drives by making third down very difficult against a team that could get upfield and generate pressure, making it much more difficult to convert.

If we were a touch more dangerous passing the ball, the inside would open up vs most teams I think.

Penalties were huge last game too. I think those are growing pains with a new system.

If we were a touch more dangerous passing the ball, the inside would open up vs most teams I think.

Penalties were huge last game too. I think those are growing pains with a new system.
i wonder if our big guys are too gassed to run block. might need to look at tulsa, eastern illinois(?), and bowling green first year rushing numbers

upperdeck said:
I dont think prices is the issue right now.. plenty of cheap tickets. people want a winner.. being entertained is not enough, not sure scoring points matters. 4 winnable games and two that i dont think are stretches in the next 6 weeks. if they can go 3-3 all hope is not lost. ND is not all that great either.

None of those cheap tickets are on the sidelines, which is humbling, especially on TV.

Unless McNabb comes back to play and he's 20 years younger, no one is paying $125 or $180 for a single game ticket. Even if they can write part of it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom