The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

So looks like we have 74 players/commits for next year which means we have 11 scholarships available now? We should be able to fill some gaps with that many spots available

Right, stupid of me to put it in as a W when there is still time on the clock.

Is this what being a soccer fan feels like? Having multiple things your team competes in?

2 Bama kids and a Clemson kid hit the portal today as well as a big DL from Florida.

FWIW, 4, count 'em, 4 Ol' Miss players hit the portal today.

Do they already know something about Lane Kiffin that we don't?

75 players entered the portal just today. I figured a hundred in week starting today. Looks like I will be way off. Could be 400-500 in the portal by December 15. Be interesting if su can fill any needs.

I feel like they missed Rondi. (We were at 10 last wednesday?) If so, we've never lost the lead.

Last edited:
With the portal, and key player Tucker a current (?), OC candidates apparently can't get a clear idea of the personnel they will coach?
The portal must add a big new challenge making hires, especially this OC hire where candidates may see this as basically a 1-year chance to make an impact/build their resume under Dino -
Requires new OC to have lots of faith and self-confidence (ie: that Tucker stays, and they can score some key commits and win in the portal).

Many of these kids in the portal aren't going to find a new home. Not only will they lose the opportunity to play football in college but they also lose out on a free college education. This transfer portal was not well thought out. They need to go back and change the parameters for eligibility to transfer.

Many of these kids in the portal aren't going to find a new home. Not only will they lose the opportunity to play football in college but they also lose out on a free college education. This transfer portal was not well thought out. They need to go back and change the parameters for eligibility to transfer.

ehhh I’m not sure about that.

You should be able to transfer if you want to.

It’s your choice if you enter it, no one is making the kids. They just need to have better advisors telling them not to enter.

I think if any parameters are set it should be, you have until week 4 to enter and then after week 4 you have to stay until the end of the season.

That helps protects the team and also gives some protection for the kids to take a redshirt season.

No matter what the kid has to stay in school until the end of the semester to transfer.

You’re going to see some of these kids enter the portal and then leave the portal back to their same school. It’s going to eventually be less taboo and more like free agency

ehhh I’m not sure about that.

You should be able to transfer if you want to.

It’s your choice if you enter it, no one is making the kids. They just need to have better advisors telling them not to enter.

I think if any parameters are set it should be, you have until week 4 to enter and then after week 4 you have to stay until the end of the season.

That helps protects the team and also gives some protection for the kids to take a redshirt season.

No matter what the kid has to stay in school until the end of the semester to transfer.

You’re going to see some of these kids enter the portal and then leave the portal back to their same school. It’s going to eventually be less taboo and more like free agency
A school doesn't have to take a kid back that enters the portal. Most are going to find they are replaced on the roster.

And it's not all about playing football, or whatever other sport, it's about getting an education. The great majority of these kids are never, ever going to play a sport at the professional level. They would be better off not being able to transfer, without sitting, until their junior year unless there is a major change in the coaching staff.

A school doesn't have to take a kid back that enters the portal. Most are going to find they are replaced on the roster.

And it's not all about playing football, or whatever other sport, it's about getting an education. The great majority of these kids are never, ever going to play a sport at the professional level. They would be better off not being able to transfer, without sitting, until their junior year unless there is a major change in the coaching staff.

I understand, but I think you’re going to find schools start taking kids back. I know they don’t have too, but I think you’ll see some of these schools start doing that.

And yes it is about education, if they enter the portal and don’t get picked up, they risk ending their football career but NOT their educational career. They risk losing a free education but they still can go to a FCS school or even D2 or D3 school and play.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands of kids that go to college and don’t play sports.

Which is why I said, they need better advisors to tell them “hey kid, if you enter this portal it probably won’t work out for you.”

There’s going to be some horror stories and kids are going to be less drawn to transferring once they’ve seen their buddy enter for no playing time and not find a spot to land and lose his free education from playing football. Hard price to pay, but it’s how the real world works

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom