Thank goodness we didnt play UW | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thank goodness we didnt play UW

Some of our players over the past 10 years have had to literally be forced out of the gym. Triche and Gbinije are two that I specifically know of.
Agreed. Both gym rats had nothing to do with the actual practice. They did it on their own.

It’s not per practice. It’s hours per week. We practice 20 which is the ncaa limit. And many players get there early for extra work. So I don’t know what you’re talking about that our practices are half the time.
Bees. I know you know. Our team practices 60 to 90 minutes. Most teams go over 2 hours. Why do you lie?

Bees. Agreed let me correct.
Practice is about half the time of most D1 teams
Half time doesn't get into too much detail.
Jim very rarely goes on the road to recruit other than attending tournaments.
Summer player only sessions were not well structured and certainly missing key players this summer.
Better?
Still not correct. When you say practice half the team are you including shoot around? That isn’t practice in my opinion. We have never done those. Hop doesn’t either. We have great structure in the summer. Is this because OB and Tyus worked out separately? The only thing you mentioned that is true is the going on the road outside of aau tournaments.

Bees. I know you know. Our team practices 60 to 90 minutes. Most teams go over 2 hours. Why do you lie?

What do you consider practice? The 20 hour per week limit is for all team activity. The 30 minutes stretching and warming up before practice counts. The position grouping drills count. Etc.

Still not correct. When you say practice half the team are you including shoot around? That isn’t practice in my opinion. We have never done those. Hop doesn’t either. We have great structure in the summer. Is this because OB and Tyus worked out separately? The only thing you mentioned that is true is the going on the road outside of aau tournaments.
Marek OB Tyus. Please stop. You are clueless.

What do you consider practice? The 20 hour per week limit is for all team activity. The 30 minutes stretching and warming up before practice counts. The position grouping drills count. Etc.
Bees. Question. Is the SU official NCAA practice less than, equal to, or longer than the average practice time of othet teams. The answer is about half to 75%. Im not saying its wrong. Its worked for 40 years. Im also not saying half time with very little adjustments are wrong or a lack of a focus on strength and training or more than a few recruiting road trips a year. Im simply stating what actually happens and has happened under our HOF coach. Fact.

Marek OB Tyus. Please stop. You are clueless.
I’m clueless because Marek went home to see his family for a month? He had a work out regime from our strength and conditioning coach and shooting drills he worked on that the staff gave him. How does that lack structure. It is the definition of structure.

Back to the OP. I saw a Washington team that played with fire, got in guys faces on defense in the perimeter, broke guys down off the dribble to create for others, and finshed strong on the interior. It's the most UW basketball I've seen this year, but they looked like a more complete team than us. And it was with a lot of players not recruited by Hop that had a losing record two years ago.

Bees. Question. Is the SU official NCAA practice less than, equal to, or longer than the average practice time of othet teams. The answer is about half to 75%. Im not saying its wrong. Its worked for 40 years. Im also not saying half time with very little adjustments are wrong or a lack of a focus on strength and training or more than a few recruiting road trips a year. Im simply stating what actually happens and has happened under our HOF coach. Fact.

It’s equal to what is allowed by the ncaa. I don’t have any idea how much time other teams practice. If they are practicing 40 hours per week then yea, we practice half as much because they are cheating.

It’s equal to what is allowed by the ncaa. I don’t have any idea how much time other teams practice. If they are practicing 40 hours per week then yea, we practice half as much because they are cheating.
Bees. Read. Its common posted fact. Multiple articles. JB runs shorter practices. Says it helps keep the players fresh. Says they focus better. Its the truth. SU practices are considerably shorter than most teams.

Bees. Read. Its common posted fact. Multiple articles. JB runs shorter practices. Says it helps keep the players fresh. Says they focus better. Its the truth. SU practices are considerably shorter than most teams.

Well I haven’t been to a practice in a while but when I did go 1-2 times a week they certainly werent 60 minutes.

It’s not per practice. It’s hours per week. We practice 20 which is the ncaa limit. And many players get there early for extra work. So I don’t know what you’re talking about that our practices are half the time.

So, who’s incorrect? You or Griff, Wellman, & the players?

The shorter the better: Syracuse keeps practices to 90 minutes, below the national average

“While many teams use the NCAA’s 20 practice hours per week to the maximum, the Orange (20-12, 10-8 Atlantic Coast) practice only 90 minutes a day. Sometimes, even less”

EF7E9726-34C2-4379-9730-003E3D2B8407.jpeg

Well I haven’t been to a practice in a while but when I did go 1-2 times a week they certainly werent 60 minutes.
When i went they ran about 90

The shorter the better: Syracuse keeps practices to 90 minutes, below the national average

“While many teams use the NCAA’s 20 practice hours per week to the maximum, the Orange (20-12, 10-8 Atlantic Coast) practice only 90 minutes a day. Sometimes, even less”

View attachment 157192
There are two parts that don't make sense to me in that article. First, that there is so little individual skill work. When you have big men that can't do a simple drop step, doesn't it make sense to work on something like that? I get that guys can work on things on their own, but sometimes you don't know what you're doing wrong until you're told and refined by repetition. I mean isn't that Babers philosphy? Do it so much in practice that it's muscle memory during the game? Second, I can see that you want to keep guys fresh, but why not let the starters/big minute guys go early and keep the backups/young guys longer to attempt to build depth? If they're not getting minutes during games, you don't have to worry about wearing them out. In the case of freshman that seem to have trouble knowing where to be on the court, maybe some extra time could get them farther along a little quicker.

Last edited:
When i went they ran about 90

View attachment 157192
As a kid growing up in Syracuse in the 80s and 90s, I sometimes used to go with friends to watch practice at Manley and the Dome. I thought they were two hours or so, but that was a long time ago. I do wonder if shorter practices are a more recent phenomenon, because Griff seemed surprised they were only 90 minutes on average when he started here as an assistant, according to that DO article.

No way he stays.
From what I’ve heard and seen he’ll probably stay. He’s not athletic enough to leave and turns it over way too much. His handle can sometimes be shaky and has no left. He’s an elite college player though because he can score at all three levels. His mid range game is elite and he’s a great 3 pointer shooter. He can bully ball smaller guards. He’s like 6”5 220.

There are two parts that don't make sense to me in that article. First, that there is so little individual skill work. When you have big men that can't do a simple drop step, doesn't it make sense to work on something like that? I get that guys can work on things on their own, but sometimes you don't know what you're doing wrong until you're told and refined by repetition. I mean isn't that Babers philosphy? Do it so much in practice that it's muscle memory during the game? Second, I can see that you want to keep guys fresh, but why not let the starters/big minute guys go early and keep the backups/young guys longer to attempt to build depth? If they're not getting minutes during games, you don't have to worry about wearing them out. In the case of freshman that seem to have trouble knowing where to be on the court, maybe some extra time could get them farther along a little quicker.
I didnt say good or bad. I said shorter than most other teams. Read please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom