Tennessee fires Jeremy Pruitt / hires Josh Heupel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee fires Jeremy Pruitt / hires Josh Heupel

Remember Greg Atkins?
Marrone would have a coaching staff full of them that could recruit in the SEC.

He wouldn’t have to recruit hard at Tennessee they would recruit for themselves.

Marrone would have them 8-4 to 10-2 a lot.
They play Alabama, Georgia, Florida every year.
I do, and he would need a staff full of them, they do play them every year and get killed by them every year, I just don't buy that Tennessee sells its self these days.

Remember Greg Atkins?
Marrone would have a coaching staff full of them that could recruit in the SEC.

He wouldn’t have to recruit hard at Tennessee they would recruit for themselves.

Marrone would have them 8-4 to 10-2 a lot.
They play Alabama, Georgia, Florida every year.

Agreed, he would put together a solid staff that could recruit very well. He would be fine there and return them to 9-3 pretty routinely. O'Brien would do the same

As far as game planning and player development, Doug would knock it out of the park. He's great at those components. And the recruiting would be fine, it's Tennessee, they get recruits.

I think Doug would crush it at Tennessee, I'm just not sure that he wants to be part of the college game though.

Didn't he say when he went back to the NFL that his heart was always there? Although, dream job and all, he's said a bunch of things.

He would have to trade his love of Taylor Pork roll for Tennessee Pride Hot Roll Sausage

Marrone left Buffalo because his agent is smart and saw the team was going to change ownership groups.
He put a clause in the contract if the ownership group changed he could get out of the contract while being paid the amount due in the contract for no penalty.
Marrone’s agent did this for Bill Parcells when he was with the Dolphins and they got a new owner.
Parcels didn’t want to be locked into working for someone he didn’t agree to work for.

Marrone used Parcells as a mentor when he got the Bills job thru the mutual friendship with Sean Payton.

Marrone used the clause with Pegulas bought the Bills.
He got paid his full amount to not coach.
Then he thought he would the get the NY Jets job but Manish Metta used people who had an axe to grind with Marrone to kill his chances at that job because Marrone wouldn’t play ball with Metta.

Metta has a really shady past and he finally got his this year.

Marrone didn’t get the Jets job and worked his way to get the Jaguars job after being the assistant HC and OL coach.

Marrone is a pro coach. I mean if he goes Alabama he is coaching pros.
This is a great summary. And yes Marrone is more of a pro guy but I absolutely think he can do a good job coaching at a SEC school if it was something he had interest in.

Last edited:
As far as game planning and player development, Doug would knock it out of the park. He's great at those components. And the recruiting would be fine, it's Tennessee, they get recruits.

I think Doug would crush it at Tennessee, I'm just not sure that he wants to be part of the college game though.

Didn't he say when he went back to the NFL that his heart was always there? Although, dream job and all, he's said a bunch of things.
Right, all the assistants do the bulk of recruiting. Marrone just has to put his stamp on it and that would be easy because of his Pro background.

I take it you never attended any of Marrone's Monday luncheons at Armory Square?

I think he became very frustrated when he lost some guys that he thought he would get.

I know for a fact that he blamed our facilities for the problems he had in recruiting. I recall him making a pitch to a group of us - that if we could improve our facilities - including basic medical facilities - to the point where we were in the middle of the pack of the Big East, he would win conference titles.

I also seem to recall that Marrone was considered a great recruiter at Ga Tech and Georgia.

Last edited:
We should have never pulled the plug on Grob so quick. We could have only gotten better.

The problem with comparing Robinson to Fulmer, Brown and Solich is that those three won lots and lots of football games.

I am pretty sure that Solich was 9-3 the year he was fired.

Brown won a NC and Fulmer was a force in the SEC.

So, again, the comparison to Robinson, who won 10 games in four years, makes little sense.

Last edited:
They are competing with those schools for players, yes they started the season in the top 25, there was a time where they started every season in the top 15. Like I said its been 15 years since they played for an sec title. I love Knoxville I think its a great place to go to school but its not the same sell job that it used to be. Those top 10 recruiting classes didn't just magically end up there, both Butch Jones and Pruitt are regarded as very good recruiters, part of the reason both were hired. Now if Doug hired some really good recruiting assistants, could it work out? Sure, I just dont see him going there.
It wasn't just those two coaches. All of Derek Dooley's classes were top 20 too. One was 7th. He didn't have a reputation as some amazing recruiter.

The question wasn't whether he would go. It was whether he could succeed. It's an easy enough place to recruit to that he'd do fine there recruiting. He would also have the budget to hire good recruiting assistants. He's a good enough coach that he would win quickly with the talent they have which would then make it easier to recruit to.

Fwiw, I've lived here for almost 13 years and I hate Knoxville.

Damn I would like this type of Happy Meal.
giphy.gif

When I pictured bag man I didn't expect the bag to be a McDonalds bag. They should consider Five Guys. You get a lot of extra fries in those bags. Thats a two-fer.
Did you think the man's name would be Ronald?

If that's true, $EC or no $EC, that's got to be the death penalty. Tennessee may well have the most unethical track record in recent NCAA history. Remember the 'tutors'?