Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I would be absolutely shocked if the PAC and Big 10 do not form some type of merger when there contracts end at the same exact time. They have been an alliance for as long as I can remember. They will work together to form something. That is what kind of worries me about the ACC. We are kind of on an island and isolated. Technically there would be 4 major conferences and so if the PAC and Big 10 have an alliance we would have to have an alliance with the SEC. Numbers wise however, we would be at an extreme disadvantage compared to the other conferences unless we added 2 full time schools to get to 16 football schools.

So how are we in danger? SEC is at 16. B1G is at 14 and can only add 2. ACC would be fine in taht case.
ACC TV deal is way longer and the top conferences will blow away the annual payouts. That hurts the ACC long term.
If the SEC and B1G are making double annually. They can use that to recruit, pay, etc.

As the Pac is going to do almost anything rather than add schools that are now available from the Heartland, it is a given that the Pac must think in terms of a close partnering with the BT. The Pac needs to have each Pac member play a game every year vs. a BT team.

As the BT cannot get UNC and UVA, it is unlikely to try to get non-AAU Clemson and FSU. And while the BT might be able to bribe AAU GT, nobody else is going to leave the ACC because of GT leaving. So the BT may see a close partnering with the Pac its best move now.

The ACC should seek a closer partnering with the SEC. SEC teams as OOC foes works ideally for the ACC.

I feel like people throw words around without explaining what they mean, or how things would work.

Case in point: "Partner".

What does that mean?

Functionally, how does "partnering" work?

Most importantly, what significant incremental revenue would be derived from "partnering"?

As the Pac is going to do almost anything rather than add schools that are now available from the Heartland, it is a given that the Pac must think in terms of a close partnering with the BT. The Pac needs to have each Pac member play a game every year vs. a BT team.

As the BT cannot get UNC and UVA, it is unlikely to try to get non-AAU Clemson and FSU. And while the BT might be able to bribe AAU GT, nobody else is going to leave the ACC because of GT leaving. So the BT may see a close partnering with the Pac its best move now.

The ACC should seek a closer partnering with the SEC. SEC teams as OOC foes works ideally for the ACC.
They tried a scheduling alliance in the past. The ND game put a kybosh on it, Stanford and USC balked and that sunk the deal. Maybe now it will be different.

I feel like people throw words around without explaining what they mean, or how things would work.

What does that mean?

Most importantly, what significant incremental revenue would be derived from "partnering"?
thumb_howdy-partner-memegenerator-net-howdy-partner-john-wayne-what-52762499.png

They tried a scheduling alliance in the past. The ND game put a kybosh on it, Stanford and USC balked and that sunk the deal. Maybe now it will be different.
If the Pac drops from 9 League games to 8, it can be done. The Pac should really want that now.

With this, partnering would mean agreeing to have league offices facilitate league teams playing one another often, perhaps guaranteeing 1 per year for all members. As nobody watches the Pac, every BT game for the Pac can help it in TV numbers.

Of course, the BT knows that, which means the BT would be giving up either another MAC easy W or else giving up playing an SEC or ACC team, which would be betetr fpr the BT in terms of TV audience in Eastern and Central time zones.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've gone from expecting the doomsday scenario to realizing we'll be just fine. Fox will take the B1G, Pac and Big East while ESPN has the SEC and ACC and a beefed up American. The Fox v. ESPN rivalries will make things even more interesting.

What does that mean?

not to be glib or glib but a partnership ultimately is whatever the television partners want. If they are calling all the shots here then the ESPNs/Fox's can determine how money is dispersed ultimately. That's why i think if the rotation is to brands to maximize ad dollars then the need for conferences is probably unnecessary.

This is not in the best interest of college football b/c at some point a brand will be identified as "great" and will fall on its face quality wise. SMU in 1982 was probably a pretty awesome brand.

Listen.

You are a guest here.

And may not be for very much longer if you continue with the vein of the post above.

Settle down, Sparky.
yet you put the obama meme in the thread.

cant do that.

The Stewart’s Coffee experience is overrated to me. I think because there’s always some locals who seemingly hang out there all morning long, and I assume they’ve all been mandhandling the coffee the whole time. Just not a fan of it. If I’m going to pour my own coffee out of a pot, it’s going to be at my own house...where I’m the only one using it.

Cumberland Farms Coffee (bold) is > than Stewarts by a large margin.

Stewarts ice cream > than every other ice cream brand by a large margin

I love watching SU football & basketball, in person as often as I can. I’ll keep watching no matter who they play. At one time, college sports was more closely linked to the universities than with the business they’ve become. The products and the money they provide now outweigh any connection to the universities. As several have said, it’s a business.

I think I’m coming to believe it might be best to have college football divide into two groups: 1. A prep league for the NFL complete with a draft to inject parity 2. A league of schools that still want student athletes. Those kids that want to play in the prep league wouldn’t be required to go to school. The universities that want to be part of the prep league would essentially become franchise owners of NFL minor league teams. Two super leagues with divisions similar to the NFL make sense.

Reshuffling “conferences” every decade to try and squeeze more money out of the same entities just seems counter productive. If it’s really only a business for many schools, quit trying to pretend it’s not. For those schools remaining, form regional conferences that are truly tied to the universities and educational interests.

College football may have outgrown “student” athletes. Many of those athletes leave school early anyhow. Why make them go to school at all if they’re primarily professional athletes? Times change and it’s not unreasonable to change with them. It’s time for real change I think. Reshuffling does little good in the long run. Let’s move on...

Reading this thread has done one thing for me…

I’m just so appreciative that our friendly superstar neighbor Norte Dame is gracious enough to bless the ACC by swinging by the backyard to play ball a handful of times a year.

Without that, we would surely implode.

They’re here because it’s good for them too, if it’s not in 15 years, buh bye.

The world’s going to be vastly different by then.

I was kinda making fun of myself.
As Harris was very maddening in that game but was by far and away our second best player at the end.

Flynn just played an insane amount of minutes while running the point.

I would say I am more Harris in this thread.
Harris took 23 shots from the field and 14 more FTs in the game. Also had 22 rebounds.

He and you have that high volume thing in common here for sure. ;)

Harris took 23 shots from the field and 14 more FTs in the game. Also had 22 rebounds.

He and you have that high volume thing in common here for sure. ;)

4 players fouled out and Jimmy B still only went 9 deep, lol. I love Jimmy B.

Byrne Dairy not making subs anymore is one of the worst things that's ever happened to me.
That too was one of my darkest days. Though, I will say, the sandwich & wrap options, specifically the spinach & tomato basil wraps, are not too shabby. At our Whitesboro BD, they literally stack a quarter pound of meat on & then ask “is that good, or do you want more?”. Couple that with dollar-off Wednesdays &, IMO, anyone who’s driving the extra half-mile down Oriskany Blvd. to Subway is a moron.

FFC09C17-E2A9-48DD-BBBC-990E39A35EE9.jpeg

4 players fouled out and Jimmy B still only went 9 deep, lol. I love Jimmy B.
I’m going to be consistent.When we have studs you shouldn’t play a bench and that team had studs.

That too was one of my darkest days. Though, I will say, the sandwich & wrap options, specifically the spinach & tomato basil wraps, are not too shabby. At our Whitesboro BD, they literally stack a quarter pound of meat on & then ask “is that good, or do you want more?”. Couple that with dollar-off Wednesdays &, IMO, anyone who’s driving the extra half-mile down Oriskany Blvd. to Subway is a moron.

Yeaa man, my brother tried to sell me on the sandwiches a couple years ago. Was decent, tons of meat, but I hate change. Nothing like grabbing a byrnsie sub at 1am.

I'll have to try a wrap next time I get home though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom