The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

It's crazy to read that people don't want Frost. He's literally a perfect fit for this program. Experience at both DC and OC. Great recruiter. Young. Up-tempo offense that would play to the strengths of playing in a Dome.

What's the negative? If he uses us for a stepping stone that means he was successful.

Is he a great recruiter? I haven't heard that.

Right. He could take the Tulane job. He's from Louisiana

Tulane: Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman notes two possibilities for the Tulane head coaching job include LSU running backs / associate head coach / recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson and Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop.
Louisiana-Monroe: Southern Miss offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Chip Lindsey is in the mix for the ULM head coaching job, according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker
Sources tell FootballScoop that despite the obvious location; LSU defensive line coach Ed Orgeron does not consider himself a candidate for this job.

http://footballscoop.com/news/report-tulane-to-fire-curtis-johnson/
Report: Rob Ryan being considered for Tulane head coaching job
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/26/rob-ryan-tulane-football-green-wave

Last edited:
Tulane: Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman notes two possibilities for the Tulane head coaching job include LSU running backs / associate head coach / recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson and Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop.
Louisiana-Monroe: Southern Miss offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Chip Lindsey is in the mix for the ULM head coaching job, according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman.

Sources tell FootballScoop that despite the obvious location; LSU defensive line coach Ed Orgeron does not consider himself a candidate for this job.

http://footballscoop.com/news/report-tulane-to-fire-curtis-johnson/
Report: Rob Ryan being considered for Tulane head coaching job
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/26/rob-ryan-tulane-football-green-wave
That settles that!

It's crazy to read that people don't want Frost. He's literally a perfect fit for this program. Experience at both DC and OC. Great recruiter. Young. Up-tempo offense that would play to the strengths of playing in a Dome.

What's the negative? If he uses us for a stepping stone that means he was successful.
Somewhere earlier in this thread, I posted an Oregon-based article that mentioned the finalists for the Boise job that Coyle filled. In the comments section of that article, there were several by Oregon fans that wanted to get rid of Frost and hoped he'd be hired. I don't recall the reasoning (maybe they were just the west coast version of syr.com commentors) and this thread is now too big for me to flip thru to find and re-link. If you're curious, have a look.

UCF: reports that UCF’s search is focused on four candidates: Bowling Green head coach Dino Babers, North Carolina defensive coordinator Gene Chizik, Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins and Florida co-defensive coordinator Randy Shannon. The site adds that interviews are expected to happen Saturday and Sunday.

I could careless about the stepping stone portion.

Frost has never been a HC. His recruiting isn't anything special as Oregon recruits for itself.

His coaching isn't what has made the Oregon offense special. It is Chip Kelly's system and they have had a Heisman QB and Vernon Adams sorry if I believe it is the talent and not the coaching.

I want a HC with prior HC experience. Syracuse hasn't hired a HC with D-1 HC experience since 1939.

Him being young means nothing to me.

If Frost is the guy I will support the guy but this would be a pure gamble. I am sick of Syracuse gambling with coordinators.

Alsacs said:
I could careless about the stepping stone portion. Frost has never been a HC. His recruiting isn't anything special as Oregon recruits for itself. His coaching isn't what has made the Oregon offense special. It is Chip Kelly's system and they have had a Heisman QB and Vernon Adams sorry if I believe it is the talent and not the coaching. I want a HC with prior HC experience. Syracuse hasn't hired a HC with D-1 HC experience since 1939. Him being young means nothing to me. If Frost is the guy I will support the guy but this would be a pure gamble. I am sick of Syracuse gambling with coordinators.
frost is the best option he is our Eric Taylor

I could careless about the stepping stone portion.

Frost has never been a HC. His recruiting isn't anything special as Oregon recruits for itself.

His coaching isn't what has made the Oregon offense special. It is Chip Kelly's system and they have had a Heisman QB and Vernon Adams sorry if I believe it is the talent and not the coaching.

I want a HC with prior HC experience. Syracuse hasn't hired a HC with D-1 HC experience since 1939.

Him being young means nothing to me.

If Frost is the guy I will support the guy but this would be a pure gamble. I am sick of Syracuse gambling with coordinators.

while in general it would be nice to have a new HC with experience, to me its not the end all be all here.To me the more mandatory thing is that the head coach should favor the offensive side of the ball since the rules favor offense and we went defensive minded with Coach Shafer. IF Frost is the guy according to Coyle i am willing to be a believer since he seems to be pretty smart

while in general it would be nice to have a new HC with experience, to me its not the end all be all here.To me the more mandatory thing is that the head coach should favor the offensive side of the ball since the rules favor offense and we went defensive minded with Coach Shafer. IF Frost is the guy according to Coyle i am willing to be a believer since he seems to be pretty smart
I want an offensive guy as well but I believe we should hire a current HC.

Coyle seems like he knows what he is doing but I need to see it believe it. Frost is a gamble. I don't think we should be gambling this hire.

Coyle seems like he knows what he is doing but I need to see it believe it. Frost is a gamble. I don't think we should be gambling this hire.

Agree 100%. There is a time when a program is in position to gamble. We aren't in that position. HC experience seems like a must-have pre-requisite, given the state of our program.

We don't have the capacity for on-the-job training right now.

since Coyle has a prior relationship its less of a gamble than a normal coordinator

since Coyle has a prior relationship its less of a gamble than a normal coordinator

Does just interviewing someone make it a prior relationship?

I don't think it's any less of a gamble, he's never been a HC so Coyle doesn't know how he'll do in that position.

What relationship does Coyle have with Frost? He interviewed him for the Boise State job one or two times?

I mean that isn't much of a relationship. Frost interviewed well and that is good but most candidates should interview well. Doug Marrone wowed Dr. Gross with a binder.

Color me unimpressed if the Boise State interviews are what we are basing this relationship off. As Coyle went with Harsin over Frost.

Frost shouldn't be getting a P5 job as his first HC job. Tom Herman took the Houston job, Phil Montgomery took the Tulsa job. Those guys didn't get P5 jobs right away.

Frost is too much of a gamble for me. He is the type of candidate we should look to hire after our current goes to a better job.

What relationship does Coyle have with Frost? He interviewed him for the Boise State job one or two times?

I mean that isn't much of a relationship. Frost interviewed well and that is good but most candidates should interview well. Doug Marrone wowed Dr. Gross with a binder.

Color me unimpressed if the Boise State interviews are what we are basing this relationship off. As Coyle went with Harsin over Frost.

Frost shouldn't be getting a P5 job as his first HC job. Tom Herman took the Houston job, Phil Montgomery took the Tulsa job. Those guys didn't get P5 jobs right away.

Frost is too much of a gamble for me. He is the type of candidate we should look to hire after our current goes to a better job.

Great post.

I don't think it's any less of a gamble, he's never been a HC so Coyle doesn't know how he'll do in that position.

a mac/aac level coach or coordinator is not a big difference to me since any of the hot name guys who knows how they will do coaching better talent and bigger egos thats one thing frost /Sanford will have done while not being head coach. It is a risk to hire another coordinator but if he is determined to be the best guy for the job but the man in charge of our athletic department i see no reason to doubt him going in since our ad has done everything better than Gross since he has been here

a mac/aac level coach or coordinator is not a big difference to me since any of the hot name guys who knows how they will do coaching better talent and bigger egos thats one thing frost /Sanford will have done while not being head coach. It is a risk to hire another coordinator but if he is determined to be the best guy for the job but the man in charge of our athletic department i see no reason to doubt him going in since our ad has done everything better than Gross since he has been here

Completely disagree. A head coach who is successful has proven that they can run a program.

I don't dispute the lower level considerations, but coordinators with zero track record have more risk relative to whether they have the chops to succeed that proven coaches do.

[QUOTE="Chris02M, post: 1567316, member: 454"]a mac/aac level coach or coordinator is not a big difference to me since any of the hot name guys who knows how they will do coaching better talent and bigger egos thats one thing frost /Sanford will have done while not being head coach. It is a risk to hire another coordinator but if he is determined to be the best guy for the job but the man in charge of our athletic department i see no reason to doubt him going in since our ad has done everything better than Gross since he has been here[/QUOTE]
Chris man you can't be serious.

Being a HC is completely different than being a coordinator. You are responsible for everything as a HC. You go to all meetings not just your side of the ball. You are the leader of the game plan.

Then on Saturdays you make the decisions. Being a coordinator you always want to go for 4th downs but as HC you have to adjust when to go and when not too.

Risk has been our problem. We have hired 3 inexperienced HCs in a row. 2 Def and 1 Off. I think wanting a HC and something new is a good idea.

It's complicated.

Friday Night Lights - HC of the Dillon Panthers

If there's anybody who hasn't watched this show yet, do so immediately.
That show was on while I was in law school and didn't watch much TV. Never seen it. I saw the movie with Billy Bob Thornton it was good.

[QUOTE="Chris02M, post: 1567316, member: 454"]a mac/aac level coach or coordinator is not a big difference to me since any of the hot name guys who knows how they will do coaching better talent and bigger egos thats one thing frost /Sanford will have done while not being head coach. It is a risk to hire another coordinator but if he is determined to be the best guy for the job but the man in charge of our athletic department i see no reason to doubt him going in since our ad has done everything better than Gross since he has been here
Chris man you can't be serious.

Being a HC is completely different than being a coordinator. You are responsible for everything as a HC. You go to all meetings not just your side of the ball. You are the leader of the game plan.

Then on Saturdays you make the decisions. Being a coordinator you always want to go for 4th downs but as HC you have to adjust when to go and when not too.

Risk has been our problem. We have hired 3 inexperienced HCs in a row. 2 Def and 1 Off. I think wanting a HC and something new is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

In fairness Shafer got the job because he was already here and a good bit older than Hackett...no way his sniffs this job otherwise.

If Coyle runs all the traps and pulls out a coordinator I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Still waters run deep with that guy.

I agree with all of that. But Oregon has done pretty well with promoting its coordinators. There are some other examples of guys who got power 5 gigs for their first HC job who have done well - Stoops, Gundy, Strong, Swinney, Fisher, Freeze, Mullen, Richt, Franklin, Chryst, Fitzgerald (he and his NW program are often mentioned as a benchmark for SU), Shaw, Leach, RichRod (if you dont count a D2 program). So it's not unprecedented. And, the MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA guys flame out just as often as they are successful.

Bottom line, if Coyle think Frost has all the chops, there is no reason not to make the hire. Higher risk or not. I do worry about his ability to recruit the East coast and pull together an East coast oriented staff. Almost all of the above-coaches were promotions within or were already working in the respective region.