Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

The end may not be around the corner but it’s coming. Even though Clemson has It good in the ACC why wouldn’t they leave to double or triple their money. No brainer. This will get bad for a lot of people and it sucks for college football. Any team with a offer to big 10 or the SEC would be a fool to turn it down at this point. And in some bizarre twist of fate, rutgers landed softly
So what about the ACC Network?? What, it's completely irrelevant in terms of closing the gap over time

and...do what? Pay off 15 years of GOR? I haven't seen the roadmap that financially makes sense for anyone to leave now the ACC.

If you are telling me that ESPN will orchestrate conference musical chairs and want to pick winners of the annual payout sweepstakes i'm all ears.
It’s pretty clear that Clemson and Florida State are envious of the payouts given to their in state SEC rivals. And, they have figured out that the LT ACC media deal is a bad deal given how much it appears the value of media rights are increasing. Both Clemson and FSU aspire to win football championships and that is probably going to be harder in 10 years if they are financially behind the their football peers. They have to figure out their LT strategy for competing.

For the ACC schools excluding Clemson and FSU, the ACC media revenues are a windfall and they feel lucky to be making the amount of money they are. LT, this creates instability and this is the exact same situation the Big 12 faced. The reason the Big 12 is falling apart now is their media deal expires in 2025. Based on reputable reports, both Texas and OU will be playing in the SEC before the current Big 12 media deal expires which means everyone will get a better understanding of what GORs actually means legally and financially.

Everything isn’t doom and gloom for the ACC, but it’s pretty clear the conference needs to take major actions to increase the value of the ACC conference payouts. Doing nothing or adding a new member that doesn’t dramatically change the value of the conference are not options.

It’s pretty clear that Clemson and Florida State are envious of the payouts given to their in state SEC rivals. And, they have figured out that the LT ACC media deal is a bad deal given how much it appears the value of media rights are increasing. Both Clemson and FSU aspire to win football championships and that is probably going to be harder in 10 years if they are financially behind the their football peers. They have to figure out their LT strategy for competing.

For the ACC schools excluding Clemson and FSU, the ACC media revenues are a windfall and they feel lucky to be making the amount of money they are. LT, this creates instability and this is the exact same situation the Big 12 faced. The reason the Big 12 is falling apart now is their media deal expires in 2025. Based on reputable reports, both Texas and OU will be playing in the SEC before the current Big 12 media deal expires which means everyone will get a better understanding of what GORs actually means legally and financially.

Everything isn’t doom and gloom for the ACC, but it’s pretty clear the conference needs to take major actions to increase the value of the ACC conference payouts. Doing nothing or adding a new member that doesn’t dramatically change the value of the conference are not options.
Notre Dame is an anchor around the ACC stabilizing itself.
I don’t want ND to join the ACC. They don’t want it and I don’t want to bother with them.

Let them join the Big Ten it hurts the ACC short term but allows the conference to invest in some of the Big XII leftover which could help the ACC.
Oklahoma State and TCU would bring value to the ACC.

This is awesome

Steve spurrier:

“I can understand Texas jumping over,” Spurrier said. “They get to play Texas A&M again. They get to … they can’t win the Big 12 anyway.
“I think they’re only won two in the last 30 years or so. What is it?”

My only thought is thank you for bringing a positive issue to the thread.
It was appreciated. Great discussion.
Best pizza in the USA for me was in New Haven, CT Modern Apizza.
I lived on Clark st in New Haven, Modern was just around the corner.
I can vouch for it being the best pizza.

Ok explain how FSU comes up with 100mm to leave? They aren’t flush w boosters.

the sec should just buy these teams out if that’s the goal

So what about the ACC Network?? What, it's completely irrelevant in terms of closing the gap over time
The content and production is poor, for a league, having a school acknowledged as producing sports broadcasters, that is a joke.

Sankey is such a lying piece of trash
2 of the 4 members of the select committee who recommended to the full CFP committee that the playoff be expanded from 4 to 12 participants--Sankey and Swarbrick. Major conflicts of interest.

I do believe that the UT & OU move will delay the expansion, and perhaps reduce it to 8 teams.

The content and production is poor, for a league, having a school acknowledged as producing sports broadcasters, that is a joke.
Agreed. I actually watch the SEC Network - because of Finebaum - more than the ACC Network. It's a joke of a network. Very disappointed.

Well let's hope that's due too it being new

Probably
I really don't know nothing about it was just six of this thing and what kind of money is making and what their projections are but so you're telling me that in anybody can jump in on this cuz I like to know that there's no potential to even come close to the SEC and Big Ten Network? I mean come close like closing the Gap somewhat. I know it's not going to keep Pace with those two because the schools and those conferences are State huge schools obviously they have more alumni

Well, let's have some food for thought to revive this now mutilated thread. On another board, a UNC fan posted the following in response to talk about the SEC booting Vanderbilt as part of a drive to pare down from the old P5 to a much smaller number of schools (40?) that are left in BIG TIME football.

"Vanderbilt is suffering from its success.
It's not unusual for a successful research institution.
Vanderbilt is teetering on having the number of graduate students surpass the number of undergraduate students.
That problem already exists in places like Johns-Hopkins and Northwestern, Duke too. Carolina was headed there until the Legislature raised the cap on the number of undergraduate students. Now the numbers are almost equal, but there is no place to put anyone else.
Carolina like Vanderbilt has a small campus (about 750 acres) surrounded by extremely expensive real estate and an oppressive local government that controls construction projects on campus.
Research out earns athletics by more than 10 to 1 in Chapel Hill it is probably a similar ratio in Nashville.
Vanderbilt won't get kicked out of the SEC, but they may decide that they can get better return on their space by not continuing to pursue SEC level football."

Anybody think any school would make such a decision?

Well, let's have some food for thought to revive this now mutilated thread. On another board, a UNC fan posted the following in response to talk about the SEC booting Vanderbilt as part of a drive to pare down from the old P5 to a much smaller number of schools (40?) that are left in BIG TIME football.

Vanderbilt is teetering on having the number of graduate students surpass the number of undergraduate students.
That problem already exists in places like Johns-Hopkins and Northwestern, Duke too. Carolina was headed there until the Legislature raised the cap on the number of undergraduate students. Now the numbers are almost equal, but there is no place to put anyone else.
Carolina like Vanderbilt has a small campus (about 750 acres) surrounded by extremely expensive real estate and an oppressive local government that controls construction projects on campus.
Research out earns athletics by more than 10 to 1 in Chapel Hill it is probably a similar ratio in Nashville.
Vanderbilt won't get kicked out of the SEC, but they may decide that they can get better return on their space by not continuing to pursue SEC level football."

Would need to see the P&L of the athletic department and if it made sense

There is no purity test to be a member in any conference? I mean they are good fodder for the rest of the conference.

"Pay for play" is coming. There are a bunch of states that have passed laws mandating revenue sharing with the players that will serve as a catalyst. No more than roughly 30 schools will be allowed to do it. Most will be from the P5 and a number will come from outside it (like UCF and USF). I posted on our board that the core of our future conference when that happens is going to be UVa, Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, Tulane, Vandy, and possibly Rice. I left UNC out because I have absolutely no idea which path your administration would choose. I also think it will be "all or nothing"; you must choose a single path that will apply to both football and basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom