Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I have never rooted to join a conference, but this idea I actually appreciate.

Jay Bilas that the ACC should be approaching the SEC about a merger.

I think the SEC would reject a straight merger but would addd 8 ACC teams to become a 24 team SEC.

I have never rooted to join a conference, but this idea I actually appreciate.

Hard to get enough teams to agree. You could probably get the P12 and ACC to merge if ND said yes. P12 adds Kansas, Oklahoma Sate, Texas Tech, and Houston. Then splits into 4 pods of 4. The ACC adds WV and splits into 4 pods of 4. So you have a 32 team national conference of 8 pods of 4. This could work but would require ND to be all in. SEC then stays at 16. B1G would need to decide to stay 14 or add 2 more (ISU? UConn?).

That's an argument for SCAR or Kentucky to be the 4th "no" vote. Show solidarity with ATM now and it's likely they'll reciprocate when and if your "little brother" comes calling.
Hahaha little brother. That's good...

SEC is in the drivers seat of this thing right now they don't need to merge with anyone, just try and poach teams at their choosing. Just like ND doesn't need to join a conference yet. They can hold out as long as they want and let it all shake out. They can call any conference in the 11th hour and still get a seat.

Hard to get enough teams to agree. You could probably get the P12 and ACC to merge if ND said yes. P12 adds Kansas, Oklahoma Sate, Texas Tech, and Houston. Then splits into 4 pods of 4. The ACC adds WV and splits into 4 pods of 4. So you have a 32 team national conference of 8 pods of 4. This could work but would require ND to be all in. SEC then stays at 16. B1G would need to decide to stay 14 or add 2 more (ISU? UConn?).
ND would have to be all in. Add USC/UCLA and some other remnants to make a western division which will allow ND to maintain national schedule and have open dates for OOC games.

ND would have to be all in. Add USC/UCLA and some other remnants to make a western division which will allow ND to maintain national schedule and have open dates for OOC games.
There are 12 Pac teams, and counting ND, there are 15 ACC teams. You could balance those numbers with 3 B12 teams. KU would be obvious because its Hoops brand is clearly Top 5 nationally and it is part of the Kansas City Metro area. Ok St has the most athletics money among remaining Big 12 teams, and it has very competitive programs, with passionate fans, in football, basketball, and baseball. Texas Tech is a huge school in a huge state with very competitive teams in football, basketball, and baseball.

If you wanted to make it be 16 and 16, the ACC could add either Cincy or WVU, and the Pac could choose from among TCU and Baylor.

But my guess is that the BT is going to go all in with a scheduling deal with the Pac for both revenue sports.

There are 12 Pac teams, and counting ND, there are 15 ACC teams. You could balance those numbers with 3 B12 teams. KU would be obvious because its Hoops brand is clearly Top 5 nationally and it is part of the Kansas City Metro area. Ok St has the most athletics money among remaining Big 12 teams, and it has very competitive programs, with passionate fans, in football, basketball, and baseball. Texas Tech is a huge school in a huge state with very competitive teams in football, basketball, and baseball.

If you wanted to make it be 16 and 16, the ACC could add either Cincy or WVU, and the Pac could choose from among TCU and Baylor.

But my guess is that the BT is going to go all in with a scheduling deal with the Pac for both revenue sports.
I am talking a 20 team league. Using ND's established relationship with USC and UCLA and building a whole western division. Was not my idea originally, I just saw that it could work. If USC and UCLA are getting concerned about money this type of plan may be crazy enough to work.

SEC is in the drivers seat of this thing right now they don't need to merge with anyone, just try and poach teams at their choosing. Just like ND doesn't need to join a conference yet. They can hold out as long as they want and let it all shake out. They can call any conference in the 11th hour and still get a seat.
But the key is ESPN and its money and desire to 'own' college sports. The SEC now will 'own' CFB - it is unlikely that any other league even for 1 season could be better than the SEC. But if the BT gets into the South with ACC teams and also snares ND, the BT will make a great run at the SEC in football and be better in basketball.

ESPN could also 'own' basketball by keeping the ACC together, which fiscally, over time, will require higher TV payments to the ACC schools. Some type 'merger' with the SEC, perhaps only with scheduling OOC games, would do the trick.

I am talking a 20 team league. Using ND's established relationship with USC and UCLA and building a whole western division. Was not my idea originally, I just saw that it could work. If USC and UCLA are getting concerned about money this type of plan may be crazy enough to work.
All the Pac schools are worried about money, and rightly so. The Pac is dead last, rather far away dead last, in total TV viewers for both revenue sports. The Pac is overpaid now. For the Pac to up its TV audience, it must play many more games against teams from Eastern and Central Times. A deal with the ACC would do that trick, but would the ACC get enough from it? We are already 2nd in total viewers for basketball and 3rd for football.

All the Pac schools are worried about money, and rightly so. The Pac is dead last, rather far away dead last, in total TV viewers for both revenue sports. The Pac is overpaid now. For the Pac to up its TV audience, it must play many more games against teams from Eastern and Central Times. A deal with the ACC would do that trick, but would the ACC get enough from it? We are already 2nd in total viewers for basketball and 3rd for football.
All true. But if you wanted to peak ND's interest this would. Allow them to construct a division would be very attractive.

But the key is ESPN and its money and desire to 'own' college sports. The SEC now will 'own' CFB - it is unlikely that any other league even for 1 season could be better than the SEC. But if the BT gets into the South with ACC teams and also snares ND, the BT will make a great run at the SEC in football and be better in basketball.

ESPN could also 'own' basketball by keeping the ACC together, which fiscally, over time, will require higher TV payments to the ACC schools. Some type 'merger' with the SEC, perhaps only with scheduling OOC games, would do the trick.
Unfortunately it appears the ESPN by this move is willing to destroy the ACC, along with the Big 12 to cut down Fox control in football.

That’s not a merger. That’s the B1G and SEC sharing a meal. Hope they like oranges
I know. I would prefer that ESPN 'nudges' the SEC to act in such a way that the ACC remains whole and economically viable, as a sort of partner with the SEC.

If ESPN gives the SEC the green light to try to break apart the ACC, then the BT will get involved, and the endless envy of FSU boosters will give way quickly.

OK, I've been giving a lot of thought recently as to just how the ACC can get out of their spitty ACC contract. I think I've found a solution.

Step 1: Build a new roof at the ACC HQ in Greensboro
Step 2: Start referring to the ACC as, "The Conference"
Step 3: Profit!

The sport will lose popularity and profitability if it becomes regionalized to the extreme.
Which is where the path is leading.

It's all very exciting right now and good for egos at ESPN/Texas/Oklahoma/SEC, but there are repercussions for these choices, including:
  • Smaller schools dropping/deemphasizing CFB
  • Lower television ratings with regional disinterest
  • Lack of schools to schedule in the non conference
  • SEC & B1G schools losing reasonable hope (Purdue, Vandy, Rutgers, Miss State, Indiana, South Carolina, Maryland, Arkansas)
  • Losing more games (if Texas is struggling in the B12, not sure they'll succeed in the SEC)
  • Greater governmental scrutiny as some programs and the money rise, while others suffer/fold
  • Total loss of autonomy/self control (Texas)
Is college football popularity declining?

Once again the sport's attendance is down. In 2019, college football attendance hit a 24-year low according to the NCAA's official numbers. ... CBS Sports reported in 2018 that college football hit its lowest average attendance in 22 years, while in 2017 it suffered its biggest average per-game decline in 34 years.

Is college football popularity declining?

Once again the sport's attendance is down. In 2019, college football attendance hit a 24-year low according to the NCAA's official numbers. ... CBS Sports reported in 2018 that college football hit its lowest average attendance in 22 years, while in 2017 it suffered its biggest average per-game decline in 34 years.
its the amount of time of the games... it used to be 3 hours then 330 and now 4 not including getting from your seat to your car and traffic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom