Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

As for litigating GORs, there are only 2 conferences that would even be at risk of a challenge, the Big 12 and the ACC, but nobody has left since they went into effect. Maryland left the ACC before the GORs. We may get a challenge from Texas and Oklahoma and that would set the legal precedent.

IMO the GOR will end up being treated like a buyout. So if they go to court the ruling will say the estimated TV rights for Texas sports is $x per year. There are 3 years left on the GOR so Texas owes the B12 $3x. Or maybe they avoid court and just settle. The B12 will say pay us $x and Texas will say $y and they settle on $z.

IMO the GOR will end up being treated like a buyout. So if they go to court the ruling will say the estimated TV rights for Texas sports is $x per year. There are 3 years left on the GOR so Texas owes the B12 $3x. Or maybe they avoid court and just settle. The B12 will say pay us $x and Texas will say $y and they settle on $z.
Do damages factor into this kind of litigation?

I read the Big XII GOR OU and UT aren’t going to leave before 2024.
The SEC will likely be fine with that but the GOR says schools leaving must give up 2 years of TV revenue and pay any losses the conference garners while they are gone.
That would be billions.

Thus those 2 will just wait and the SEC will be fine.

If these reports about back channel discussions for the last year with out A&M knowing are true, what does A&M do? Eat the poop sandwich filled with the new gobs of money? Start looking to the Big10 for a move? They hated UT, they were one of the largest reasons for the move to the SEC, now your current conference stabs you in the back to go get the team/reason you left?! I mean, yikes

Do damages factor into this kind of litigation?

What damages can they claim? If ESPN or FOX reduces the per team payout those three years, then yes there are damages. if they honor the TV payout then no.

Hopefully we are extending offers to West Virginia and University of Kansas!

A TCU insider says they're talking to the Pac12

Stanford will never let Texas Tech and Baylor in.
For academics for one and religion on the other one.

Not sure on TCU.
Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech might work if Stanford could be talked into it.

Religion affiliation kills BYU for the PAC-12 as well.

I read the Big XII GOR OU and UT aren’t going to leave before 2024.
The SEC will likely be fine with that but the GOR says schools leaving must give up 2 years of TV revenue and pay any losses the conference garners while they are gone.
That would be billions.

Thus those 2 will just wait and the SEC will be fine.

I interpret that as saying you need to give us 2 years notice before you leave. During those 2 years you get no TV money. So Texas gets no TV money in 2021 and 2022. They need to buy back their TV rights for 2023 and 2024. If the TV networks honor the per team payout in 2023 and 2024 then Texas owes nothing else. If the networks reduce the payout then Texas is liable for the difference. Either way that won't be billions.

I interpret that as saying you need to give us 2 years notice before you leave. During those 2 years you get no TV money. So Texas gets no TV money in 2021 and 2022. They need to buy back their TV rights for 2023 and 2024. If the TV networks honor the per team payout in 2023 and 2024 then Texas owes nothing else. If the networks reduce the payout then Texas is liable for the difference. Either way that won't be billions.
No they would owe 72 million dollars and then would owe damages.
The second paragraph would be a huge amount of money. Which is why OU and UT would wait till 2024.

E66ISNvVIAAg9xH.png

Stanford will never let Texas Tech and Baylor in.
For academics for one and religion on the other one.

Not sure on TCU.
Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech might work if Stanford could be talked into it.

Religion affiliation kills BYU for the PAC-12 as well.

Iowa is too far away and not contiguous. I don't think they could get the votes needed but Kansas, Houston, Oklahoma State, UNLV makes a lot of sense.

P12 West
USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal

P12 North
Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State

P12 East
Kansas, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Houston

P12 South
Arizona, Arizona State. Utah, UNLV

The second paragraph would be a huge amount of money. Which is why OU and UT would wait till 2024.

E66ISNvVIAAg9xH.png
Correct. The GORs were written to make it almost impossible for schools to leave conferences. They are not normal contracts and are not going to be break to get out of. There was complete chaos with conference realignment until the GORs went into effect. The only reason this is coming up now is because we are getting relatively close to the expiration of the B12 GOR (which again expires almost 4 years from now, on June 30, 2025).

I agree with Stevenson. ACC needs a Hail Mary now - ND and Penn St. (Which will never happen as PSU has become a midwest facing institution - their fans love the OSU's and Michigan's of the world. They do not give an S about "little" schools like Syr, BC, Wake, etc.).

And despite all the decades of acrimony between ND and the Big 10 - objectively ND fits very well in the Big 10 - geographically and culturally - with their Michigan and Michigan State rivalries.

Very worried about this move by OU and Tex. Sickens me.

I loved playing PSU every year. We really s*** the bed in '93 by not being able to bring them into the fold.

Now we are an also ran in the ACC. Heaven help SU if it doesn't handle the new coach when Boeheim retires.

E66ISNvVIAAg9xH.png

That doesn't really change what I said. Texas will owe what their TV rights are worth and any reduction in TV revenue.

The 8 teams being left behind can either settle or let Texas wait it out. Why in the hell would you allow them to wait it out? That is like a small market baseball team having a Top 5 player whose contract is running out. You can't afford to sign him to a long term deal. So you might as well get something and trade him. Why would the remaining B12 schools turn down $10M each to let Texas go early?

I agree with Stevenson. ACC needs a Hail Mary now - ND and Penn St. (Which will never happen as PSU has become a midwest facing institution - their fans love the OSU's and Michigan's of the world. They do not give an S about "little" schools like Syr, BC, Wake, etc.).

And despite all the decades of acrimony between ND and the Big 10 - objectively ND fits very well in the Big 10 - geographically and culturally - with their Michigan and Michigan State rivalries.

I loved playing PSU every year. We really s*** the bed in '93 by not being able to bring them into the fold.

Now we are an also ran in the ACC. Heaven help SU if it doesn't handle the new coach when Boeheim retires.
why does the acc need a hail mary , has been no talk any of our members leaving, nd boosyters want no part of joing the big ten or any conference but more so big ten

Or what...I mean people keep talking about these crazy counter moves but what happens next?

At this point, TBH I don't care if there's two conferences and Syracuse remains with the other 50 plus teams that aren't star destroyer programs. To me it doesn't make sense to have conferences if there isn't other teams playing in other conferences where the stakes at the end of the day are similar.

As I said earlier, it is more likely nothing happens to the ACC or Syracuse as a result of this. Deck chairs are moving around but probably nothing happens to impact our chances of playing in a playoff that we'll never play in anyway.

why does the acc need a hail mary , has been no talk any of our members leaving, nd boosyters want no part of joing the big ten or any conference but more so big ten
ACC isn’t coming out of this stronger.

The ACC conference is locked into a long term deal which saves it short term but also hurts it long term.

That doesn't really change what I said. Texas will owe what their TV rights are worth and any reduction in TV revenue.

The 8 teams being left behind can either settle or let Texas wait it out. Why in the hell would you allow them to wait it out? That is like a small market baseball team having a Top 5 player whose contract is running out. You can't afford to sign him to a long term deal. So you might as well get something and trade him. Why would the remaining B12 schools turn down $10M each to let Texas go early?
Bitterness.

If those schools know they are screwed long term then breadcrumbs aren’t going to interest them.

It’s not like Texas and Oklahoma would be paying more than the increase in revenues they would be gettting.

Disagree cactus. Don't see a sky is falling scenario here at all. If the ACC had been raided and we lost a couple of our top echelon programs then there could be some concerns. With Tx and OU leaving though, to me that just means the BigXII is getting cannibalized and will be absorbed. Honestly I think we are more secure than we were after this unless we get something out of left field so to speak.

Disagree cactus. Don't see a sky is falling scenario here at all. If the ACC had been raided and we lost a couple of our top echelon programs then there could be some concerns. With Tx and OU leaving though, to me that just means the BigXII is getting cannibalized and will be absorbed. Honestly I think we are more secure than we were after this unless we get something out of left field so to speak.
Actually the ACC should have Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, and FSU all inquire through back channels about SEC membership. That would make Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina remember the veto that Texas A&M was talking about

ACC isn’t coming out of this stronger.

The ACC conference is locked into a long term deal which saves it short term but also hurts it long term.
lots of assumptions on your part no one really knows whats going to happen

That is what is happening. This is step 1. Kill off one conference (Big 12). Get to the Super 60 or Big 64. Breakaway from the NCAA and the "small schools" and all of the NCAA rules. Pretty much pay players straight up through the schools and have them be employees for the time they are there. Cut an NFL-like TV deal for themselves in the Billions. Have a college football playoff where they don't have to share $$ with the Costal Carolina's of the world.

And with the exception of MARCH MADNESS being vastly different, none of the other sports will be affected all too much. And more money will flow into the Mega 4 Conferences of 60 or 64 teams.

Honestly, this is a blueprint i could agree with. Now that we’re in with the kool kids and since change is inevitable, we have to evolve with the situation…like it or not.

An idea put forward previously as a lure and help to ND was to have Navy join for football, playing ND every year, so that game is a conference game for them and wouldn't be squeezed out by having 9 conference games (if that was the number chosen). Navy is barely competitive in the Patriot League, while Georgetown and Villanova don't play FBS (D-1A) football and have excellent Olympic sports and basketball. So, Navy would take football slot #16 and either Georgetown or Villanova would take slot #16 for all the other sports.
I just think that it's a bad idea to have a team in the conference for only some sports (unless you are ND -- and I don't like that). Have we forgotten the lessons from the oBE?

Bitterness.

If those schools know they are screwed long term then breadcrumbs aren’t going to interest them.

It’s not like Texas and Oklahoma would be paying more than the increase in revenues they would be gettting.

Spite is bad for business. There is a number that makes it worthwhile to let them go early.

For example

Let's say that the TV money is $20M per team currently. Without Texas and OU it would be $12M per team. If they forfeit their TV revenue the next two years, you let them go 2 years early, and they cover the losses ($64M), plus add an extra $16M to make it worth while, why would you not let them go?

So if you are Iowa State if you don't let them leave early you make $80M total over the next 4 years. If you let them go early you make $92M ($20M + $5M + $20M + $5M + $12M + $8M + $12M + $8M + $2M). Are you really turning down $12M out of spite?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom