That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would

How's that invite looking now? They got the invite because Delaney is a fool and tv sets.

Yeah, I know, TV sets, market share, bottom line, etc. was clearly the proximate cause of ALL recent expansion, not the quality or lack thereof of one's athletic department.

I'm unable to answer your specific question since I haven't done the research to see if "how that invite looks now." I imagine though that the B1G's primary goal/purpose of that invite has paid some dividends.

It wasn’t luck. It was the obvious happening. The ACC was fortunate to acquire the crown jewel of the Big East and further strengthen their league and brand.

Well, luck and good fortune is synonymous. ;)

You mean that "crown jewel" whom has proven to be nothing more than mediocre (ACC record wise). That crown jewel? ;):)

anything short of Hurley being lit on fire and I will be sad that justice has not been served, I think I despise him more than any coach in the country.

In the 3 UConn games that I have paid attention to he: actually shushed the SU fans, got into a verbal altercation with an FSU player on the bench in the middle of the game, and walked off the court high fiving his players after getting thrown out of the game. What a horrid leader.

In the 3 UConn games that I have paid attention to he: actually shushed the SU fans, got into a verbal altercation with an FSU player on the bench in the middle of the game, and walked off the court high fiving his players after getting thrown out of the game. What a horrid leader.

I agree with your entire post, but have one correction: what a horrid HUMAN BEING

How's that invite looking now? They got the invite because Delaney is a fool and tv sets.

Looking WAAAAAAAY better than the one UConn never got.

It's better to be a P5 dumpster fire, than a P6, 6th Boro, whatever the hell AACk mid-major the Huskies are.

UConn was never getting into the ACC.
They burned the bridge by leading the lawsuit in CT led by then CT AG now Senator Richard Blumenthal.
They not only sued the ACC they individually named John Swafford, Rev. Leahy(BC), Donna Shalala(Miami) and other presidents from ACC as defendants.

That burned UConn in the eyes of the ACC. The Big Ten was never going to add UConn. The Big Ten added for population to get more carriers for the BTN.
CT population is less than N.Y./NJ/MD they weren’t getting in the Big Ten.

When Louisville was picked to replace Maryland the ACC could have taken UConn they passed as Clemson/Florida State cashes in their capital and didn’t want another Northeast medicore football school without the history of BC/SU.

UConn is exactly where they deserve. If they wanted in a P5 conference they should have been playing power football a lot earlier than 2002 without the safety net of being given a golden ticket to a BCS league.

Syracuse was on the edge but our history and brand wasn’t getting us left out. Boeheim was the biggest reason we didn’t leave the Big East earlier. I know for a fact in the 90s after that Buzz/Jake C negotiated with the. Big Ten after Penn State joined and the school didn’t go all-in because JB was rumored to go into Jake C’s office and say I don’t want to play god damn conference games in Iowa.
You seem to know a lot, but I am skeptical of your facts that SU was offered to join the ACC in 1991 and that we were negotiating to join the Big Ten under Buzz and Jake. Was any of this public knowledge, or not?

You seem to know a lot, but I am skeptical of your facts that SU was offered to join the ACC in 1991 and that we were negotiating to join the Big Ten under Buzz and Jake. Was any of this public knowledge, or not?
The 1991 ACC stuff is public
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...bb1610b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.240a0c2c5822
ACC wanted both Syracuse and Florida State.
Syracuse stayed with the Big East because they got Miami and the Big East finally formed a football conference by adding Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers to existing members Boston College and Pittsburgh and us. The Big East actually semi-retained its basketball roots with West Virginia and Rutgers as football-only members until 1995, and Virginia Tech until 2001. Temple basketball wasn’t added because of Villanova.

Florida State chose ACC over SEC in 1992. When the SEC added South Carolina and Arkansas the Gamecocks were picked after Florida State said they wanted the ACC.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL / GENE WOJCIECHOWSKI : Florida State Reverse Was the Smart Play

The Big Ten stuff is stuff I was told when I worked studied in the SU AD as a student from old timers who were in the know here’s a hint his name rhymes with Stake Scroutcmaels.
He told me my freshman year which was his last year the exact spot where JB came in and said I don’t want to bleeping play conference games in Iowa.

If I could take a year off work and schedule interviews I could write an interesting book on college expansion I just can’t dedicate the proper time to do it right.

The 1991 ACC stuff is public
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...bb1610b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.240a0c2c5822
ACC wanted both Syracuse and Florida State.
Syracuse stayed with the Big East because they got Miami and the Big East finally formed a football conference by adding Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers to existing members Boston College and Pittsburgh and us. The Big East actually semi-retained its basketball roots with West Virginia and Rutgers as football-only members until 1995, and Virginia Tech until 2001. Temple basketball wasn’t added because of Villanova.

Florida State chose ACC over SEC in 1992. When the SEC added South Carolina and Arkansas the Gamecocks were picked after Florida State said they wanted the ACC.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL / GENE WOJCIECHOWSKI : Florida State Reverse Was the Smart Play

The Big Ten stuff is stuff I was told when I worked studied in the SU AD as a student from old timers who were in the know here’s a hint his name rhymes with Stake Scroutcmaels.
He told me my freshman year which was his last year the exact spot where JB came in and said I don’t want to bleeping play conference games in Iowa.

If I could take a year off work and schedule interviews I could write an interesting book on college expansion I just can’t dedicate the proper time to do it right.
Thanks. The early '90's stuff seemed to be more smoke than fire, but if Jake actually talked to the Big Ten, that's more than I knew.

Looking WAAAAAAAY better than the one UConn never got.

It's better to be a P5 dumpster fire, than a P6, 6th Boro, whatever the hell AACk mid-major the Huskies are.
I meant for the big ten.

How the hell does a school in Tampa call themselves the University of South Florida? I get UCF is gone but call themselves UFT like UAB. University of Floirda-Tampa.

Have had this argument with my wife on multiple occasions. She's getting another degree there right now and I continually say the name makes no sense at all. Crap isn't in south florida if you can just drive directly south for another 6 hours before you hit the end.

It wasn’t luck. It was the obvious happening. The ACC was fortunate to acquire the crown jewel of the Big East and further strengthen their league and brand.

Well, maybe so.

But ask yourself this question. Who would be in worse shape, the ACC without SU or SU without the ACC?

One would still be OK. The other would be in a buddiing disaster.

Last edited:
Heres what i Know.

In 2003 the ACC looked to expand. They kicked the tires on SU but ultimately went with Miami, Va Tech, and BC.

In 2011 The ACC looked to expand again. They took Syracuse and Pitt. Shortly after ND jumped. Then they had to backfill when Maryland left for the Big 10. So they took Louisville.

Shortly after that the Big 10 looked to expand East. They wanted the Tri State area and the cable boxes that came with it. They took RUTGERS.

Then 2015 rolls around and the Big 12 thought about expanding. They took a good look around at the properties available, talked amongst themselves, and decided "Nah, we're good."

So maybe it was a coincidence that over fifteen years Uconn was a total afterthought wrt conference expansion and maybe they're ship is going to pull into the harbor one of these days!

Thanks. The early '90's stuff seemed to be more smoke than fire, but if Jake actually talked to the Big Ten, that's more than I knew.
We talked to the Big Ten. It didn’t get close to being official JB wasn’t interested and Jake C had football taken care by the Big East getting Miami.

Have had this argument with my wife on multiple occasions. She's getting another degree there right now and I continually say the name makes no sense at all. Crap isn't in south florida if you can just drive directly south for another 6 hours before you hit the end.
It doesn’t make sense but I guess the brand is what they care about.
When I think of South Florida I think of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.
Tampa/Orlando are Central Florida but UCF has Central Florida.
North Florida or Florida-Tampa are what they should use.

Heres what i Know.

In 2003 the ACC looked to expand. They kicked the tires on SU but ultimately went with Miami, Va Tech, and BC.

In 2011 The ACC looked to expand again. They took Syracuse and Pitt. Shortly after ND jumped. Then they had to backfill when Maryland left for the Big 10. So they took Louisville.

Shortly after that the Big 10 looked to expand East. They wanted the Tri State area and the cable boxes that came with it. They took RUTGERS.

Then 2015 rolls around and the Big 12 thought about expanding. They took a good look around at the properties available, talked amongst themselves, and decided "Nah, we're good."

So maybe it was a coincidence that over fifteen years Uconn was a total afterthought wrt conference expansion and maybe they're ship is going to pull into the harbor one of these days!
They didn’t kick the tires on Syracuse in 2003. ACC sent officials to inspect the campus and facilities. We were gone but UNC/Duke were against expansion beyond Miami because they didn’t want more than 10 to protect the double round robin in basketball.
To expand the ACC needed 7 of 9 schools on board.
Without Duke/UNC on board the other 7 had to be yes on Syracuse/BC and we all know the Governor of Virginia to leverage UVA to vote no unless Virginia Tech was added.
So because UVA had leverage and Miami told the Big East they were leaving by June 30rd to avoid a bigger exit fee the ACC flipped because of UVA and decided to add just Miami and Virginia Tech.
BC and Syracuse got screwed by Governor Marc Warner. Both went back to the Big East but only Syracuse committed to the conference stability BC went to meetings but always trying to get into the ACC.
The ACC petitioned the NCAA to have a conference title game with 11.
The NCAA said no.
So the ACC added BC as the 12th because they wanted it and were backstabbing the Big East.
Syracuse was in the middle they didn’t try to be the 12th school but they refused to join the Big East lawsuit against the ACC.

Heres what i Know.

You are right about UConn never being considered.

One of the factors has been the matter of the Big East law suit that was filed against the ACC and ACC brass individually led by the CT Attorney General Blumenthal (Now Senator Blumenthal recently exposed for lyng about his service in Vietnam.) Other Big East schools signed on t0 the suit, but UConn led the charge claiming that the recent investments they had made upgrading from 1-AA were at risk.

Universities suing other universities was unheard of at the time. A guy I knew who was the chief counsel for a local university told me it seemed "crazy". This lawsuit failed resulting in huge legal bills for the Big East universities. But most importantly it created a reservoir of hurt feelings and anger especially at BC.

For some reason this law suit has left UConn with the Mark of Cain. It certainly isn't the only factor, but it is A factor.

They didn’t kick the tires on Syracuse in 2003. ACC sent officials to inspect the campus and facilities. We were gone but UNC/Duke were against expansion beyond Miami because they didn’t want more than 10 to protect the double round robin in basketball.
Without Duke/UNC on board the other 7 had to be yes on Syracuse/BC and we all know the Governor of Virginia to leverage UVA to vote no unless Virginia Tech was added.
So because UVA had leverage and Miami told the Big East they were leaving by June 30rd to avoid a bigger exit fee the ACC flipped because of UVA and decided to add just Miami and Virginia Tech.
BC and Syracuse got screwed by Governor Marc Warner. Both went back to the Big East but only Syracuse committed to the conference stability BC went to meetings but always trying to get into the ACC.
The NCAA said no.
So the ACC added BC as the 12th because they wanted it and were backstabbing the Big East.
Syracuse was in the middle they didn’t try to be the 12th school but they refused to join the Big East lawsuit against the ACC.

OK I mean thats tangential at best to the point of the post but thank you for going into excruciating detail on the 2003 ACC saga.

And yes I do mean "excruciating."

OK I mean thats tangential at best to the point of the post but thank you for going into excruciating detail on the 2003 ACC saga.

I did for others who aren’t aware of the entire process.
I said I could write a book. That was cliff notes of cliff notes for a chapter.

The NCAA said no.

Anyone remember not long after all that, the 2003 football game against BC at the Dome, when some SU fans were tossing fake money in the air? I remember lots of “proud member of the Big East” type signs too.

You did write, "They kicked the tires on SU but ultimately went with Miami, Va Tech, and BC"

If you had written went with Miami and VT and would have gone with SU until the Governor of Virginia leveraged VT in" there would have been no need to expand and clarify.

"Kicking the tires" in no way even remotely describes what happened.

Last edited:
The thing that sucks so much about losing to that ing program and coach is not only the fact that we lost to a sh!tty team and a program i hate more than any other, but also every time they lose it makes the loss that much worse for our resume and various ratings formulas. So we can't even root for them to lose every game because every loss by them hurts us.
Combined with their recruiting successes and seeming involvement with every guy we are interested in, i'm pretty salty right about now. But nothing a winning streak couldn't cure.
i hope akok goes pro.

I did for others who aren’t aware of the entire process.
I said I could write a book. That was cliff notes of cliff notes for a chapter.

No need to apologize for that clarification. No reason to allow history to be rewritten because some find detail and accuracy "excruciating".

Syracuse was among the ACC's first choices and not some afterthought. When we were added to the ACC along with Pitt, we were at the top of the ACC's list based upon 2003.

That's important for new fans to understand.

Anyone remember not long after all that, the 2003 football game against BC at the Dome, when some SU fans were tossing fake money in the air? I remember lots of “proud member of the Big East” type signs too.
Yeah I was part of those student who threw dollar bills at BC. It was Halloween weekend 2003.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom