The 2021 "at least we're not UConn" thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021 "at least we're not UConn" thread

What is a Tarleton?
Honestly! Have some dignity. Play Holy Cross and Rhode Island and Maine.
Tarleton is the name of the people who funded the university, probably oil money. Rhode Island, Delaware, Towson, SUNY Albany and Stony Brook should all move up to FBS. The northeast is a college football wasteland for a reason.

Still think the Northeast G5 schools should create their own conference.

UConn, UMass, Liberty, and Army are all Indy for football and have homes for BBall. If they add 2 other football onlies they can have a football only conference. They would have 5 conference games and can schedule 7 OOC games against whomever they want. So they can all easily play 4 P5 teams OOC. Having 5 set games would help UConn, UMass, and Liberty. Army would have 7 set games (Air Force and Navy), which still allows for 5 other games.

Navy fits this. Why stay in that AAC? They can play more P5 teams OOC. With 8/9 AAC games, Notre Dame, Army, and Air Force they have no room for variety. They could play 2 games vs Cali teams every year (1 H & 1 A). They could play 2 game vs Texas teams. And they still would have room for Air Force, Army, and Notre Dame.

Temple could fit as well. Wouldn't they like to be back in the A10, if the A10 would take them? The new AAC is a travel nightmare for Temple.

So the Northeast football conference would be:

UMass
UConn
Army
Temple
Navy
Liberty

Being a good FCS playing regional teams >>>>> being dog shite FBS team playing THAT schedule.
There is no TV money for FCS, there are no bowls for FCS, FCS teams get 1/3 of the payday for playing P5 teams. FCS teams don't get any share of the national championship revenue, G5 and indy's do.

There is no TV money for FCS, there are no bowls for FCS, FCS teams get 1/3 of the payday for playing P5 teams. FCS teams don't get any share of the national championship revenue, G5 and indy's do.
If you believe this website, UCONN could get... half a million dollars! And spend it all to go play garbage teams half a continent away no one cares about.

Conference USA​

In 2018, the league announced a five-year deal with CBS Sports Network to serve as the primary rights holder. Stadium and Facebook also carry some of the league’s football and basketball games. Schools receive between $400,000 and $500,000 annually.

If you believe this website, UCONN could get... half a million dollars! And spend it all to go play garbage teams half a continent away no one cares about.

Conference USA​

In 2018, the league announced a five-year deal with CBS Sports Network to serve as the primary rights holder. Stadium and Facebook also carry some of the league’s football and basketball games. Schools receive between $400,000 and $500,000 annually.

They are already playing those teams.

What is a Tarleton?
Honestly! Have some dignity. Play Holy Cross and Rhode Island and Maine.
1635513308147.png

Just to add to the misery, their stadium is literally falling apart and needs tens of millions of dollars in renovations to remain operational.

There will be a lot of case studies in business schools on this football program.

UConn would be far better off just dropping football down to FCS than being a part of that “conference”. They’d literally draw better at The Rent as part of the Colonial than playing in that horror show.

That's going to be awkward when they have to break that news to head coach Bob Stoops.

Or Urban Meyer should he decide the NFL isn't for him.

Why not just stay independent? Unless, they're unable to schedule enough games. Just be the Washington Generals, and collect paychecks from P5 programs, including us.
The biggest problem (as ND and BYU found out) with being independent is finding games for late in the season. ND's 5 ACC games are spread throughout, not just clustered at the beginning. Surprisingly UVa is playing BYU tomorrow, but plays ND on Nov 13 as part of the ACC scheduling arrangement. ND was very lucky to get Stanford to join in with their arrangement with USC.

UConn, UMass, Liberty, and Army are all Indy for football and have homes for BBall. If they add 2 other football onlies they can have a football only conference. They would have 5 conference games and can schedule 7 OOC games against whomever they want. So they can all easily play 4 P5 teams OOC. Having 5 set games would help UConn, UMass, and Liberty. Army would have 7 set games (Air Force and Navy), which still allows for 5 other games.

Navy fits this. Why stay in that AAC? They can play more P5 teams OOC. With 8/9 AAC games, Notre Dame, Army, and Air Force they have no room for variety. They could play 2 games vs Cali teams every year (1 H & 1 A). They could play 2 game vs Texas teams. And they still would have room for Air Force, Army, and Notre Dame.

Temple could fit as well. Wouldn't they like to be back in the A10, if the A10 would take them? The new AAC is a travel nightmare for Temple.

UMass
UConn
Army
Temple
Navy
Liberty
This is actually... not terrible. I might even find a few of the games entertaining. They could probably convince an FCS team to upgrade and even out the schedule. Delaware maybe?

I mean they are willing to spend $2m for a head coach guys. Give them props there

UMass
UConn
Army
Temple
Navy
Liberty
Kick out Liberty add Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Boston College, Maryland

Division A - Haves
Syracuse, Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Boston College, Maryland

Division B - Have nots
UMass, UConn, Army, Temple, Navy, Rutgers

The biggest problem (as ND and BYU found out) with being independent is finding games for late in the season. ND's 5 ACC games are spread throughout, not just clustered at the beginning. Surprisingly UVa is playing BYU tomorrow, but plays ND on Nov 13 as part of the ACC scheduling arrangement. ND was very lucky to get Stanford to join in with their arrangement with USC.
Maybe. They could schedule UMass for Turkey Day weekend as the New England game of the year that no one cares about. Also, the weekend before they can be the tomato can for one of the SEC schools...the South of the Border prostitute that gets passed around every year. But, yeah, the late October/early November games are tough to find. Even FCS teams are getting ready for the playoffs and wouldn't want a game.

Just to add to the misery, their stadium is literally falling apart and needs tens of millions of dollars in renovations to remain operational.

There will be a lot of case studies in business schools on this football program.
I grew up in Foxboro, Mass. When the NFL and AFL merged, the Patriots were essentially homeless, having been kicked out of Fenway Park the year prior. They played a season with rotating home games at BC, BU, Harvard (and even a "home" game in Birmingham, AL). The NFL told the team that if they didn't build a dedicated home field they'd kick them out of the league. After striking out in Boston, and most other area suburbs, the Pats built Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro for the princely sum of $6 million. That same year the Louisiana Superdome was built for $250 million. I loved the place, but Schaefer Stadium was a dump, with the charm of a dirty toilet.

The Rent is pretty similar.

That's going to be awkward when they have to break that news to head coach Bob Stoops.

Or Urban Meyer should he decide the NFL isn't for him.
oh please, like U Conn would settle for those stiffs. They already have a double secret handshake agreement with Saban to be the coach and AD for the next 10 years

I grew up in Foxboro, Mass. When the NFL and AFL merged, the Patriots were essentially homeless, having been kicked out of Fenway Park the year prior. They played a season with rotating home games at BC, BU, Harvard (and even a "home" game in Birmingham, AL). The NFL told the team that if they didn't build a dedicated home field they'd kick them out of the league. After striking out in Boston, and most other area suburbs, the Pats built Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro for the princely sum of $6 million. That same year the Louisiana Superdome was built for $250 million. I loved the place, but Schaefer Stadium was a dump, with the charm of a dirty toilet.

The Rent is pretty similar.

I have a Stoughton Stadium pin from my parents because there was buzz to build the stadium where the Stoughton dump is now (right off of 24). Would have been an awful area for the stadium.

The old Schaefer/Sullivan Stadium was delightfully gross with a terrible product to boot.

I feel like there are some parties that would pocket a lot of money during the 'renovation' I went to the last game we played there and the stadium was in good shape and new. I bet it will be no different next year.

No. He was a British cavalry officer during the American Revolution whose nemesis was Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox. Why someone would name a school in Texas after him is a mystery to me. ;)
You Hoo's should play them when they move up to FBS.

Not UConn but related to what’s being discussed..

How childish is this? Bunch of rich people screwing kids over something they can’t control.
That doesn’t really seem legal. I assume these schools/conferences have clauses that they must give notice, and probably have exit fees. Unless the departure date is before the playoff, I would think they have to be included.

Edit: I was able to access the article. It’s right in their bylaws. So I guess everyone knew the consequences. While not illegal, certainly seems petty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom