Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

The BT has always - ALWAYS - acted to do two things: be the richest and restrict competition (always to get richer and get more awards). That's the reason for both the unofficial Michigan-led boycott of ND and bribing the Pac to close the Rose Bowl. The BT DNA says that with Texas and OU off the board to the SEC, the only league capable of being richer than the BT, the BT will act before too long to try to get into the ACC and the South.

I doubt that the SEC will sit back and allow the BT to just keep trying to lure ACC teams and thereby get planted in the South. So I expect the SEC, at some point no later than its first whiff that the BT is active, to make it clear to UNC and UVA that if they do not wish to be in the SEC, the SEC will take NCSU and VT. And the SEC also would take Clemson and FSU, to keep the BT out of the deep South.

Any UNC or UVA fan who thinks his football team will be relevant even 2 years after it joins the BT and its in-state rival joins the SEC is a damned fool.

The SEC will stress that.

UNC will hold firm to do everything to save the ACC, but if Clemson and FSU are leaving for the SEC, then ACC football will be dealt a death blow. They simply cannot be replaced, because they have the most football history and they have the two largest fan bases.
I don’t think the SEC will come after Clemson and Florida State b/c longtime members South Carolina and Florida would object and give the conference duplication in those states. The Texas-Texas A&M overlap situation is a different dynamic. Texas is the biggest dog (besides ND) in all of college football, and A&M is a newcomer to the league. I do, however, think the Big 10 could make a play in the next few years for Clemson and Florida State and then hope to pry loose UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech and Duke.

That tweet makes a ton of sense but if that were to be the case then it would seem only Texas and Oklahoma would be moving but that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.

Hard to figure out what the value of a pretty good (17 bowls in 19 years) football program and really good bball program is worth. Have a rabid fanbase but in a fairly small footprint.
The small footprint is the killer. How many people outside WV are clamoring to watch them? I told the people on our board, "It's another away game I can drive to" (a very popular reason for selecting OOC opponents on our board and also assumes your car doesn't get keyed) is as valid a criterion for selecting them as the price of popcorn at their refreshment stands is.

That tweet makes a ton of sense but if that were to be the case then it would seem only Texas and Oklahoma would be moving but that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.

Hard to figure out what the value of a pretty good (17 bowls in 19 years) football program and really good bball program is worth. Have a rabid fanbase but in a fairly small footprint.
It’s basically saying the ACC shouldn’t do anything unless Notre Dame wants to join.
They don’t.
So the ACC is done when this GOR expires.

Virginia/UNC won’t destroy the conference but Clemson/Florida State likely will.

I don’t get the pac12 and ACC thoughts. It doesn’t make sense for so many reasons. But overall, having an “agreement” between each other to play nice together while still maintaining their independence with their own leagues. Does absolutely nothing to protect the current teams in those conferences from being pulled away to SEC or B10.

Ultimately that’s what this all boils down to. If Texas was just going to the SEC and it ended there nobody would be impacted. But everyone knows there’s more dominos to fall somewhere. Having a nice little friendship with the pac12 doesn’t protect ACC from potentially losing Clemson and/or Florida state.

I don’t think the SEC will come after Clemson and Florida State b/c longtime members South Carolina and Florida would object and give the conference duplication in those states. The Texas-Texas A&M overlap situation is a different dynamic. Texas is the biggest dog (besides ND) in all of college football, and A&M is a newcomer to the league. I do, however, think the Big 10 could make a play in the next few years for Clemson and Florida State and then hope to pry loose UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech and Duke.
That Texas argument is starting to apply more and more to Clemson as well every year outside of the A&M short tenure part. South Carolina might get whacked with a vote against them that they don't see coming too. Florida has some strength because they are pretty valuable, South Carolina on the otherhand is a clear also ran in their own state. It would also be an absolute killshot on another conference.

It’s basically saying the ACC shouldn’t do anything unless Notre Dame wants to join.
They don’t.
So the ACC is done when this GOR expires.

Virginia/UNC won’t destroy the conference but Clemson/Florida State likely will.

The ACC should market the end of the conference in 2035.

The small footprint is the killer. How many people outside WV are clamoring to watch them? I told the people on our board, "It's another away game I can drive to" (a very popular reason for selecting OOC opponents on our board and also assumes your car doesn't get keyed) is as valid a criterion for selecting them as the price of popcorn at their refreshment stands is.
Who is clamoring to watch anyone outside of the top of the SEC, Clemson/FSU/Miami in the ACC, Mich/OSU/PSU in the Big 10 and USC/Oregon in the Pac 12? Run out of teams almost instantly once you move into the how many people want to watch them argument.

That Texas argument is starting to apply more and more to Clemson as well every year outside of the A&M short tenure part. South Carolina might get whacked with a vote against them that they don't see coming too. Florida has some strength because they are pretty valuable, South Carolina on the otherhand is a clear also ran in their own state. It would also be an absolute killshot on another conference.
Clemson can’t get into the SEC.
Georgia/Florida/Kentucky/South Carolina have an agreement that Georgia Tech/Florida State/Louisville/Clemson/ will never get support into the SEC.

A&M isn’t getting that courtesy because they aren’t a long term member and Texas is more actually valuable.

Clemson could go independent if they wanted too.
They could petition the Big Ten but they won’t get into the SEC.

I can attest that there are Sheetz stations along I-81 in VA down to the NC border.
The Sheetz in Parsons, WV was always a lively spot. The Fernow Experimental Forest is right nearby, so it wasn't unusual for research groups from any given state to sometimes converge for morning coffee... as well as spotting the odd parking lot domestic dispute.

This is true, but if the ACC does not make any moves - then the countdown to its demise begins. FSU and Clemson are not going to accept their 'competitors' raking in twice the cash for long. The players are going to get a paid a big chunk - so the SEC is making moves to preserve the profit margin, but to also set themselves up to attract the best talent.

This is a closed system - and ESPN and maybe the SEC are (hopefully) smart enough to see it. If you destroy the ecosystem - the apex predator in that system eventually dies too. ESPN may be happy it has a great deal with the ACC, but the value of that deal will diminish as the product weakens (because the schools can't compete). You can't have it both ways.

And, yes, the world needs ditch diggers too. Watching the Globetrotters is a lot less fun, and less lucrative, without the Washington Generals. It is interesting to watch this all unfold - especially when you consider the schools that were simply 'lucky by birth' - e.g. Vanderbilt and Northwestern.
Does it help Clemson that staying in the ACC gives them a clear path to the playoffs most years? I don’t know the financials that well - can they make up a good part of the conference money that way with significant championship potential more often than not?

Basically the Big Ten wants the ACC to give Notre Dame an ultimatum.
They would push the Irish likely to the Big Ten and all this chit would end.

I just want Notre Dame to be given an ultimatum by the CFB committee and this chit could end. Just pick a conference and if my team loses out in the end it’s our own fault.

Clemson can’t get into the SEC.
Georgia/Florida/Kentucky/South Carolina have an agreement that Georgia Tech/Florida State/Louisville/Clemson/ will never get support into the SEC.

A&M isn’t getting that courtesy because they aren’t a long term member and Texas is more actually valuable.

Clemson could go independent if they wanted too.
They could petition the Big Ten but they won’t get into the SEC.
SEC brought South Carolina to the wedding and saw Clemson a pew over and was like daang, your sister grown up

Does it help Clemson that staying in the ACC gives them a clear path to the playoffs most years? I don’t know the financials that well - can they make up a good part of the conference money that way with significant championship potential more often than not?
Yes. As long as FSU and Miami are in the conference. Lose one of them and things go south quick.

Keep the four game playoff and it will force some teams, including ND to think twice about what they want to do. Keep it at four teams and it will cause some pause for some teams. You might see the vote to expand the playoffs to 12 to fail.

Who is clamoring to watch anyone outside of the top of the SEC, Clemson/FSU/Miami in the ACC, Mich/OSU/PSU in the Big 10 and USC/Oregon in the Pac 12? Run out of teams almost instantly once you move into the how many people want to watch them argument.
Exactly.

Keep the four game playoff and it will force some teams, including ND to think twice about what they want to do. Keep it at four teams and it will cause some pause for some teams. You might see the vote to expand the playoffs to 12 to fail.
Well if the four team playoff stays we would be in a bad spot with these continued moves. But Sankey would not add two bluebloods without assurance the CFP will be expanded. They will get at least four teams in a year in a 12 team playoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom