That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would

I guess I was wrong. I just remember Reyes scoring a TD and throwing dollar bills.
Didn’t we have a special teams TD as well?
I am not 100% as I am going on memory. I just remember being young and dumb the ACC chants at BC.

I looked at my box score in the previous post for this FYI

YESSS!!!! WE HAD THE BLOCKED PUNT TD!!! funny how the brain works! i remembered the blocked punt but thought it was BC. I think that was also towards the student section. It was Ant Smith who i believe returned 1 against Pitt the next week.

So if anyone can answer this I would greatly appreciate it. How serious was SU being courted by the ACC and how close were we to joining back in 2003? No one has been able to explain in to me in detail.

It was done until it wasn't.

That’s what my post said.

I know. You were the third person to point it out. That was the (bad) joke. I know all about that saga.

I’m going to be a lot more careful with my metaphors going forward.

The 1991 ACC stuff is public
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...bb1610b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.240a0c2c5822
ACC wanted both Syracuse and Florida State.
Syracuse stayed with the Big East because they got Miami and the Big East finally formed a football conference by adding Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers to existing members Boston College and Pittsburgh and us. The Big East actually semi-retained its basketball roots with West Virginia and Rutgers as football-only members until 1995, and Virginia Tech until 2001. Temple basketball wasn’t added because of Villanova.

Florida State chose ACC over SEC in 1992. When the SEC added South Carolina and Arkansas the Gamecocks were picked after Florida State said they wanted the ACC.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL / GENE WOJCIECHOWSKI : Florida State Reverse Was the Smart Play

The Big Ten stuff is stuff I was told when I worked studied in the SU AD as a student from old timers who were in the know here’s a hint his name rhymes with Stake Scroutcmaels.
He told me my freshman year which was his last year the exact spot where JB came in and said I don’t want to bleeping play conference games in Iowa.

If I could take a year off work and schedule interviews I could write an interesting book on college expansion I just can’t dedicate the proper time to do it right.

I'm hopeful that someday there will be a book written telling ALL the stories of what transpired in the Boeheim Era. I was thinking Mike Waters could wright it but here we have another candidate.

I get what you are saying but the ACC has wanted Syracuse for a while.
In 1991 the ACC offered Syracuse and Florida State membership. Florida State actually declined the SEC and went with the ACC. Syracuse declines because Jake C was loyal.
Then 2003 the ACC wanted Miami, Syracuse and Boston College.
Jake wasn’t going to stop it this time and VA Gov. Marc Warner told UVA to get VPI taken care of.
Syracuse handled the process with class didn’t burn bridges and didn’t wh@re themselves like BC did to get the 12th spot.

Syracuse was always a school the ACC was interested in. We were lucky we got in when we did but Syracuse was always ahead of UConn/Rutgers in the pecking order for expansion. If Syracuse really wanted the Rutgers slot in the Big Ten I think we would have gotten it.

My first ever post, (in 1999 when we were on Syracuse.com), was to advocate joining the Big Ten. We'd just clobbered Wisconsin and Michigan in football and had earlier wins over Penn State and Ohio State and I was hoping to compete with those teams in an eastern division. I also identified with the midwest more than the south.

I'm glad we didn't get what I wanted. Too many Penn States in the Big Ten and not enough Northwesterns. The ACC is about 50-50. It's also where we like to recruit so we are in the right place.

I always thought Miami had less integrity than BC during this entire ordeal. I'm only going off memory here, but the Big East took in Miami when the program was struggling with tons of negative PR, then they were one of the first out the door. Like they had zero appreciation for what happened in the past

I understand all these schools had to be slightly hypocritical because the risk of being left out is much greater in magnitude. I'm more thinking about it from the perspective of who was least loyal during the process

This UConn team might be worse than last year. OH, and last year they didn’t have Gilbert, Sid Wilson, Tarin Smith or Brendan Adams.

This will end up being our worst loss of the year, Ken Pom wise

We are so unlucky this year. That Bol-Bol guy of Oregon just suffered the season-ending injury. Now Oregon will finish near the bottom of Pac12.

We are so unlucky this year. That Bol-Bol guy of Oregon just suffered the season-ending injury. Now Oregon will finish near the bottom of Pac12.

It doesn't matter what they do without him as we played them with him.

I care that we lost to them. But I agree, I am perfectly content to see them go 0-18 in the ACK.
yes I totally agree. let them rot in their pitiful cesspool of oblivion.

Cuse!

No matter what BC, VT or Miami did, the worst move against us was years earlier, when the Georgetown AD rallied the small schools to keep Penn State out of the Big East. We might still be singing the praises of eastern football if the Big East were allowed to grow its base then.

It doesn't matter what they do without him as we played them with him.

Assuming the committee considers that. I know they are supposed to but...

Irrelevant. Rutgers annually sucked, but they got the invite regardless. You need to strip the bias of Syracuse University and its romanticized stature as fans, alums, etc., and just accept it. It's okay to admit that SU was extremely fortunate to get the generous gift and lifeline from the ACC.
It wasn’t generous. The ACC wanted us back in 2003 before the Virginia Governor intervened. Was supposed to be BC, us and Miami, but Va Tech got our spot because of state politics in Virginia. Pitt was the second choice behind us in 2012.

I get what you are saying but the ACC has wanted Syracuse for a while.
In 1991 the ACC offered Syracuse and Florida State membership. Florida State actually declined the SEC and went with the ACC. Syracuse declines because Jake C was loyal.
Then 2003 the ACC wanted Miami, Syracuse and Boston College.
Jake wasn’t going to stop it this time and VA Gov. Marc Warner told UVA to get VPI taken care of.
Syracuse handled the process with class didn’t burn bridges and didn’t wh@re themselves like BC did to get the 12th spot.

Syracuse was always a school the ACC was interested in. We were lucky we got in when we did but Syracuse was always ahead of UConn/Rutgers in the pecking order for expansion. If Syracuse really wanted the Rutgers slot in the Big Ten I think we would have gotten it.
Exactly right. With the 2012 expansion bombshell, the ACC wanted Syracuse (again) to shore up their Northeast flank. They looked at pairing us with UConn, but some factions were hesitant because their football program has little history and not much of a track record. Then BC lobbied against them, so Gross and another couple of ADs lobbied for the ACC to take Pitt instead of UConn. We were always in the catbird seat in that wave of expansion.

So if anyone can answer this I would greatly appreciate it. How serious was SU being courted by the ACC and how close were we to joining back in 2003? No one has been able to explain in to me in detail.
It unfolded in the media. There was lots of reporting on it at the time in the Syracuse and national media. It was two months after SU won the national title, so we were all taken aback. The ACC did school visits and everything, but it was basically a formality because Swofford, the ACC expansion committee and Miami AD Paul Dee already knew what they wanted. And they did not want Va Tech until Mark Warner got involved.

It wasn’t generous. The ACC wanted us back in 2003 before the Virginia Governor intervened. Was supposed to be BC, us and Miami, but Va Tech got our spot because of state politics in Virginia. Pitt was the second choice behind us in 2012.

Really, you don't say? ;)

1459528678-friends-this-is-brand-new-information.gif

Really, you don't say? ;)

1459528678-friends-this-is-brand-new-information.gif

Well, from what I read on here there are loss of people who weren't here or weren't paying attention when all this went down.

Lazy attempts to recall what happened or mis-informed posts distort history and even attempt to re-write it.

There's nothing wrong with telling people they are FOS, when they are.

Well, from what I read on here there are loss of people who weren't here or weren't paying attention when all this went down.

Lazy attempts to recall what happened or mis-informed posts distort history and even attempt to re-write it.

There's nothing wrong with telling people they are FOS, when they are.

Well, maybe, but prior to that post (#88), it had already been mentioned in this thread several times, including a dissertation by one poster as well. ;)

Well, maybe, but prior to that post (#88), it had already been mentioned in this thread several times, including a dissertation by one poster as well. ;)

And yet the ignorance of what happened persists.

What's your plan? Give in to it?

So back in 2003 I’m pretty sure that expansion was down to Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Old Dominion (thanks to Hof Coach Jeff Jones!)Grand Canyon, Grand Cayman, and Trump University. SU was given passing consideration by the CEO of Bojangles. Can anyone confirm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom