Tennessee Postgame Luau | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee Postgame Luau

Taylor is a bit of a tweener. but without moten's offense. and i understand that's a tall order.

Visceri or whatever his name was acted like Judah power elbowed him. Replay it didn't even look it connected at all.

What a dbag.
I don’t believe that to be true at all. Judah jumped right into him, elbow first

He can’t create on his own and they didn’t run anything for him.
Correct on your first point, incorrect on your 2nd. They tried multiple times to run him off screens and Tennessee had him scouted and took it away.

SU has no stars, but some play too much like they think they are. We did some good things today, but shot selection is horrible. This team can’t play zone unless McCloud is in the game. Our guards never ONCE drove and found an open man. JJ threw it to the opposite corner once to Bell, but JJ and Mintz are black holes. Noone cuts to the basket without the ball. I’m not sure after four games what our purpose is on offense. It’s just like playing pickup. No roles defined or putting the right people in pick and roles. Offense is just a mess.
This is the biggest concern. And inbound plays

SU has no stars, but some play too much like they think they are. We did some good things today, but shot selection is horrible. This team can’t play zone unless McCloud is in the game. Our guards never ONCE drove and found an open man. JJ threw it to the opposite corner once to Bell, but JJ and Mintz are black holes. Noone cuts to the basket without the ball. I’m not sure after four games what our purpose is on offense. It’s just like playing pickup. No roles defined or putting the right people in pick and roles. Offense is just a mess.
Shot selection costs us many points.

Against physical teams, we can‘t have McCloud, Brown and Benny combine for 9 rebounds and our starting guards shoot 7-28. We can’t win that way. Throw in Bell with one rebound and you see our problems. Kudos to Justin for getting 7 rebounds. Benny scored a quick 8 points and then was nonexistent the rest of the game. Benny was the only player who drove and dished the entire game.

Playing hard every play is something SU fans have really never had to question over the years. Sure they have had a player or two who has loafed but I really never questioned overall effort in a team…until recently.

The last few years under Jimmy they obviously didn’t have the talent as the 80’s - 2012 teams but I also started noticing a lot of individual players who just seemed as though they didn’t play every play giving max effort. We started to lose the 50/50 balls, saw less players diving to the floor to get a loose ball, or just “hustling” or whatever you want to call it. Sure, we all noticed talent was lacking as we struggled recruiting here the last few years (Freeman and Moore in 24 change that though), but effort seems lacking on this team, along with a bunch of just head scratching decisions.

Judah, struggles 1/2 a game or in todays 3/4 of the game, then turns it on? How does that happen so consistently with what’s supposed to be your best player. I don’t know that it’s lack of effort or what but how else can you explain it. Way to many turnovers and questionable decision making at best today.

JJ, I don’t even know what to say. I knew he wasn’t gonna be Steph Curry but my man’s jump shot looks worse than mine and I’m 49 with a bad back, bad knees and shoulders. Way to many turnovers, couple that with Mintz and the “best back court in the ACC” didn’t look like the best back court in Onondaga County.

Bell gets beat every single time on D. I’ve yet to see him keep his man in front of him…once. Sure he can hit 3’s, which is desperately needed, but his D is atrocious and his 1 board in 2 games….how does that even happen BTW, you almost have to be actively trying NOT to rebound for that stat. Effort is HIGHLY SUSPECT.

Questionable decisions. Let’s see, where do I begin. Let’s start with why did Maliq take that 3? It’s not just the shot either, it’s the game situation in which he took the shot that can’t happen. Down 5, had a bit of momentum going and our Center decides now is the time to take my first 3 of the year? I’ve never questioned Maliq’s decisions or effort ever, until that shot. He plays hard, has got to understand that’s not the time to take that shot. No other issues with Maliq though, if everyone played with his effort we would win more.

I get why they went zone…the first time. If the goal was to show how badly we play M2M AND Zone, I’d say mission accomplished. We are currently bad at both.

Copeland should be allowed shoot 3’s as often as GMac is, in practice only. He wasn’t just bad shooting today though, his 2 TO’s and multiple other poor decisions were on another level. Effort is never questioned though he plays hard, he just can’t shoot and has got to take care of the ball or he’s gonna be riding the pine.

No one wants to rebound. On the offensive end, a jump shot goes up and there are no SU players within 15 feet of the basket. They have the size and athleticism to really hit the boards, but apparently, not the desire to get in there and mix it up. This has to be fixed.
Rebounding is at least 75% desire.

We lost because we could not shoot. Many missed shots.
Many shots out of control or falling diving prayers.
We were way off and undisciplined.

The guy who had a hard time getting minutes at mid-major Seton Hall - and is just now finally showing he’s capable 3 years later - was so good as a freshman at SU that he should’ve gotten 40mpg while Girard got zero and watched from the bench. Per Syracusefan sources.
Not what anyone said, but keep your whiny narrative going.

I mean we are bringing in a top 30 player next year at Power Forward. Our guys are all sophomores. The team we just played is all juniors and seniors. We are striving to play like Houston, Baylor. Miami or Nova, not Purdue or UNC.
But how long before “top 30” player is ready to start?
Is he Carmelo 2.0?
Or Benny 2.0?

Some will say Tennessee was a teaching moment.

Yeah, I was going to mention something similar because it really bothered me that Mintz was on the bench so long just because he had picked up two fouls. The lead went from +9 to -5 at the half -- no offense whatsoever in last 10 minutes of the first half. Even though we made a run in the 2nd half, I thought that is where the game was lost.
Maybe our best player should be smart enough to not pick up those two fouls so early.

Peter Carey cost us 5 points in 3 minutes, Hima cant play?
Carey was a disaster a missed FT bounced directly to him and went through his hands the UT guy didn’t even have to make a play just pathetic.

Also worth noting Tennessee is absolutely ELITE defensively and it's not hard to see why (ranked 1 in adjusted defensive efficiency on ken pom). It should provide atleast some context as to why our best offensive players struggled like they did. Would expect to play a bit better on that end tomorrow.

Correct on your first point, incorrect on your 2nd. They tried multiple times to run him off screens and Tennessee had him scouted and took it away.
Those screens took him away from the basket, and no one actually connected on the screens.

I never understood why we decided to be in this tournament given the last few years we have had here

Maybe our best player should be smart enough to not pick up those two fouls so early.
Who are you calling our best player? Mintz? We have no best player at this point. Quickest maybe, but overall Mintz is a ball hogging hot dog who fails to run the offense or distribute to others. Point guards should make others on the team look good, and can not miss that many foul shots. He has potential but all unrealised.

However, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team step out of bounds under minimal pressure 5 times
the court markings were a bit murky. there was a lengthy discussion first half about a 3 pt shot in which i'm rather sure the refs were unsure about which line to use. the foot was nowhere close to either but rather firmly in between. that said the tropical ft lanes in the paint were a nice touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom