Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Stanford will never let Texas Tech and Baylor in.
For academics for one and religion on the other one.

Not sure on TCU.
Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech might work if Stanford could be talked into it.

Religion affiliation kills BYU for the PAC-12 as well.
Texas Tech was originally part of the Big 12 contingent 10 years ago. Stanford was apparently OK with it then. Depends on which schools Texas Tech is paired with. Athletically they fit and they are a logical travel partner with Colorado.

There was a lot of talk that the ACC wouldn't take Louisville because of academics. I'm not hanging my hat on the academics trumping everything else. I think Stanford can be convinced to take an "academic dreg" if it's the best thing for the long term viability of the conference in the new landscape.

I really don't see the Pac 12 taking TCU or Baylor though. I suspect that's exploratory on those 2 schools parts and not the other way around. Of the remaining 8 schools I think those 2 are at the highest risk of being left behind in a G5 conference.

I hope so. The conferences are still run by local rubes to some extent so i hope the real visionaries are able to cobble this together so that Alabama, Syracuse, UCLA, Colorado, etc are all at the same table creating a league that maximizes value for the stakeholders, the students, the fans, and bends toward some sort of geographic sanity.

Be awesome if that's the endgame

Personally I think 4 x 18 is the way to go. With 18 teams you can have 3 divisions of 6. The division winner plus the best 2nd place team make the conference final four. The conference winners make the national final four. So it is like a 16 team playoff.

For BBall everyone makes the tournament (72 teams).

I read the Big XII GOR OU and UT aren’t going to leave before 2024.
The SEC will likely be fine with that but the GOR says schools leaving must give up 2 years of TV revenue and pay any losses the conference garners while they are gone.
That would be billions.

Thus those 2 will just wait and the SEC will be fine.

Exactly. It’s mind boggling how folks are so dismissive of the GOR. It hasn’t ever been legally tested for a reason…it has serious teeth! UT/OU and the SEC all likely calculated this eventuality in their negotiations. 4 years is NOT a long time to wait it out.

Last edited:
Texas Tech was originally part of the Big 12 contingent 10 years ago. Stanford was apparently OK with it then. Depends on which schools Texas Tech is paired with. Athletically they fit and they are a logical travel partner with Colorado.

There was a lot of talk that the ACC wouldn't take Louisville because of academics. I'm not hanging my hat on the academics trumping everything else. I think Stanford can be convinced to take an "academic dreg" if it's the best thing for the long term viability of the conference in the new landscape.

I really don't see the Pac 12 taking TCU or Baylor though. I suspect that's exploratory on those 2 schools parts and not the other way around. Of the remaining 8 schools I think those 2 are at the highest risk of being left behind in a G5 conference.

IMO Houston is the better choice. They offer everything Texas Tech does but in a major city.

Spite is bad for business. There is a number that makes it worthwhile to let them go early.

For example

Let's say that the TV money is $20M per team currently. Without Texas and OU it would be $12M per team. If they forfeit their TV revenue the next two years, you let them go 2 years early, and they cover the losses ($64M), plus add an extra $16M to make it worth while, why would you not let them go?

So if you are Iowa State if you don't let them leave early you make $80M total over the next 4 years. If you let them go early you make $92M ($20M + $5M + $20M + $5M + $12M + $8M + $12M + $8M + $2M). Are you really turning down $12M out of spite?
I could see this working. But I still don’t see the urgency in an immediate move by UT/OU/SEC. Put the pieces in place, make your intention clear that you will not re-sign a GOR extension in 4 years, and wait it out. I could see the B12 leftovers agreeing to some $$ figure that avoids a waiting period and/or legal challenge. Win/Win.

If things implode, we’ll begrudgingly add WVU I think.

Kansas is a good add for basketball, but that’s about it.

ND wants to join the ACC, just needs more old boosters to kick it

I could see this working. But I still don’t see the urgency in an immediate move by UT/OU/SEC. Put the pieces in place, make your intention clear that you will not re-sign a GOR extension in 4 years, and wait it out. I could see the B12 leftovers agreeing to some $$ figure that avoids a waiting period and/or legal challenge. Win/Win.

There isn't an urgency but the B12 could withhold payouts to Texas and Oklahoma for 4 years if they wanted. Then you get into legal battles. It is easier to settle and move on for all parties.

There isn't an urgency but the B12 could withhold payouts to Texas and Oklahoma for 4 years if they wanted. Then you get into legal battles. It is easier to settle and move on for all parties.
No they can’t.
They are bound to pay Oklahoma and Texas as long as they are members of the conference.
Texas and Oklahoma would owe 2 years of distributions on their way out.
If Texas and Oklahoma stayed the 4 years they would be entitled to 2 years of TV money.

If things implode, we’ll begrudgingly add WVU I think.

Kansas is a good add for basketball, but that’s about it.

ND wants to join the ACC, just needs more old boosters to kick it
All the ND grads I know - albeit a very small sampling - could care less about the ACC much less any conference affiliation. They see themselves - rightly or wrongly - as the king of the hill needing nobody.

IMO Houston is the better choice. They offer everything Texas Tech does but in a major city.

I'm not sure how much of the Houston market UH actually delivers vs Texas A&M and UT - the Pac 12 would be in direct competition with the SEC for that market with two Texas SEC schools physically within 2 hours of there. I'd have to think Houston would be saturated with SEC marketing and content. Putting everything else aside - I think that's a huge issue with UH and i think in conjunction with academics has always been a factor holding UH back as an attractive P5 option.

Distance is also a secondary factor there - if Colorado is as far east as the Pac 12 goes, Houston is 1k miles from the next closest school.

Tech geographically is a better fit, is historically decent in football and basketball, is 40 spots behind Houston in the US News rankings but once you get outside the top 150 that probably is negligible all things equal, and it's on it's own in West Texas and probably could help with the Pac 12 with the Albuquerque/Santa Fe market which is a top 50 market. Granted not nearly as large as Houston's market but really no P5 competition there other than national viewers and a couple of G5 schools.

Being reported that Kansas has reached out to Big10.
Figured that was coming. I'd have to think their first choice is the B1G Followed by the Pac 12. But like Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech, who the conferences want is most important :)

The super conferences are coming and maybe it comes with geographical sanity. If B10 joined the cartel of ACC and they figured out proper divisions amongst their inventory, that would be a shot across the SEC bow. B12/Pac 10 could do the same thing.

Adding to my post earlier - to be very clear - I'm thrilled that SU found a spot in the ACC. We were lucky not to be completely left behind. Unfortunately, we also have become an also ran in football. Maybe this can change - hope so. Don't think it likely though. We haven't landed a 5 star in over 20 years.

I would hate to be a Big 12 member now. They are all possibly screwed. If T Boone Pickens were still alive - betcha he'd have something to say to the Oklahoma legislature about this.

No they can’t.
They are bound to pay Oklahoma and Texas as long as they are members of the conference.
Texas and Oklahoma would owe 2 years of distributions on their way out.
If Texas and Oklahoma stayed the 4 years they would be entitled to 2 years of TV money.

The B12 can say TV payout minus damages nets to zero. It wouldn't likely hold up in court but then you need to actually go to court. Texas and Oklahoma are at the mercy of the conference. If the B12 is spiteful they can make the next 4 years painful. Say hello to Thursday and Friday night football home games. Forget about weekend crowds for BBall.

Not sure if it was already talked about in the thread but according to this ESPN article the ACC believed that it could acquire Texas, Oklahoma, and Norte Dame before this SEC leak. Seems like Texas and Oklahoma were using the ACC as leverage.

The article also states that the ACC and PAC-12 may merge or cooperate in some manner to balance things out against the SEC.

Last edited:
200.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom