Thanks Dickie V | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thanks Dickie V

There is likely a reason all of the SU dignitaries were there. Let’s see the guest list for Wake. That will tell us a lot.
I was thinking about that as well. Seemed kind of odd and random.

For Vitale to reference the Thamel interview shows what many stated at the time and have feared - this narrative is not "going away" or "waiting out the news cycle". This has become the public's association with the program. Rarely over the past year has the national discussion been about the players performance on the court, it's been about Jim. And it will be until this is over.
Cuse181

One thing though...if it were a close game like 67-63, there wouldn't have been five minutes plus of idle time at the end for them to shoot the with filler materials about JB. I doubt DV was talking with JW talking points.

There is likely a reason all of the SU dignitaries were there. Let’s see the guest list for Wake. That will tell us a lot.
That was my thought too, but then thought everything leaks these days, and we haven't heard rumors

I doubt it. It's NBA all star break so no game this weekend and it's Duke so they are showing support.

To imply that they show up because they know something that we don't and hasn't been leaked to the media in this day and age, I doubt it.

All for Cuse moving on, but Dick was out of line. It was cringeworthy listening to him talk about Jim.

You don't go to another person's house and tell them they're not using enough starch on their linens. Yeah, gramps is old and he mumbles and stares off into space and doesn't tell his old rippers at the table anymore, and he drools on himself and it's awkward and sad. But you don't say that s#!& out loud. You just nod your head and act like everything's fine. Laugh at his jokes. Smile.
You're a guest here, have some respect.
Nothing wrong with what Vitale said. More people in his position should be having these conversations with JB.

That is what I noticed also. I was like why is everyone here for a random game against a down Duke team?
That’s the thing. It was just a random game for that Duke team, but as we do frequently hear about teams that play SU, it was our superbowl. The only game of national prominence we will play this year.

And we got smoked.

One thing though...if it were a close game like 67-63, there wouldn't have been five minutes plus of idle time at the end for them to shoot the with filler materials about JB. I doubt DV was talking with JW talking points.
Right?

If we were up by 20, he certainly wouldn’t have been hitting those talking points.

I doubt it. It's NBA all star break so no game this weekend and it's Duke so they are showing support.

To imply that they show up because they know something that we don't and hasn't been leaked to the media in this day and age, I doubt it.
True. Always get lots of former SU players at the Dome when we play during All Star weekend.

- Mentioned this on another thread: I don’t think Dickie V makes those comments unless JBs retirement is imminent. Just my opinion. Remember when Dickie V spouted off that the court should have JBs name on it?

1) Prominent people were in town because a Saturday home game against Duke is our biggest game of the year. I know, “they’re not really a rival”, blah blah blah. They’re the biggest brand in college hoops and that’s just the reality of it.

2) No one told Dickie V. what to say. That’s not how things work. He knows what’s going on here and his comments are his own.

I'm still waiting to hear where blizz went to school.

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

1) Prominent people were in town because a Saturday home game against Duke is our biggest game of the year. I know, “they’re not really a rival”, blah blah blah. They’re the biggest brand in college hoops and that’s just the reality of it.

2) No one told Dickie V. what to say. That’s not how things work. He knows what’s going on here and his comments are his own.

Yea theres zero chance adjw is planting seeds like that. Pretty hilarious to think that.

Agreed.

Vitale is all color commentary, delivered stream-of-consciousness. There is no script.

What he says is what he sees in the moment and believes.

Couldn't disagree more strongly. JB has put himself in this unfortunate position. This has been my worst nightmare for SU bball all along.

Well, 6-25 and JB bragging about a string of close losses is my worst nightmare. We're getting closer.
It wasn't Vitale's place to say that on air. If Jim flipped the script and did that in a presser, he would be trending again online.

It wasn't Vitale's place to say that on air. If Jim flipped the script and did that in a presser, he would be trending again online.

It was cringeworthy because that's where our program is at... One of the biggest color guys in college basketball diplomatically stating that it's time for Jim to hang it up.

This didn't happen overnight and the writing has been on the walls for years at this point.

The fact that it's finally happening now isn't Vitale's fault. He is simply calling a spade a spade.

It's actually somewhat surprising it's taken this long for the college basketball punditry to seriously question what's going on with the program now under JB, if we're honest.

JB's been given so much deference and benefit of the doubt up until now and his foot-in-mouth episodes have really shined a light on the broader issue this year, for sure.

To put the state of the program in perspective, WAER has a good juxtaposition:

The first time Syracuse played Duke as a member of the ACC, it was billed as the game of the season. A then record-breaking crowd of over 35,000 packed into the Dome to watch 2nd-ranked SU take on 17th-ranked Duke.

In case you don’t remember, the game featured a buzzer-beating three to force overtime and a blocked dunk to secure an Orange victory. If possible, it actually surpassed the hype.

One of the biggest takeaways from that game was the record-setting crowd. However, maybe even more impressive was the fan support in Central New York for that 2013-14 season as a whole. The smallest crowd in the Dome that season was 19,473 against High Point University during SU’s winter break.

Skip ahead to this season, 19,473 would be the third-largest crowd of the year (entering tonight’s game). Why are fans not coming in? What happened?...

Last edited:
What? Cringeworthy is the state of our program - Dick is being the only good friend by telling the truth even if Jim doesn’t want to hear it. That’s what true friends do.

He also gave JB cover for some of those awful comments at recent press conferences.

I put the game on mute at that point at how disappointed our team played. Vitale has every right to criticize what he saw as did 31 thousand fans.

I didn't even find Vitale's comments to be that critical, to be honest. The immediate reactions to those 2 press conferences were much harsher. I felt like Vitale was basically saying, "hey, it's time; NIL has changed basketball; Jimmy's given his whole career to this town and this university, etc."

I didn't even find Vitale's comments to be that critical, to be honest. The immediate reactions to those 2 press conferences were much harsher. I felt like Vitale was basically saying, "hey, it's time; NIL has changed basketball; Jimmy's given his whole career to this town and this university, etc."

Yes the majority of what Vitale said was very complimentary of JB.

I respect Vitale as a good human that has done a lot for charity, but never liked his professional commentary. This was the first Syracuse game I can remember where Dick actually talked about the Orange more than he talked about Duke or Coach K. In some of those games where he talked about Duke more than Syracuse, the Blue Devils weren't even our opponent!

Vitale is an emotional guy and it was obvious that was honored by the treatment he received from Wildhack. They probably had some off the record conversations about the state of the program and JB. But Dick being Dick...there is no way he wasn't going to talk about JB on air at some point and give his opinion.

The old footage of Boeheim and Vitale playing one-on-one was incredible!!!!!

I respect Vitale as a good human that has done a lot for charity, but never liked his professional commentary. This was the first Syracuse game I can remember where Dick actually talked about the Orange more than he talked about Duke or Coach K. In some of those games where he talked about Duke more than Syracuse, the Blue Devils weren't even our opponent!

Vitale is an emotional guy and it was obvious that was honored by the treatment he received from Wildhack. They probably had some off the record conversations about the state of the program and JB. But Dick being Dick...there is no way he wasn't going to talk about JB on air at some point and give his opinion.

The old footage of Boeheim and Vitale playing one-on-one was incredible!!!!!

He hasn't been to Syracuse for a game in 6 years. Now, yes, his health has been down. But it was clear to me that this was a special occasion arranged by Wildhack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom