Tennessee Postgame Luau | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee Postgame Luau

Remember people Tennessee has 3 5th yr seniors and Cuse has none. Hopefully get 2 wins live with one. There schedule will make them ready for ACC Schedule.
They all looked old AF too from sitting up close it’s a way different game and had me more encouraged than not.

No clue what we’re in for tomorrow probably nothing good but if JJ and Judah actually play well the rest of the team should be ok. Can’t believe those two have let Red down like this.

Those screens took him away from the basket, and no one actually connected on the screens.
Of course they were away from the basket.They were trying to free up his outside shot. I have no idea what you mean by connected on the screen.

Wow, people really need to calm down a bit. 3-1, with a win already over a likely tournament team, and a respectable showing against the #7 team in the country for those who watched instead of just checking the final score. We'll probably lose our next game, I mean, we'll be healthy underdogs of course but hopefully we pull it off.

Assuming the worst, we'll beat Chaminade and be sitting at 4-2 going into a really key stretch of five games with LSU, @ UVA, Cornell, @ GTown, neutralish/@ Oregon. Based on what I've seen so far, 4-1 is not at all unreasonable in that stretch. Tack on a win over Niagara, and they would be 9-3 going into the heart of the ACC schedule at 0-1 in conference, and a .500 season in conference should get us into the tournament.

My guess is this team wins ~19 games in the regular season, but anywhere from 17 to 22 wouldn't shock me.

Anyway the point is, nobody should be talking about this being a bad team and an awful season, or only winning 10 or 15 games because we lost a hard fought game to the #7 team in the country on a neutral court.
they were getting 14.5 points and didnt cover...wow this fanbase has really lowered their expectations...

56 total points? no chance of winning down the stretch?

i get it there is a learning curve, new coach, young team

but that was a poor showing.

Can of whoopazz might be exactly what we need...
Yeah...but again...I thought last year and offseason would have humbled certain guys.

If anything, hope Red learns from the experience more than anyone.

Yeah...but again...I thought last year and offseason would have humbled certain guys.

If anything, hope Red learns from the experience more than anyone.

Let's hope.

They all looked old AF too from sitting up close it’s a way different game and had me more encouraged than not.

No clue what we’re in for tomorrow probably nothing good but if JJ and Judah actually play well the rest of the team should be ok. Can’t believe those two have let Red down like this.
Have they really though? They both resemble the same players as last year.

they were getting 14.5 points and didnt cover...wow this fanbase has really lowered their expectations...

56 total points? no chance of winning down the stretch?

i get it there is a learning curve, new coach, young team

but that was a poor showing.
I think when you post stuff like "theres still more talent on this roster than the majority of NCAABB" like you did, you are going to be disappointed, so I get it.

But now that you know it's not true, adjust your expectations and watch for the positives and improvements. It's a process.

I hate losing as much as anyone, but I'm quite encouraged. There's a lot thats fixable. Red had us ready. You cannot miss free throws and turn it over on the inbounds consistently if you want to beat a top 10 team.
If we turned it over on the inbounds consistently, did Red really have us ready?

I think when you post stuff like "theres still more talent on this roster than the majority of NCAABB" like you did, you are going to be disappointed, so I get it.

But now that you know it's not true, adjust your expectations and watch for the positives and improvements. It's a process.
To be fair, 80% of this board thought Judah and JJ were the top 5 best backcourts in all of basketball, bar far the best in the ACC. I’m still trying to figure out why anyone thought this, never made sense.

Who are you calling our best player? Mintz? We have no best player at this point. Quickest maybe, but overall Mintz is a ball hogging hot dog who fails to run the offense or distribute to others. Point guards should make others on the team look good, and can not miss that many foul shots. He has potential but all unrealised.
I was referencing someone else referring to Judah as our best. I tend to agree with you.

Any word on when Hima will be back? Because Carey clearly is not ready for this type of game, Hima definitely wouldn't be any worse

Of course they were away from the basket.They were trying to free up his outside shot. I have no idea what you mean by connected on the screen.
Moving away from the basket. I would prefer he be able to receive a pass and step into his shot. Inside out plays might be the best option.

Screens only work if the defender is actually contacted physically by the screen setter.

Any word on when Hima will be back? Because Carey clearly is not ready for this type of game, Hima definitely wouldn't be any worse
I will say this. IF and that's a huge IF, he's healthy, the zone would make more sense as he was always pretty decent for 3-5 mins in it affecting shots.

Who are you calling our best player? Mintz? We have no best player at this point. Quickest maybe, but overall Mintz is a ball hogging hot dog who fails to run the offense or distribute to others. Point guards should make others on the team look good, and can not miss that many foul shots. He has potential but all unrealised.
It was clear tonight he was frustrated that he couldn't get by better athletes. His first drive that got swatted was a harbinger of things to come. His biggest problem is he thinks he's better than he is and doesn't trust his mates

nah...Im not adjusting down my expectations and grading the team on a curve. this is syracuse...not st johns.

i think the injury to westry, the (i think) injury to starling's shoulders (and subsequent loss of ability to shoot) and the poor play of mintz...are hurting this team and were hard to predict...i still like the talent on the team...in theory (although the frontcourt is very weak)

its the execution that is most troubling...mentally, the team is a lot worse than its talent, imo...

which has been an issue with the team for a while now...and the reason I wanted a new coach.

tennessee didnt impress me. they are good on defense though.

but if I knew the team was going to play like this, I would prefer to keep Boeheim.

I never understood why we decided to be in this tournament given the last few years we have had here
you get fat sitting home eating cupcakes. you get sharper putting your mettle to the stone.

Phew we can beat this Zags team tomorrow Purdue off a loss was a death sentence.

My boy Naheem is gonna be hosting another block party against the Zags clunky bigs has a good one today!

Phew we can beat this Zags team tomorrow Purdue off a loss was a death sentence.

My boy Naheem is gonna be hosting another block party against the Zags clunky bigs has a good one today!
We can beat them if the Zags shoot as bad as they did today. We all know how that works though.

The game was over with 3 mins left, I don't really care that Tennessee ran up the score while we were in total desperation mode. But we were within 7 until then, and within reach for 37 mins. Lots to build on, lots to learn from, but we proved we belong on the court with one of the best teams in the country.

If they play as hard as they played today every game from here on out, they're dancing. If they do that and eliminate their three or four worst shot selections, they're probably winning ~22 regular season games, a couple ACC tourney games, and getting a 6 or 7 seed.

A lot to be optimistic about in Game #4.

To be fair, 80% of this board thought Judah and JJ were the top 5 best backcourts in all of basketball, bar far the best in the ACC. I’m still trying to figure out why anyone thought this, never made sense.
JJ was a top 20 recruit and McDonalds All American coming out of high school. He was playing injured for a good portion of last season and still made the All ACC Freshman team. Judah was on the All Freshman ACC team, too, and is a pre season All ACC First teamer this year. That’s why there were reasonable expectations that we should have one of the best backcourts in the ACC. Red clearly still has lots of work to do to mold this group into a good team that can have a chance at making the tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom