The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

If true, this makes me want to throw up. Hiring a defensive head coach just reeks of the same old same old. How will this make us any better on offense? Because he might have learned from his Ole Miss mistakes while at USC? With a ton of help from a staff he didn't hire? He may be a good head coaching candidate, but please let it be for someone else.

We need offense, a real college offense, every day of the week and twice on Saturday. Please stop with the defensive madness.

Coach O is certainly an interesting candidate He is obviously a defensive minded coach but he tried to install a USC type offense at MSU. While he failed, it does give some insight as to the type of offense he would probably try to install at SU.
  1. He certainly can recruit with the best of them.
  2. He is an experienced HC at the highest levels - SEC and PAC 12.
  3. He has charisma.
  4. He tried to hire Lane Kitten as OC at MSU
  5. Clay Helton, OC at USC will probably be available.
Makes a great story returning to the school that gave him a second chance under coach PP back in 1995.

While my preference is an offensive minded coach like Dino Babers, I do think Coach O is a major upgrade.

He has charisma. LOL.

So basically he's Scott shafer except more bombastic. Back a bit there was his record which I believe was actually worse than or the same as shafer. but by what I am reading we will have a good defense (which we actually have had) and no offense. Sounds legit.

Coach O = Not happening. Nor should it.
I don't think it will happen either, but we really don't know anything about Coyle's network and who influences his thinking. While there are indications that he like offensive minded coaches who really knows?

I don't think it will happen either, but we really don't know anything about Coyle's network and who influences his thinking. While there are indications that he like offensive minded coaches who really knows?

What we know is if he has done this. Or tried to keep it quiet it didn't work and it's bushleague.

There's no indication on anything about Coyle's thinking, not even that he likes offensive guys. Ed O's not happening because it would be a terrible hire, and, because I highly doubt we get a new coach period.

But, you're right, who really knows?

What we know is if he has done this. Or tried to keep it quiet it didn't work and it's bushleague.
It's not bush league , it's called due diligence. He spoke with him to gauge interest in returning to Cuse in some capacity.

He has charisma. LOL.

So basically he's Scott shafer except more bombastic. Back a bit there was his record which I believe was actually worse than or the same as shafer. but by what I am reading we will have a good defense (which we actually have had) and no offense. Sounds legit.

Not really. He has no history of hiring a D3 coach as OC or an OLine coach with no experience. Of course, I don't know of any other coach who has done that either.

you can keep pretending like it's aesthetics but i didn't have many takers for my question about non factories with defensive head coaches with good, non-spread, offenses

Whose to say he wouldn't hire someone to spread it out?

It's all just speculation at this point.

These are things I know about Eddie O: 1. He has a highly suspect record as a HC, but did show improvement at USC; 2. He is an elite recruiter; 3. Players will love him and go all out for him.

He merits a look.

Coyle is now bush league, wow. I wouldn't put much stock in the Ed o rumor mill. I think most know where these rumors are flowing from.

It's not bush league , it's called due diligence. He spoke with him to gauge interest in returning to Cuse in some capacity.

Guy earlier said "we offered". That's bushleague in the coaching profession.

Coyle is now bush league, wow. I wouldn't put much stock in the Ed o rumor mill. I think most know where these rumors are flowing from.

I said if he offered its bushleague. Jesus. Read and take the hate glasses off

Not really. He has no history of hiring a D3 coach as OC or an OLine coach with no experience. Of course, I don't know of any other coach who has done that either.

I get it. But he's never had to be a head coach at a lower level tier p5 school either.

Coyle is now bush league, wow. I wouldn't put much stock in the Ed o rumor mill.
Coyle wouldn't extend an offer while someone held the job. The idea that he would is bush league. Put out feelers to agents, sure, but that is as far as it goes. He will hire a professional search firm and conduct a thorough search. Coyle is a pro IMO.

Whose to say he wouldn't hire someone to spread it out?

It's all just speculation at this point.

These are things I know about Eddie O: 1. He has a highly suspect record as a HC, but did show improvement at USC; 2. He is an elite recruiter; 3. Players will love him and go all out for him.

He merits a look.

To be Devils advocate. Shafer hired McDonald to "spread it out". EO was an elite recruiter at msu. Ole miss. And usc. The players love shafer and go all out for him.

The guys/gals advocating for change want offense. Fast bowling green offense that works in he Mac. Eo is not that guy. Just making that point.

Coyle wouldn't extend an offer while someone held the job. The idea that he would is bush league. Put out feelers to agents, sure, but that is as far as it goes. He will hire a professional search firm and conduct a thorough search. Coyle is a pro IMO.

To be clear I was only commenting about the dude that said he was offered.

I get it. But he's never had to be a head coach at a lower level tier p5 school either.
Please. That is rationalization on a whole new level. Shafer didn't even conduct a search to replace McDonald. He bet the farm on a D3 coach with an offense that is primarily found lower levels. The only other ACC team that even uses that formation is Georgia Tech and they have power backs in the true triple option. Sorry, but there was no need to reinvent the wheel.

Please. That is rationalization on a whole new level. Shafer didn't even conduct a search to replace McDonald. He bet the farm on a D3 coach with an offense that is primarily found lower levels. The only other ACC team that even uses that formation is Georgia Tech and they have power backs in the true triple option. Sorry, but there was no need to reinvent the wheel.

It's not really a rationalization. It was an observation. After I said. I get it.

There's no indication on anything about Coyle's thinking, not even that he likes offensive guys. Ed O's not happening because it would be a terrible hire, and, because I highly doubt we get a new coach period.

But, you're right, who really knows?
I think the fact that Shafer has a 4 year contract really is a factor that changes the dynamic. I think the PS article is correct. Coyle really only has 2 options rather than 3. He has to extend him or replace him. I think that makes the odds Coyle does the latter far higher.

He only has to eat one year's salary rather than two and if he extends him he really owns it.

Here is the deal as I see it. Shafer is not a year away from success. Next year the freshmen will only be sophomores and we will have a new O Line. We are a few years away, especially with our division. I don't see Coyle making that bet. If he hires his own guy he gets to reset the clock. It is a simple business decision.

Do you think that HCSS had the resources to replaced McDonald with a proven OC? Just a question because I don't know if he did. His hires make me believe that he had a very limited budget