Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in

Matta is among my choices to be the next SU coach.

I do think he'll be back after this health setback, ironically a la Ohio State's Urban Meyer.
Waiting for Matta to get fatta

If you are THE Ohio State University - you cannot get your overture turned down by the head coach of Creighton. Their much respected AD is looking like a clown show thus far in this matter.

I have no idea. For OSU's sake I would hope the former. If its the later you have to wonder two things, who had McDermott as the #1 option and why would he turn them down.
I would agree. It has to be. I'm thinking Goodman has to have gotten it wrong.

If you are THE Ohio State University - you cannot get your overture turned down by the head coach of Creighton. Their much respected AD is looking like a clown show thus far in this matter.

I hear you in theory. The timing of this is just crazy though. McDermott might just be a high character guy and doesn't want to bail on the team at this stage. Some other high character guys might do the same.

If McDermott is turning down OSU what does that mean for our coaching search when it happens?
That can't be what happened. Goodman has to have gotten bad information. Although I agree with your sentiment. I was in the Hopkins camp and not because he is a Syracuse guy or whatever but I think he was going to be a better option than most of what we would be able to get. Give him 3 years and a shot and we would be in good shape. If he doesn't work out do the national search.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I thought this article was a good conversation piece about best coaching job in college basketball. For the debate they leave out the six 'usual' bluebloods (Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA). Spoiler alert: Neither picked Syracuse with either of their two picks.
Thoughts?

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I thought this article was a good conversation piece about best coaching job in college basketball. For the debate they leave out the six 'usual' bluebloods (Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA). Spoiler alert: Neither picked Syracuse with either of their two picks.
Thoughts?
Texas? When were they last relevant?

I gotta say, if this is the best OSU can do then I'm scared sheetless about who we get after JB.

He'll probably be better than the last Butler coach to transition to the Big 10 - Todd Lickliter at Iowa. But it would be hard to be worse.

He'll probably be better than the last Butler coach to transition to the Big 10 - Todd Lickliter at Iowa. But it would be hard to be worse.

Oh yeah. Nothing against him specifically. It's more that OSU a school with money to burn, good facilities, great history, P5 team ready to roll is at option number 12-18 in a day. All the good coaches like where they are at. It's scary.

They are looking for a coach in June. Yet, people think our options after JB will be bleak because OSU basketball is having issues? This board cracks me up.

They are looking for a coach in June. Yet, people think our options after JB will be bleak because OSU basketball is having issues? This board cracks me up.
Laugh but i actually think that Red has the ability to be an excellent coach. Dont count him out.

Laugh but i actually think that Red has the ability to be an excellent coach. Dont count him out.

I didn't say anything about Red, and I tend to agree. In 5 years, or possibly sooner, I think he could be our next head coach. That wouldn't bother me at all. He is building connections, and bringing in good players. Learning from JB for however many years, and he absolutely could be qualified.

I don't even wanna think about the kid from Scranton. Hurts my brain thinking about that.

All I'm saying is when JB is gone, the sky won't fall. We won't be getting turned down by coaches from Creighton. Also, it's June so not exactly the best time to look for a coach for OSU. I wish they did this earlier, and Buzz went there.

Texas? When were they last relevant?
They are riding a high with a solid recruiting year. Analysts that do these type of polls never remember more than a year out. Missing the tourney hurt our perception as did sanctions. We've made two final fours in the last 5 years. For us not to be considered a top 10-12 job is crazy.

I didn't say anything about Red, and I tend to agree. In 5 years, or possibly sooner, I think he could be our next head coach. That wouldn't bother me at all. He is building connections, and bringing in good players. Learning from JB for however many years, and he absolutely could be qualified.

I don't even wanna think about the kid from Scranton. Hurts my brain thinking about that.

All I'm saying is when JB is gone, the sky won't fall. We won't be getting turned down by coaches from Creighton. Also, it's June so not exactly the best time to look for a coach for OSU. I wish they did this earlier, and Buzz went there.
Agreed timing of this hire is crazy. You're basically screwed for next year and then playing catchup for the next several. If this was March/April they probably get whomever they want outside of Donovan.

We are absolutely top 10. Great coaches would line up outside the door for an interview. That said, we luckily have JB for a few more to bring home another Championship.

Agreed timing of this hire is crazy. You're basically screwed for next year and then playing catchup for the next several. If this was March/April they probably get whomever they want outside of Donovan.
But the timing is also on the AD - they had to know they were making the change. Why wait? Get it done in April and go get who you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom