That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would

Anyone remember not long after all that, the 2003 football game against BC at the Dome, when some SU fans were tossing fake money in the air? I remember lots of “proud member of the Big East” type signs too.

I have wondered about that. Talk about hippocracy and sour grapes.

Our bags were packed along with Miami's and BC's.

The University had laid out the good china and silverware for the evaluation made by the ACC committee. We absolutely put our best foot forward and fully expected an invitation. And there was no question we would not have gone to the ACC if invited.

There's idiots in every fan base. Those fans throwing fake money and waving Big East signs must have been taking their cues from other schools.

HAHA. Same.

You gotta be kidding.

Did it occur to you that SU would have done exactly what BC did, if we were invited?

I don't think I could come up with a better example of Aesop's point about the fox and the grapes if i tried.

You gotta be kidding.

Did it occur to you that SU would have done exactly what BC did, if we were invited?

I don't think I could come up with a better example of Aesop's point about the fox and the grapes if i tried.

Yeah I was 19 years old at the time and was a fan sitting in the student section just like Alsacs was. I also was heavily intoxicated and didn't know quite as much about the world as I did today. If that's enough to judge us on then fine, but 18-22 year old kids today are probably about as mature as I was 15 years ago.

I dont know about you guys but I didnt love anything more as a 19 year old college student than to put a way a 12 pack of Nattie, head to the football game and do some serious introspection and nuanced, thoughtful support of the home team.

In 2003 the ACC looked to expand. They kicked the tires on SU but ultimately went with Miami, Va Tech, and BC.

It was more than luck the tires. The media releases were written. Last minute Warner made political threats to UVA which forced them to be the deciding vote of no on syracuse and yes on VT. The conference and the selection committee led by Debbie Yow, wanted SU.

The Maryland Mole says hello. :)

You gotta be kidding.

Syracuse didn’t do what BC did.
The problem was once ACC added Miami and Virginia Tech the administration from Syracuse and BC went back to the Big East and pledged loyalty.
BC stabbed that in the back and was trying to play both sides.
SU didn’t do that.

The reason Syracuse students threw dollars at BC was they sold out their word they made to the Big East and showed they had no intergrity. That is why students were throwing dollars at BC.

They had every right to want to leave but how BC was playing both sides and was giving the information from Big East to the ACC. That is how the minutes from the 2003 Big East meeting at the Newark airport hotel leaked online.
BC had no integrity that was shown in this process. Syracuse handled itself with class.

It was more than luck the tires. The media releases were written. Last minute Warner made political threats to UVA which forced them to be the deciding vote of no on syracuse and yes on VT. The conference and the selection committee led by Debbie Yow, wanted SU.

The Maryland Mole says hello. :)

So if anyone can answer this I would greatly appreciate it. How serious was SU being courted by the ACC and how close were we to joining back in 2003? No one has been able to explain in to me in detail.

So if anyone can answer this I would greatly appreciate it. How serious was SU being courted by the ACC and how close were we to joining back in 2003? No one has been able to explain in to me in detail.

That’s what my post said. We were very serious and the ACC was very serious. We were in. It was as done as could be done if not for politics. The announcements were written. Warner and UVA stopped it last minute.

The problem was once ACC added Miami and Virginia Tech the administration from Syracuse and BC went back to the Big East and pledged loyalty.
SU didn’t do that.

The reason Syracuse students threw dollars at BC was they sold out their word they made to the Big East and showed they had no intergrity. That is why students were throwing dollars at BC.

They had every right to want to leave but how BC was playing both sides and was giving the information from Big East to the ACC. That is how the minutes from the 2003 Big East meeting at the Newark airport hotel leaked online.
BC had no integrity that was shown in this process. Syracuse handled itself with class.

Ive heard that before.

But I have also read th BC explanation. BC all along said what it
SU didn’t do that.

That would be a nice take, if that was what happened.

When Fr. Leahey and BC committed to the Big East it was a QUALIFIED commitment. What Healey said every single time was that BC was not interested in hybrid, greatly expanded Big East. When the Big East said it was going to do exactly what Healey said BC could not accept it made that commitment null and void.

Teh anti-BC crowd likes to forget and or ignore the full text of BC's so-called commitment. It wasn't a "WE will be with you regardless". It was a "We are with you as long as you don't do this".

You can believe who you want on this. As for me, I'm sticking with the Jesuit priest.

The ACC put out feelers to SU, and we said we were definitely interested. They even did a much ballyhooed on-campus review of facilities and interviews. All was well until bees posted "There's a disturbance in the Force." I will always remember that.

The Gov of Virginia didn't want to see VaTech left in a dying conference, so he strong-armed UVa into supporting VT over us. Then Fredo went behind our backs and begged, cajoled, and wheedled for a spot after declaring they were loyal to the BE. Screw them.

Anyway, that's the gist of what happened.

Yeah I was part of those student who threw dollar bills at BC. It was Halloween weekend 2003.

After we went to the ACC did you throw fake dollar bills at the Hall of Languages?

Well, maybe so.

But ask yourself this question. Who would be in worse shape, the ACC without SU or SU without the ACC?

One would still be OK. The other would be in a buddiing disaster.

100% accurate! And, anyone attempting to debate otherwise is simply not being honest. Regardless of '91 or '03, fact is, we were very fortunate to get the ACC invite knowing what the dire consequences would've meant had we not been given the generous gift/lifeline from the ACC during the last go around of expansion.

Last edited:
I got lost in all this money toss. Side note - I was a student in the student section. I knew nothing of the money toss. But I did drunkenly throw some Mardi gras beads at a bc player after they scored a td in our corner (maybe a blocked punt?) no idea how I didn’t get kicked out.

Anyway. Back the the original post... Bol Bol is officially out for year so that Oregon loss may not look pretty either.

I got lost in all this money toss. Side note - I was a student in the student section. I knew nothing of the money toss. But I did drunkenly throw some Mardi gras beads at a bc player after they scored a td in our corner (maybe a blocked punt?) no idea how I didn’t get kicked out.

Anyway. Back the the original post... Bol Bol is officially out for year so that Oregon loss may not look pretty either.

Oh wait... was the money toss during football or basketball season?

After we went to the ACC did you throw fake dollar bills at the Hall of Languages?
Syracuse didn’t do what BC did. You can think differently but BC could have been transparent. Syracuse didn’t say one think and do another.
BC did.

I remember Walter Reyes going off that game.

in 2003? i dont think he did... he had the 3 of the 1st 4 games that were red hot... he did the heisman pose running after post game on field interview against toledo. then he got cold for a few games.

RJ Anderson had a big game iirc.

in 2003? i dont think he did... he had the 3 of the 1st 4 games that were red hot... he did the heisman pose running after post game on field interview against toledo. then he got cold for a few games.

RJ Anderson had a big game iirc.
I guess I was wrong. I just remember Reyes scoring a TD and throwing dollar bills.
Didn’t we have a special teams TD as well?
I am not 100% as I am going on memory. I just remember being young and dumb the ACC chants at BC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom