Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I wouldn’t say anything conference-related is forever. This would be those teams’ 3rd conference in the past quarter century.
(Which is why I attached the parenthetical phrase :).)

Clemson has an easy path to the college playoff every year right now and has built itself in to a power house. Would you really leave to enter the gauntlet of the SEC? Not sure I would. Some blue blood is going to be a mediocre .500 club in that league.

Clemson has an easy path to the college playoff every year right now and has built itself in to a power house. Would you really leave to enter the gauntlet of the SEC? Not sure I would. Some blue blood is going to be a mediocre .500 club in that league.
You could say the same for Texas, other than the fact they suck. But if they didn’t suck they would have any easier path to the playoffs. They’re going to get crushed in the SEC, they’re not leaving to win championships. $$$

You could say the same for Texas, other than the fact they suck. But if they didn’t suck they would have any easier path to the playoffs. They’re going to get crushed in the SEC, they’re not leaving to win championships. $$$
True regarding Texas, they are committing to eternal mediocrity with this move

It’s an interesting question for a fanbase. Would we as a bottom third ACC school want to leave for let’s say the SEC just to get more money? Do we really believe we’d have more success on the field? The budgets those schools have dwarf what we have even with a couple extra ten or twenty million a year. Point being…..money doesn’t equal wins or a happy fanbase.

ACC/B10 need to be proactive and not sit and watch SEC make all the decision on conference realignments. They should be talking to each other now and saying F the SEC we’re going to make the 1st super conference now instead of playing catch up.
The B1G has nothing to worry about though.

The B1G has nothing to worry about though.

I agree. It’s basically the SEC and B10 punching their own ticket. But I do think the B10 can’t fall behind the forward thinking the SEC is doing to continue improving revenue. B10 is always going to make $ but all these moves are happening b/c teams want more $. Could a mega conference of ACC and B10 make more $ than the B10 currently makes? I think so.

ESPN is reporting it could cost upwards of $76 million each for Texas and Oklahoma to leave the Big 12 early. With SEC money and deep pocket donors, it looks like Texas and Oklahoma could leave after this season or next.

I guess the Big 12’s GORs are not that big of an obstacle for schools to leave for a better conference.

ESPN is reporting it could cost upwards of $76 million each for Texas and Oklahoma to leave the Big 12 early. With SEC money and deep pocket donors, it looks like Texas and Oklahoma could leave after this season or next.

I guess the Big 12’s GORs are not that big of an obstacle for schools to leave for a better conference.
Not many schools can find $76M.

Well, well, well, Cuse fans, a potential nuke for college sports may have be nearing explosion. If the SEC could get UT and OU, then SEC money will become even bigger than if the Big Ten were to add Notre Dame.

I spent a lot of years trying to explain it to old time ACC fans and Big East fans, and I'll give a quick recap: College sports TV deals are about football, 1st, 2nd, and probably also 3rd. These football based TV deals are first and foremost, preponderantly, about a combination of two things 1) recent TV ratings for league members and 2) average attendance of league members. Average attendance matters immensely because it proves the size and loyalty of the fan bases of league members. Recent National Championships and Major Bowls/Playoffs are small potatoes compared to the above.

The ACC is at a rather alarming disadvantage vis a vis the SEC and Big Ten because we have multiple smaller private schools and even small state schools. For example, UNC would be easily the smallest BT school, and UVA, Clemson, and GT all are smaller than UNC. Then tack on Dook, Wake, BC, and Miami, and large private school Syracuse and large semi-private school Pitt both with small attendance, and you should see the ACC as handicapped.

Size alone, of course, means zilch. Maryland was the largest school in the ACC its entire ACC history, and Maryland has average attendance that would be a joke to all SEC schools but private Vanderbilt.

The best thing that could happen for the ACC out of this is that A&M goes on a hate fest and refuses to accept Texas, which leads to Arkansas people telling their tales of hating Texas at least as much as the Aggies do. If both assert a staunch opposition to Texas, and go public, while agreeing they would vote for OU, they could prevent the offer for Texas. I think the SEC requires 4 No votes out of 14 members to reject. But if 2 schools are strongly opposed to Texas, would the SEC, which is already rich as Croesus, push the agenda and risk rupturing SEC good feelings and good will among members?

To make that stick, the Aggies have to show brains and balls. One thing they must do is contact the ACC about the possibility of joining to stay away from Texas, and make certain the SEC office is fully aware. The ACC should not wait on that; the ACC should contact AM by tonight and offer a safe landing spot with the right to name a 2nd Big 12 member as entering partner if ND still wishes to be a 5/8ths football member. I have no idea if A&M would pick Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, or Ok St, but I would take any of them to get A&M, a huge school with very passionate fans, located in a very large state loaded with football talent.

At the same time, the ACC must assume that this news means Texas and OU are definitely ready to leave the Big 12, because the damage done so far cannot be repaired. The Big 12 as we have known it is now Dead Man Walking. The ACC must make its pitch to the pair. That pitch must focus on football facts: each will have larger advantages in the ACC (based on their football histories and, especially, their average attendances) than they ever can have in the SEC. Anybody who thinks that either OU or Texas has any real shot to dominate any possible SEC division is delusional. Anybody who doubts that both Texas and OU easily could be part of a small group of 3 to 5 schools totally dominating ACC football is equally delusional.

The ACC also must explore if any schools in the SEC East are upset that the SEC may want to move even more to the west, with 2 football Giants. If both Texas and A&M are in the SEC, alongside OU, how much does conference power shift hard westward? How much luster could come off rivalries in the East while new members Texas and OU add to the sexiness of the Western half of the league? Other than a slightly richer TV deal, what can Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee gain by the SEC adding Texas and OU? Does Tennessee want to immediately become 'the other' and 'the lesser' orange clad UT in its own league?

The ACC must nudge the non-Elite SEC football members (Arkansas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, UK, SoCar, even A&M, Tennessee and Auburn) to realize how much harder it will be for them to ever have back to back to back league winning teams if both Texas and OU join what is already an SEC Murderer's Row of Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida (and A&M, Tennessee, Auburn). Does Ole Miss need more TV money just to get knocked further down the SEC football hierarchy? Does UK? Does Mizzou? Does Vandy have any need whatsoever of an SEC with 2 more gigantic state schools that have massive, and filled, football stadiums?

It is possible for the ACC to gain from this. It also is possible that the ACC could be forced farther back.

For the SU fans who want to bailout WVU.
Don’t forget. You clearly don’t.

I wish I could hold a grudge like you. But I’m just a simple man and want to get some interesting opponents back on the schedule. Luck hasn’t been at WVU since 2014 right?

Well, well, well, Cuse fans, a potential nuke for college sports may have be nearing explosion. If the SEC could get UT and OU, then SEC money will become even bigger than if the Big Ten were to add Notre Dame.

I spent a lot of years trying to explain it to old time ACC fans and Big East fans, and I'll give a quick recap: College sports TV deals are about football, 1st, 2nd, and probably also 3rd. These football based TV deals are first and foremost, preponderantly, about a combination of two things 1) recent TV ratings for league members and 2) average attendance of league members. Average attendance matters immensely because it proves the size and loyalty of the fan bases of league members. Recent National Championships and Major Bowls/Playoffs are small potatoes compared to the above.

The ACC is at a rather alarming disadvantage vis a vis the SEC and Big Ten because we have multiple smaller private schools and even small state schools. For example, UNC would be easily the smallest BT school, and UVA, Clemson, and GT all are smaller than UNC. Then tack on Dook, Wake, BC, and Miami, and large private school Syracuse and large semi-private school Pitt both with small attendance, and you should see the ACC as handicapped.

Size alone, of course, means zilch. Maryland was the largest school in the ACC its entire ACC history, and Maryland has average attendance that would be a joke to all SEC schools but private Vanderbilt.

The best thing that could happen for the ACC out of this is that A&M goes on a hate fest and refuses to accept Texas, which leads to Arkansas people telling their tales of hating Texas at least as much as the Aggies do. If both assert a staunch opposition to Texas, and go public, while agreeing they would vote for OU, they could prevent the offer for Texas. I think the SEC requires 4 No votes out of 14 members to reject. But if 2 schools are strongly opposed to Texas, would the SEC, which is already rich as Croesus, push the agenda and risk rupturing SEC good feelings and good will among members?

To make that stick, the Aggies have to show brains and balls. One thing they must do is contact the ACC about the possibility of joining to stay away from Texas, and make certain the SEC office is fully aware. The ACC should not wait on that; the ACC should contact AM by tonight and offer a safe landing spot with the right to name a 2nd Big 12 member as entering partner if ND still wishes to be a 5/8ths football member. I have no idea if A&M would pick Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, or Ok St, but I would take any of them to get A&M, a huge school with very passionate fans, located in a very large state loaded with football talent.

At the same time, the ACC must assume that this news means Texas and OU are definitely ready to leave the Big 12, because the damage done so far cannot be repaired. The Big 12 as we have known it is now Dead Man Walking. The ACC must make its pitch to the pair. That pitch must focus on football facts: each will have larger advantages in the ACC (based on their football histories and, especially, their average attendances) than they ever can have in the SEC. Anybody who thinks that either OU or Texas has any real shot to dominate any possible SEC division is delusional. Anybody who doubts that both Texas and OU easily could be part of a small group of 3 to 5 schools totally dominating ACC football is equally delusional.

The ACC also must explore if any schools in the SEC East are upset that the SEC may want to move even more to the west, with 2 football Giants. If both Texas and A&M are in the SEC, alongside OU, how much does conference power shift hard westward? How much luster could come off rivalries in the East while new members Texas and OU add to the s e xiness of the Western half of the league? Other than a slightly richer TV deal, what can Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee gain by the SEC adding Texas and OU? Does Tennessee want to immediately become 'the other' and 'the lesser' orange clad UT in its own league?

The ACC must nudge the non-Elite SEC football members (Arkansas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, UK, SoCar, even A&M, Tennessee and Auburn) to realize how much harder it will be for them to ever have back to back to back league winning teams if both Texas and OU join what is already an SEC Murderer's Row of Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida (and A&M, Tennessee, Auburn). Does Ole Miss need more TV money just to get knocked further down the SEC football hierarchy? Does UK? Does Mizzou? Does Vandy have any need whatsoever of an SEC with 2 more gigantic state schools that have massive, and filled, football stadiums?

It is possible for the ACC to gain from this. It also is possible that the ACC could be forced farther back.

This is why I try not to post after I’ve been drinking.

I would never trust the Big Ten.

It’s not happening.
The ACC having an alliance with the PAC-12 could work.
Where they could use each other to grow a network that could generate really good money.

With a scheduling alliance.
The BT would act, and quite forcefully, to prevent that.

For the SU fans who want to bailout WVU.
Don’t forget. You clearly don’t.

Yep for that and for the way he dissed our football program when we announced we were leaving the Big East a couple of weeks before we played WVU in 2011. I think we remember how that game turned out.

The BT would act, and quite forcefully, to prevent that.
Let them then.
The ACC can’t trust the Big Ten.
If the Big Ten is going to bail out the Pac-12 let them if not the ACC should try to make an alliance with them.

This all sucks, i Love college football but this just sucks

the SEC may as well just form their own private league at this point
It’s not so bad, as long as the ACC and B1G merge to follow the SEC’s lead.

Just have to hope our leadership knows how to play musical chairs.

The ACC also must explore if any schools in the SEC East are upset that the SEC may want to move even more to the west, with 2 football Giants. If both Texas and A&M are in the SEC, alongside OU, how much does conference power shift hard westward? How much luster could come off rivalries in the East while new members Texas and OU add to the s e xiness of the Western half of the league? Other than a slightly richer TV deal, what can Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee gain by the SEC adding Texas and OU? Does Tennessee want to immediately become 'the other' and 'the lesser' orange clad UT in its own league?

Great idea's but the ACC must think bigger, we really need to convince the Big 10 that this was orchestrated by ESPN. The ACC won't survive by itself, we need to be combined with the Big 10.

Yep for that and for the way he dissed our football program when we announced we were leaving the Big East a couple of weeks before we played WVU in 2011. I think we remember how that game turned out.

The real challenges for WVU are that the are beyond a dreg academically and they add nothing as far as a market is concerned. Who cares about Luck. If they were a top 150 academic school and in a market the size of Las Vegas I would be pissed if the ACC didn't add them. But that's not the case here.

I don't know if I believe this one because PSU isn't mentioned. So they're not going to target PSU to protect Rutgers and Maryland but they are going to target Clemson and FSU when they already have SC and UF?

I'd think they'd be looking at UVA, UNC, Michigan, OSU, PSU etc...first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom