That Chukwu turnover | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

That Chukwu turnover

He got carved up like a thanksgiving turkey in the first half and early in the second.

I know he made some nice blocks late in the game, but he was atrocious for most of it.

The last turnover was 50% on him, and 50% on no one presenting to him. But it was the back beaker in the game.

If we keep the ball there, I like our chances. Having said all that, we had no right being in that game. Unc's ball movement was tremendous.

Our press sped them up, otherwise, they got almost any shot they wanted all game long.

Well Jake, if I could, I’d say our entire front court got carved up like three thanksgiving turkey’s. I think we need some kids who can actually play to zone and not just tall kids trying to play the zone.

He didn't. He got a few blocks and some rebounds. He was the tallest guy on the floor by a bunch. It's literally the least he should do.

I will never give him credit in a game that includes a great alley oop pass that he jumps, catches, brings down and gives the ball away. If you can't dunk at 7'2" on a play literally designed for you, go sit down.
Just saying no would have been quicker

Because we have nobody else and Thompson left. Chukwu would be a 10-15 minute player for defense only. He reminds me of Baye Keita. Stone hands and 0 offensive skills. Good on D though but still has problems there holding onto rebounds.
Comparing Chukwu to Baye is a huge disservice to Baye. Yes, both have bad hands and are very limited offensively. Baye was 100x better on D however.

Chukwu was really bad most of tonight. Really, really bad. We can’t beat good teams w/ him playing significant mins. Just because you’re 7’2” means you should play bball. Square peg, round hole.

Only time I swore at the TV tonight was when PC caught the alley oop pass from Frank and brought it down. I'm so tired of him doing that.

You are as tall as where you are holding the ball.

Well Jake, if I could, I’d say our entire front court got carved up like three thanksgiving turkey’s. I think we need some kids who can actually play to zone and not just tall kids trying to play the zone.
Our length in the zone is completely negated when we play a team that has length. They just passed right over it. Kind of like in super Mario world where you can fly right over the entire level.

Was the play of the game

So I watched the play several times on super slo mo and its ALL on Chukwu
1. He ONLY looked to his left. FOUR SU guys were to his right and Frank was yelling for the ball but big stiff never looked at him.

2. Berry totally cheated on Howard, leaving him wide open...and headed towards the big stiff...who in what can only be called one of the dumber decisions made in recent major college bball history (perhaps the worst since the Helsinki incident), not only brings the ball down...HE DRIBBLES IT...I didnt realize that the first time. He freaking put it on the floor and starting dribbling like Curly Neal.

another interesting fact is four guys were on one side of the court (the side opposite our man was looking towards) and Battle is not even in the picture. He was back guarding air.

Chukwu played at just about his talent and experience level, in my opinion. He had a few really good moments, a few really bad ones, and helped keep us in the game defensively down the stretch.

We lost because we missed our last 5 or so shots. The opportunities were there.

disagree, though frank was terrific overall, his long three at the end that missed was terrible shot selection. we only needed a deuce to tie at that point.w

that was the back breaker.
I would have preferred a drive to the basket by Howard or Battle but up to that point Howard was 5-9 from the 3-point line. Probably wasted too much time dribbling before the shot without improving his position on the court and that left him little choice but to hoist up the 3.

To me the back breakers were what has been discussed to death -- Chukwu's giveaway and Brissett's air ball with the score tied. He makes that and the crowd goes wild.

3 rebounds COMBINED for Battle/Howard vs 16 rebounds for the UNC guards.

I am much more upset with that 13 possession swing than Chewy’s mistake.

I don’t think that’s a completely fair take. You’re including 3 players for UNC because they’re all listed as guards. One of them played “SF”. Also, it’s style of play. We don’t send 5 guys to the boards. We typically rotate the weak side guy back to help defend against a fast break. Since we don’t run, UNC could send 5 guys when they wanted.

UNC is the best rebounding team in the country. They only out rebounded us by 4. That’s a great accomplishment. Our style depends on our bigs more than theirs. Sure, we’d like more than 3 rebounds from our guards, and we usually do get about twice that. So it’s fair to say we needed a few more than 3.

1. He ONLY looked to his left. FOUR SU guys were to his right and Frank was yelling for the ball but big stiff never looked at him.
Maybe it's the glasses he's wearing, blocking his peripheral vision to his right?

I don’t think that’s a completely fair take. You’re including 3 players for UNC because they’re all listed as guards. One of them played “SF”. Also, it’s style of play. We don’t send 5 guys to the boards. We typically rotate the weak side guy back to help defend against a fast break. Since we don’t run, UNC could send 5 guys when they wanted.

UNC is the best rebounding team in the country. They only out rebounded us by 4. That’s a great accomplishment. Our style depends on our bigs more than theirs. Sure, we’d like more than 3 rebounds from our guards, and we usually do get about twice that. So it’s fair to say we needed a few more than 3.
Ok I agree, but we stayed within 4 rebounds of the best rebounding team in the country, mostly due to the team leading 11 rebounds by Chewy. That is my main point.

Ok I agree, but we stayed within 4 rebounds of the best rebounding team in the country, mostly due to the team leading 11 rebounds by Chewy. That is my main point.

Don’t disagree with that at all.

So I watched the play several times on super slo mo and its ALL on Chukwu
who in what can only be called one of the dumber decisions made in recent major college bball history (perhaps the worst since the Helsinki incident), not only brings the ball down...HE DRIBBLES IT...I didnt realize that the first time. He freaking put it on the floor and starting dribbling like Curly Neal.
He should have passed it but given that he didn't, he couldn't just stand there. He had 5 seconds to pass or dribble.

It’s an absolute must that Chukwu improves offensively for next year. His shotblocking is huge, but he’s gotta be a guy who can catch and finish. I’m not asking for post moves or 15 footers. Just catch and finish when the opportunity is there.
I can't see it happening. He just isn't fluid enough or quick enough off his feet to do that consistently. You could see that on that alley oop to him yesterday where he couldn't catch and dunk it, and instead brought it down and turned it over. He always has to gather himself. He just can't elevate quickly or athletically very often. Maybe some leg strength would help, but I'm not sure how we can expect that now.

Kid is 7'2" with barely any muscle or bulk. These types can succeed as shot blockers, but will get abused by physical play and athleticism. If he's out of position at all, it's a bucket for the opposition.

All he had to do was pass it back up top. Way too much about the guards being tired and other nonsense that had nothing to do with the play.

For someone who is 7'2", he plays like he is 5'2". That turnover was the biggest play in a stretch of poorly executed possessions. They had this game in their sights and lost it.

I can't see it happening. He just isn't fluid enough or quick enough off his feet to do that consistently. You could see that on that alley oop to him yesterday where he couldn't catch and dunk it, and instead brought it down and turned it over. He always has to gather himself. He just can't elevate quickly or athletically very often. Maybe some leg strength would help, but I'm not sure how we can expect that now.

Kid is 7'2" with barely any muscle or bulk. These types can succeed as shot blockers, but will get abused by physical play and athleticism. If he's out of position at all, it's a bucket for the opposition.

After reading the post by tomcat about watching PC in the pregame, I'm taking a less harsh tone with PC and his performance. If he's got a bad back, it explains a lot about why he's not finishing above the rim like we'd hope.

When the season started, it was the consensus that PC couldn't do anything at all and was a waste of a scholarship. If he could improve from that to what he is now, he can get better than he is now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom