Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Not necessarily directed at you but…pray tell, why then has a GOR never been challenged by any conference? Why would ESPN insist that the ACC get a GOR before they’d consent to a huge investment like the ACCN?
Why does every major conference, except for the SEC who boasts about not needing one, have a GOR? Why did the timing of this latest TX/OU saga coincide with the B12 GOR set to expire in 4 years, why didn’t they act before then if the GOR was not a true deterrent.
Speculation by fans about the effectiveness of GOR’s is fine, but I’ll stick to that old Bill Parcells adage: “You are, what your record says you are”. And frankly the GOR record, speaks for itself. JMHO
As for litigating GORs, there are only 2 conferences that would even be at risk of a challenge, the Big 12 and the ACC, but nobody has left since they went into effect. Maryland left the ACC before the GORs. We may get a challenge from Texas and Oklahoma and that would set the legal precedent.

As for litigating GORs, there are only 2 conferences that would even be at risk of a challenge, the Big 12 and the ACC, but nobody has left since they went into effect. Maryland left the ACC before the GORs. We may get a challenge from Texas and Oklahoma and that would set the legal precedent.
Agreed. I think the 16x4 schools need to have a bigger conversation together at this point. I mean the ad hoc way they are going about it will ultimately kill the sport as a national interest story. Rutgers in the Big isn't bringing eyeballs to the Northeast.

There's soo much money at stake that the conferences, as a whole, should just go about it in an organized manner and figure out a way everyone makes more money together and divide these teams into unions/conferences/pods to maximize fan interest across the country.

Of course, i'm asking for the moon and it won't happen but with more tv people in the college world who knows..

This isn’t as important as it was the last go round for us. We suck at football and really don’t have a chance of ever being good again. The program has been bottom quartile for the past 20 years. It’s over. Turn out the lights, or remain a bottom feeder in the ACC. Not much difference.

Basketball can survive anywhere. If the ACC lives or dies, it really doesn't matter. Top 50 team, and bubble come March. Kids will come to the Dome for a few more years unless Wildhack botches the hire.

NIL will kill some programs. Probably ours.
You do realize if we had just a competent o line the last 2 years we are bowling? Our 10 win season wasn’t long ago. I think you sure stay on the basketball side of this site cuz you don’t know what your talking about.

Agreed. I think the 16x4 schools need to have a bigger conversation together at this point. I mean the ad hoc way they are going about it will ultimately kill the sport as a national interest story. Rutgers in the Big isn't bringing eyeballs to the Northeast.

There's soo much money at stake that the conferences, as a whole, should just go about it in an organized manner and figure out a way everyone makes more money together and divide these teams into unions/conferences/pods to maximize fan interest across the country.

Of course, i'm asking for the moon and it won't happen but with more tv people in the college world who knows..
16x4 doesn’t happen if their aren’t 4 teams appealing to the PAC-12 from the Big XII.

Or, UT/OU puts the mechanism in place and waits out the GOR for the next 4 years.
The timing of this is not a coincidence. Rumor is that A&M leaked this news to try & gum up the works. But even then, there’s likely no need for a legal challenge if both schools simply say, and it’s being reported they will: “We will not be signing an extension to the GOR”.
So yeah, common denominator remains the GOR as an effective deterrent. Those are facts, not just fan speculation.

This isn’t as important as it was the last go round for us. We suck at football and really don’t have a chance of ever being good again. The program has been bottom quartile for the past 20 years. It’s over. Turn out the lights, or remain a bottom feeder in the ACC. Not much difference.

Basketball can survive anywhere. If the ACC lives or dies, it really doesn't matter. Top 50 team, and bubble come March. Kids will come to the Dome for a few more years unless Wildhack botches the hire.

Note to self:
Never vacation at Disney World- aka “The happiest place on earth”, with this guy!
Sheesh.

Last edited:
Note to self:
“Never vacation at Disney World- aka “The happiest place on earth”, with this guy”!
Sheesh.
The ACC should have combined with the Big 12 a few years ago. You could have had 6 pods or 4.
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU

BC
Syracuse
Pitt
WV

Miami
FSU
Clemson
GT

NC
NCST
Wake
Duke

Louisville
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St

Virginia
Virginia Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Could have had it all, the first super conference, and Still had Notre Dame.

Big 12's 2021 anthem...

1627046943638.png

16x4 doesn’t happen if their aren’t 4 teams appealing to the PAC-12 from the Big XII.

Yep. What will drive the Pac 12 to 16 will be a desire to have a footprint in the central time zone. If they don't have that, then I don't see a path for the Pac 12 to go to 16. They could go to 14 though with UNLV and San Diego St for a market play for those two markets, both top 60.

Anyone thinking that streaming negates markets, geographies and time zone representation doesn't understand college football viewership.

The ACC and PAC 12 should merge and shut this whole thing down with the SEC!

The ACC and PAC 12 should merge and shut this whole thing down with the SEC!

Again, my point stands , why not just all the conferences merge at this point and just create their own rules. They can operate like professional sports and charge teams that want to be added down the line.

I’m glad it’s a sunny Friday.

If I read this on a rainy Monday I might have staple gunned myself to a slow death.

I think the Big Ten would have its eyes on Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech. All three are premier large public institutions that are similar in size and scope to Big Ten schools. Then add Kansas to arrive at 18 schools
That was my point. The B1G wants UNC and UVA (those were Jim Delaney’s white whales) and possibly Duke and Ga Tech, but they could use Florida State and Clemson to pry them all loose. Get FSU and Clemson to make waves about leaving and joining the B1G and hope that makes the others jump ship. Also, the B1G football giants like OSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc. might want to push for an expansion into the southern territory anyway to compete with the SEC. However, massive all-in-one expansions like this have proven difficult to pull off and unlikely—and hopefully continue to be, for Syracuse’s sake. Texas and OU to the SEC is much more logical.

Last edited:
Yep. What will drive the Pac 12 to 16 will be a desire to have a footprint in the central time zone. If they don't have that, then I don't see a path for the Pac 12 to go to 16. They could go to 14 though with UNLV and San Diego St for a market play for those two markets, both top 60.

Anyone thinking that streaming negates markets, geographies and time zone representation doesn't understand college football viewership.
Yep. I don’t miss a Syracuse game. I will catch the big SEC game or B1G game if it fits in what I’m already doing.

I think it’s shortsighted to not build up all of the regions as a whole. But we don’t have a CFB commissioner. Just greedy conferences and hanger ons

I think Texas and OU wait til 2025 to leave when the Big 12 TV contract expires.

Again, my point stands , why not just all the conferences merge at this point and just create their own rules. They can operate like professional sports and charge teams that want to be added down the line.
That is what is happening. This is step 1. Kill off one conference (Big 12). Get to the Super 60 or Big 64. Breakaway from the NCAA and the "small schools" and all of the NCAA rules. Pretty much pay players straight up through the schools and have them be employees for the time they are there. Cut an NFL-like TV deal for themselves in the Billions. Have a college football playoff where they don't have to share $$ with the Costal Carolina's of the world.

And with the exception of MARCH MADNESS being vastly different, none of the other sports will be affected all too much. And more money will flow into the Mega 4 Conferences of 60 or 64 teams.

That is what is happening. This is step 1. Kill off one conference (Big 12). Get to the Super 60 or Big 64. Breakaway from the NCAA and the "small schools" and all of the NCAA rules. Pretty much pay players straight up through the schools and have them be employees for the time they are there. Cut an NFL-like TV deal for themselves in the Billions. Have a college football playoff where they don't have to share $$ with the Costal Carolina's of the world.

And with the exception of MARCH MADNESS being vastly different, none of the other sports will be affected all too much. And more money will flow into the Mega 4 Conferences of 60 or 64 teams.

I hope so. The conferences are still run by local rubes to some extent so i hope the real visionaries are able to cobble this together so that Alabama, Syracuse, UCLA, Colorado, etc are all at the same table creating a league that maximizes value for the stakeholders, the students, the fans, and bends toward some sort of geographic sanity.

Be awesome if that's the endgame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom