Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in

I gotta say, if this is the best OSU can do then I'm scared sheetless about who we get after JB.
Agreed. Somebody posted that high profile coaches want coach at schools that are invested and committed to program success. This means having top notch facilities ( locker rooms , dorms for athletes with bells and whistles etc) that are in line with other elite programs and of course competitive salaries for the coaches. This is reality.

Oh yeah. Nothing against him specifically. It's more that OSU a school with money to burn, good facilities, great history, P5 team ready to roll is at option number 12-18 in a day. All the good coaches like where they are at. It's scary.
Option #12-15 seems like an exaggeration. Stevens and Donovan were pie in the sky scenarios. Never gonna happen, and they knew it. I shoulda have assumed Hoiberg was too. So who else did they supposedly target besides McDermott? I think they wanted a Midwest guy who knew the recruiting terrain, and isn't Holtman part of Matta's coaching tree since Matta coached at Butler?

Option #12-15 seems like an exaggeration. Stevens and Donovan were pie in the sky scenarios. Never gonna happen, and they knew it. I shoulda have assumed Hoiberg was too. So who else did they supposedly target besides McDermott? I think they wanted a Midwest guy who knew the recruiting terrain, and isn't Holtman part of Matta's coaching tree since Matta coached at Butler?

It is an exaggeration that 12-15 was closer to the number of vodka shots I'd had in my mixed drinks when I posted that. :( I don't know who else they approached, I get that its a bad time to hire and I understand that there are other factors. Its just really underwhelming that OSU got turned down by McDermott and is getting Holtman. I know OSU is a fball school but they have to be a top20 bball school as far as coaching job right?

Holtmann is a really solid hire. Maybe not super sexy but very solid especially at this stage of the season. I think he's a better hire than McDermott frankly. I don't believe he had any ties to Matta previously. But, Butler plays in a tough league and made at least the second round of the Tourney the three years he was coaching there. I'd take that.

It is an exaggeration that 12-15 was closer to the number of vodka shots I'd had in my mixed drinks when I posted that. :( I don't know who else they approached, I get that its a bad time to hire and I understand that there are other factors. Its just really underwhelming that OSU got turned down by McDermott and is getting Holtman. I know OSU is a fball school but they have to be a top20 bball school as far as coaching job right?

I really think the timing is a huge factor. I posted the other day some excerpts I heard (paraphrasing) of Packer on Sirius having Bilas, Dakich, and Dave Revsine on. Bilas and Dakich felt it is a very good if not elite job. In fact, they questioned the intelligence of various journalists and people who chimed in at the time of the announcement who claimed it wasn't a great job. They stressed how important facilites, money, and university support is. OSU checks all the boxes there even being a football first school.

I gotta say, if this is the best OSU can do then I'm scared sheetless about who we get after JB.
What really great coach is going to leave his school at this time of year? Most recruiting over, putting the pieces together for the Fall,-------. Unless he is just greedy for money, he'd want to at least finish what he has started for the coming year.

Wonder where this leaves Greg Paulus and the rest of the OSU coaches as well as Butler's staff?

I've read a couple of articles that talk glowingly about Holtmann's rapport and loyalty to his players. I have some suspicions this may not be accurate.

It's called economics and long term I financial stability.

Exactly, I left Syracuse and my family twice for a much better opportunity, my family understood and I'm sure the Butler team and university understand. Haven't seen any hate spewed towards him.

Exactly, I left Syracuse and my family twice for a much better opportunity, my family understood and I'm sure the Butler team and university understand. Haven't seen any hate spewed towards him.

It's easy to call loyalty into question when someone else is getting offered millions over multiple years :rolleyes:. We'd all jump at it if it was us.

Wonder where this leaves Greg Paulus and the rest of the OSU coaches as well as Butler's staff?
My guess (and you saw I underlined guess) is that most of them will stay in place at both places because it's so late in the year. The smartest thing Butler can do is to move the #1 assistant up to at least interim HC. After the season, there'll be movement all over the place, as usual.

We are absolutely top 10. Great coaches would line up outside the door for an interview. That said, we luckily have JB for a few more to bring home another Championship.
Hey! Stop being so positive.

Hey! Stop being so positive.

Sorry. I forgot we are doomed. JB is too old, and doesn't even get out to see recruits anymore. Hop is gone because of him, and they hate each other. We're going downwards, and now we don't have Hop.

JB spends too much time watching City Rocks than recruiting. Damn him. Those consecutive winning seasons are just because of the cupcakes. Let's go all out for Jay Wright, or someone now before it gets worse.

What did I miss? Oh yeah, the zone keeps the top rated away. OB/HW/MD/BS/MM, and Geno just doesn't cut it, and he has too much faith in Frank, plus TT seems to hate him through an anonymous source. Hughes isn't any good, why did he waste a scholarship on that talented kid? Tyus will be gone. What ever will we do?

There we go.

Sorry. I forgot we are doomed. JB is too old, and doesn't even get out to see recruits anymore. Hop is gone because of him, and they hate each other. We're going downwards, and now we don't have Hop.

JB spends too much time watching City Rocks than recruiting. Damn him. Those consecutive winning seasons are just because of the cupcakes. Let's go all out for Jay Wright, or someone now before it gets worse.

What did I miss? Oh yeah, the zone keeps the top rated away. OB/HW/MD/BS/MM, and Geno just doesn't cut it, and he has too much faith in Frank, plus TT seems to hate him through an anonymous source. Tyus will be gone. What ever will we do?

There we go.
Word. I just didn't want to put in all the effort you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom