Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I admit I was wrong about the B1G. I was very happy landing in the ACC. I may have been a little myopic. Annual games against PSU, Rutty and MD (and likely Pitt if they came with us) beats playing BC, NC ST, and Wake each year.

I don't. I think it's 50 50.

Here is why. Big wants a southern footprint. Big already plays a series against ACC in Basketball. ND would be in. BIG plays Lax.
ACC commissioner Northwestern guy. Academic fit.

Question. Why don't you think it happens.

Because I don't think some 28 team super league makes any sense. It's too big an undertaking.

IF the B1G felt compelled to act in response to this, they'd probably explore Clemson and FSU. But I think there are too many barriers. With the SEC, they already have A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou, so adding Texas/OU makes more sense. Would Clemson and FSU really want to be southeast outliers in a midwestern conference?

If they want to do some type of OOC scheduling arrangement, similar to hoops, that would be easier to pull off. But could that have any impact on current TV contracts?

How far into the future is ND locked in to only joining the ACC?

How far into the future is ND locked in to only joining the ACC?

The ACC's grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36.

To think the NFL has become more appealing overall is pretty funny but that’s what’s happened. I used to love watching CFB beyond just SU. I don’t recall in quite a few years even getting super excited about a non SU game, other than the playoffs which end up sucking. I think the current trajectory of realignment could potentially have the opposite impact these schools are hoping for.
The NFL has way more parity than college football.
The talent difference is way closer in pro football than college.
Also coaching matters way more in pro football than college where talent matters way more.

The ACC's grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36.
Does that effectively include football? If so, that's important.

I admit I was wrong about the B1G. I was very happy landing in the ACC. I may have been a little myopic. Annual games against PSU, Rutty and MD (and likely Pitt if they came with us) beats playing BC, NC ST, and Wake each year.
ACC a better fit for us because of the private/public divide within the conference.
Big Ten is a better fit for long term survival.

I want no part of the Big Ten.

I guess money is all that matters. Funny - I never cared about money when playing or watching sports. Money is kinda boring. If only those with money win every game or most every game - is it really a sport?

Each year I like the NFL more and CFB less. Although the NFL is all about $$ - at least there is total parity. The Cardinals have as much chance each year as the Giants.
Eventually, whoever is in charge will realize this or it will die

The big ten gets hundreds of millions of dollars of research grants and funding every year shared between all schools because they are AAU members. AAU membership guarantees a high level of commitment to research specifically STEM and biotech. The Big Ten styles itself as more than just an athletic conference and they won’t be giving that up. It’s too important to the school presidents
If the SEC really goes after a junior NFL approach, then AAU and CIC will become nice little speed bumps on the way to bigger television contracts for the B1G.

If the SEC really goes after a junior NFL approach, then AAU and CIC will become nice little speed bumps on the way to bigger television contracts for the B1G.
The Big Ten would give Notre Dame an invitation tomorrow if they would join.
ND isn’t an AAU member.
Nebraska currently isn’t an AAU member and they are in the Big Ten.

Players getting paid, mega conferences, zillion dollar TV deals. CFB is no longer amateur. Let these schools become pro teams and let’s just play the Dukes and Wakes of the world in Football and everything else. We’ll never compete anyway in a super conference. what fun is being the whipping boy losing 50-0.

Also coaching matters way more in pro football than college where talent matters way more.
Regardless, CFB used to be fun to watch overall. I mostly only watch SU games now and that wasn’t true years ago

To think the NFL has become more appealing overall is pretty funny but that’s what’s happened. I used to love watching CFB beyond just SU. I don’t recall in quite a few years even getting super excited about a non SU game, other than the playoffs which end up sucking. I think the current trajectory of realignment could potentially have the opposite impact these schools are hoping for.

Just for clarity, are you saying the NFL has become more appealing to you or in general?

Regardless, CFB used to be fun to watch overall. I mostly only watch SU games now and that wasn’t true years ago
I think SU football has actually been so bad it’s affected a lot of fans on here.

College football is fun and offense oriented. I think SU football has been boring and awful.
Watching good Big XII and SEc games is awesome. It just sucks we really suck.

I think the NFL any team can beat any team. College football really few teams can compete or even beat the top teams. The rules of college football favor the better team.
The opposite is true in college basketball.

Just for clarity, are you saying the NFL has become more appealing to you or in general?
I don’t think the NFL has become more appealing, I think CFB as a whole has become less appealing. It may actually be a result of having a young kid and less time to be able to watch whatever I want, whenever. It’s possible CFB is just as exciting as it was and my situation has changed. Not positive. But I do know the CFB playoffs have been nowhere near as exciting as I had hoped. Not that the NFL playoffs are typically great overall either.

If the B10 wants to compete with the SEC, let's look at power teams (blue bloods).

SEC:
Bama
Auburn
LSU
Georgia
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma
Good fball history but not quite blue bloods: Tenn & A&M

B10:
OSU
Michigan
Good fball history but not quite blue bloods: Penn St, Neb, Wisc, maybe Mich St

If the B10 wants to compete, they need to make a big splash & get more big brand football teams. Who? ND, Clemson, Fl St - maybe Miami & Virginia Tech. It would make sense for an alliance between the Big 10 & ACC but I feel an attempt to poach would come first. The Big 10 adding SU, BC, NC or Virginia does not move the needle anywhere near enough. As for the Pac - who do they have that is a big time football school - USC is about it. More recently Oregon. Stanford & UCLA (history but not really power football teams lately)

I don’t think the NFL has become more appealing, I think CFB as a whole has become less appealing. It may actually be a result of having a young kid and less time to be able to watch whatever I want, whenever. It’s possible CFB is just as exciting as it was and my situation has changed. Not positive. But I do know the CFB playoffs have been nowhere near as exciting as I had hoped. Not that the NFL playoffs are typically great overall either.

I echo those sentiments about CFB. For me, I think it's because of my changing hobbies. I have hobby I've been involved in for about 4 years and it takes up almost every Saturday.

On the macro level I’ve always been way more into the NFL over college football
Opposite for me. I used to be way more into the NFL but now love college way more. Of course, I moved from CNY to Georgia and have been living down South for 25+ years. So I am sure that has something to do with it. I just love the pageantry of it all, the bands, the atmosphere. I've been to several Atlanta Falcon & Georgia Bulldog games, give me UGA. I can watch college ball all day, the NFL - meh. I also used to play fantasy football a lot, not so much anymore. Playing fantasy, definitely gets you more into the NFL.

So - sad to see college ball becoming more like a semi-pro league.

It's called a salary cap.

Does that effectively include football? If so, that's important.
Yes ND is obligated to join the ACC during that Term. ND lines up well within the ACC. Plus they would have a much easier path to the playoffs. Add ND and any school they want and the Acc becomes a power house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom