Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Is college football popularity declining?

Once again the sport's attendance is down. In 2019, college football attendance hit a 24-year low according to the NCAA's official numbers. ... CBS Sports reported in 2018 that college football hit its lowest average attendance in 22 years, while in 2017 it suffered its biggest average per-game decline in 34 years.

its the amount of time of the games... it used to be 3 hours then 330 and now 4 not including getting from your seat to your car and traffic
Plus, nearly every game is televised in some manner, the line for the restrooms, overpriced snacks (and the line to get them), and (except for SU, Idaho, and ND State) sitting in bad weather.

Andy Katz works for the BTN and is one of the pro-Big Ten national media because he doesn’t work for ESPN anymore.

I bet those UNC, Duke, and UVA fans are excited at the prospect of hoops games in Lincoln, Nebraska and Iowa City.

Also thought UVA and Va Tech were inseparable?

Andy Katz works for the BTN and is one of the pro-Big Ten national media because he doesn’t work for ESPN anymore.
The only way the BT can get back at the SEC is by getting into the South with UNC and UVA, perhaps plus a few others. Youn can bet that the BT would love sticking its flag up in Southern states.

I bet those UNC, Duke, and UVA fans are excited at the prospect of hoops games in Lincoln, Nebraska and Iowa City.

The BT would love to avoid having to take a VT to get a UVA, even though VT is an Elite Ag/Engineering school, like half the BT.

Is baggerbob one of those Syracuse fans who thinks the earth drops off somewhere a bit south of Philadelphia? Or is he just another of the Wuffie type Swofford haters?
He's not a wuffie type. He just hates Swofford just like every school not named UNC.

Is college football popularity declining?

Once again the sport's attendance is down. In 2019, college football attendance hit a 24-year low according to the NCAA's official numbers. ... CBS Sports reported in 2018 that college football hit its lowest average attendance in 22 years, while in 2017 it suffered its biggest average per-game decline in 34 years.

That trend is going to continue for some time, and the advent of cheap HDTV is the cause. An 85" TV costs like $700. The view is better on TV than in person, you get up close replays, the beer is cheaper (and colder), you can invite the same friends to your living room that you'd invite to the game but they don't have to use a porta-john while they pregame. Oh, and the wifi is better so you can TikTok your reactions to big plays in real time.

College football is just as popular as it ever was, but stadiums are just big TV studios now. That's why all the money is tied to the TV contracts and not in-person attendance.

I think this scenario would be hilarious. But extremely unlikely.

giphy.gif
Honest question - were you waiting for the opportunity to use this gif?

SEC long play master plan. Take Cinci in. Let them reap the benifits of SEC money and football prestige. Cinci ups their game with better recruits and overall FB play as a result. Body blow to the buckeyes and big ten as they loose their flag ships blue blood status and Cinci becomes king of Ohio.

Boom. No one sees it coming

VPI can’t screw UVA. UVA if push c came to shove could likely go without VPI.

UNC/UVA/Duke aren’t going to the Big Ten. Katz is just doing their dirty work in the media because the conference needs it in the ether.

Is baggerbob one of those Syracuse fans who thinks the earth drops off somewhere a bit south of Philadelphia? Or is he just another of the Wuffie type Swofford haters?
No actually I liked getting into the ACC , just thought the Commissioner didn't realize that football drove the bus.

Jay Bilas that the ACC should be approaching the SEC about a merger.

I think the SEC would reject a straight merger but would addd 8 ACC teams to become a 24 team SEC.
These would likely be the 8 acc teams they woukd target:
Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Florida St
Georgia Tech
Clemson

I think some people are forgetting jim Phillips the new ACC commish was in the Big ten for 12 years. I think he understands and has an idea what that conference future plans are and what they would expect to do. That, with our AD wildhack I believe the ACC is a step ahead of some conferences in their plan of attack.
Okay…..then why has the SEC been negotiating with Texas/OU for six months and the ACC only reached out to them last week after the news was announced?

Not as much as we are with the prospect of playing football outdoors in Minneapolis during November. ;)

We're not inseparable as long as VPI has a landing place. It's thought that if UNC and UVa go to the B1G, the SEC would take VPI and NC State to complete the map.

I'd go with the latter.
Didn't hate him, just felt he was reactive, and should have been proactive. He continually made decisions after the SEC, and Big 10 had already taken teams.

That trend is going to continue for some time, and the advent of cheap HDTV is the cause. An 85" TV costs like $700. The view is better on TV than in person, you get up close replays, the beer is cheaper (and colder), you can invite the same friends to your living room that you'd invite to the game but they don't have to use a porta-john while they pregame. Oh, and the wifi is better so you can TikTok your reactions to big plays in real time.

College football is just as popular as it ever was, but stadiums are just big TV studios now. That's why all the money is tied to the TV contracts and not in-person attendance.
UNC did a tremendously smart thing by reducing the capacity in Kenan Stadium by putting in individual seats. A lot of people on our board are advocating the same thing for ours. My only concern about doing that is whether the physical infrastructure of the original part of the stadium can support it and have adequate aisle space for safety purposes..

I’m so sick of the term “geographic footprint” as it relates to the Midwest and Southeast now.

Let’s just move the city to Ohio or Georgia. There’s plenty of room south of Atlanta.

Okay…..then why has the SEC been negotiating with Texas/OU for six months and the ACC only reached out to them last week after the news was announced?
Because they reached out to Texas during one of the conference reshuffles and were told they weren't interested at the time. It takes two to tango. I would think it's safe to assume that Texas and OU secretly approached the SEC rather than vice versa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom