That Chukwu turnover | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

That Chukwu turnover

All he had to do was pass it back up top. Way too much about the guards being tired and other nonsense that had nothing to do with the play.

For someone who is 7'2", he plays like he is 5'2". That turnover was the biggest play in a stretch of poorly executed possessions. They had this game in their sights and lost it.

Given the awkwardness of it and the circumstances, that's the worst play of the year by an SU player, with the possible exception of Battle getting his pocket picked vs. Notre Dame. .

Last edited:
Honestly at that point just shoot it, it could go in. I had a direct line of site into that play, and it was like little kid CYO bad.

I didn't bother reading through this thread but the other CYO-like thing was neither of our guards sprinted to him to get the ball from him. Basketball 101. Guards have to get the ball from a big. Especially one like Chukwu who is...uh...not very skillful. It was painful to watch because you could just see that turnover coming.

What was with Chukwu? I know his back is not 100% but it seemed like every time he got the ball his legs were like a newborn deer. In the second half, he nearly went down every time he got a rebound. He looked like an MMA fighter who just took a clean head kick to the temple.

Last edited:
I didn't bother reading through this thread but the other CYO-like thing was neither pf our guards sprinted to him to get the ball from him. Basketball 101. Guards have to get the ball from a big. Especially one like Chukwu who is...uh...not very skillful. It was painful to watch because you could just see that turnover coming.

What was with Chukwu? I know his back is not 100% but it seemed like every time he got the ball his legs were like a newborn deer. In the second half, he nearly went down every time he got a rebound. He looked like an MMA fighter who just took a clean head kick to the temple.

Agreed. Go get the ball, call a time out. Not like our last TO worked anyway.

I didn't bother reading through this thread but the other CYO-like thing was neither of our guards sprinted to him to get the ball from him. Basketball 101. Guards have to get the ball from a big. Especially one like Chukwu who is...uh...not very skillful. It was painful to watch because you could just see that turnover coming.

Frank was closest, but Berry was between him and PC. Nothing positive would have happened had Frank, who was wide open, gotten closer to PC. PC attempted to dribble. Why would he do that?

The play of the game was Berry stealing the ball, driving to the basket, and laying it in for 2 points giving NC the lead at the 1:36 mark. If it happened at :01 it would've been "game over" too but at 1:36 there's a lot of time left for players to do good things and bad things that affect the outcome.

The stat of the game is the main reason why SU lost, in the last 3 minutes SU had 5 possessions, took 7 shots, and scored 0 points. During this time period, here's what the players did (the numbers next to the names represent the combined positive and negative effect the players had on the game):

Chukwu (+2) - 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 turnover
Brissett (-1) - 1 rebound, 1 block, 3 missed shots (0-3)
Battle (-3) - 2 missed shots plus 1 shot blocked (0-3)
Howard (-1) - 1 missed shot (0-1)
Dolezaj (0) - no stats

Stat-wise Chukwu was the only player whose pluses outweighed his minuses. It was a bad turnover for sure but it would've been nice if the others would've made a basket --- one basket might've won it.

You should read the thread. Frank was right there wide open in front of him.

you know how football players with fumble-itis carry the ball around campus and get punished if someone knocks it out of their hand? They should do this with PC only he has to keep the ball high at all times.

Paschal doesn’t really jump. It’s why we rarely win the opening tip too. It negates some of his height advantage. He just can’t bring the ball down, he has to learn to keep his hands up on both offense and defense. Hope he gains strength - he ends up on the floor way too often making him more vulnerable to injury (like his back). He seems like a great kid and I hope he continues improving over the summer with a great strength and conditioning program.

Paschal doesn’t really jump. It’s why we rarely win the opening tip too. It negates some of his height advantage. He just can’t bring the ball down, he has to learn to keep his hands up on both offense and defense. Hope he gains strength - he ends up on the floor way too often making him more vulnerable to injury (like his back). He seems like a great kid and I hope he continues improving over the summer with a great strength and conditioning program.

Only when he shouldn't.

He jumped for that attempted alley oop behind him in the second half and I wasn't sure he was going to be able to stay upright. I think the back pain mentioned before is really bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom