The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Only ones not named in this thread are Bobby Wilder and the oc who has cuse connections that I can't remember where he is right now. His name has been mentioned before he's at a good school I think in Texas maybe?

John Reagan?

My fault wasn't Reagan it is Warner always get those two mixed up from the last time coaches names were brought up when Shafer was hired.

I could see either as OC, but HC?

Not going to move the needle. Neither guys resume says P5 head coach.

And Warner co-Runs a pro style B10 offense.

If Dave Warner and Eddie O are on the list..., it's a list of 8.

My only concern with Frost is has he ever shown that he can coach up or do more with less. Oregon recruits itself and has elite talent everywhere. I am not sold the guy can come in and sell the program and recruit the talent he needs. He has never shown he can do it. A guy like Babers? I can see that he has done that at Bowling Green or at least coached the kids up to run his system effectively. You can see a track record of success. All I see with Frost is a hot coordinator at the hot program who spends like a pro franchise. I am not really impressed, just my opinion. To me he looks like the hire that Kansas made from Texas A&M

Guy like Frost is a show dog, guy like Babers is a junk yard dog. I really want a guy with HC experience. Hey maybe will light this thing on Fire but Frost isn't the most dynamic guy either, don't know if he can sell an entire program. Then again his personality may suit the new regime quite nicely, less snake oil more substance.

Last edited:
Majority of the coaches named were offensive coordinators or lower level head guys that have been named throughout the last month. Only name that would throw people off is Orgeron. Was told when LSU played here that Coyle went out of his way to tell him that they would be speaking in the future.
Let's hope its not, "Hey Ed, where's that money you owe me?"

IthacaBarrel said:
My only concern with Frost is has he ever shown that he can coach up or do more with less. Oregon recruits itself and has elite talent everywhere. I am not sold the guy can come in and sell the program and recruit the talent he needs. He has never shown he can do it. A guy like Babers? I can see that he has done that at Bowling Green or at least coached the kids up to run his system effectively. You can see a track record of success. All I see with Frost is a hot coordinator at the hot program who spends like a pro franchise. I am not really impressed, just my opinion. To me he looks like the hire that Kansas made from Texas A&M Guy like Frost is a show dog, guy like Babers is a junk yard dog. I really want a guy with HC experience. Hey maybe will light this thing on Fire but Frost isn't the most dynamic guy either, don't know if he can sell an entire program. Then again his personality may suit the new regime quite nicely, less snake oil more substance.

That's why you interview.

There's more risk with Frost, but sometimes it's worth it. I'm glad he might be on the list.

He did a great job as the interim coach of USC, but doesn't he have some baggage from another school? Was it Ole Miss. He's a good coach I like him seems like a players coach too.
He had a retraining order against him by his girlfriend when at Miami. I have a tough time seeing Coyle hiring a guy with a background of repeated domestic violence. Who knows?

My only concern with Frost is has he ever shown that he can coach up or do more with less. Oregon recruits itself and has elite talent everywhere. I am not sold the guy can come in and sell the program and recruit the talent he needs. He has never shown he can do it. A guy like Babers? I can see that he has done that at Bowling Green or at least coached the kids up to run his system effectively. You can see a track record of success. All I see with Frost is a hot coordinator at the hot program who spends like a pro franchise. I am not really impressed, just my opinion. To me he looks like the hire that Kansas made from Texas A&M

Guy like Frost is a show dog, guy like Babers is a junk yard dog. I really want a guy with HC experience. Hey maybe will light this thing on Fire but Frost isn't the most dynamic guy either, don't know if he can sell an entire program. Then again his personality may suit the new regime quite nicely, less snake oil more substance.

I agree with HC experience being a must. We just can't afford to take that chance. Not at this point.

I do get the appeal of Frost. He has been coached by Tom Osborne, Bill Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, and Jon Gruden; and he has worked with Chip Kelly. He was the QB when Neb won the NC. He has been a DC and a OC. Brings the Oregon offense. That is a very unique list of experiences.

Babers, Montgomery, Herman, or Campbell = Home run

He had a retraining order against him by his girlfriend when at Miami. I have a tough time seeing Coyle hiring a guy with a background of repeated domestic violence. Who knows?

Jesus, it was like 25 years ago, he also use to drink a lot and doesn't anymore. Guy has been pretty solid since 90. I don't think Ed would be a good hire, he does have a lot of good side to him but he can't coach offense. I don't think mistakes he made 25 years ago would be a reason not to hire though.

Jesus, it was like 25 years ago, he also use to drink a lot and doesn't anymore. Guy has been pretty solid since 90. I don't think Ed would be a good hire, he does have a lot of good side to him but he can't coach offense. I don't think mistakes he made 25 years ago would be a reason not to hire though.
Neither do I, but the current environment with respect to DV may give Coyle pause, especially with the competition we are talking about. Personally, I would be OK with coach O.

Neither do I, but the current environment with respect to DV may give Coyle pause, especially with the competition we are talking about. Personally, I would be OK with coach O.

Understood. Coach O can't coach O, that is why we can't hire him and what lead to his demise at Ole Miss. Solid talent, solid Defense and if I remember he had some really decent names on paper as his OC, including Mr. Noel Mazzone who is now at UCLA. Ed O fired mazzone for somebody from the U later.

Reactions: 007

Just one man's opinion, but we should not be "OK" with Coach O (or Coach X) until we are sure they will bring a high powered O to the Dome.

Eddie O as DC?

He is currently DL coach

This is a step up for one last shot as a HC somewhere else

Eddie O as DC?

He is currently DL coach

This is a step up for one last shot as a HC somewhere else

I bet he makes more as the DL coach at LSU in his hometown where his wife and kids live than any of our current assistants. He is not a good fit

I bet he makes more as the DL coach at LSU in his hometown where his wife and kids live than any of our current assistants. He is not a good fit

The only thing you could possibly do is offer him AHC/DC and pay him $1.5 with the expectation he's looking for the next job the day he signs, otherwise why would he ever leave LSU.

The only thing you could possibly do is offer him AHC/DC and pay him $1.5 with the expectation he's looking for the next job the day he signs, otherwise why would he ever leave LSU.

Exactly, he's just not a great fit.

soocher4 list has a wide range of price rags. Looks to me we are bargain hunting yet again. I am not encouraged. Maybe I am just depressed.

Wilder $565,000 92nd HC
Warner $387,000 125th AC
Ogeron $650,000 T25th AC
Frost $400,000 116th AC

EDIT
Campbell $500,000 HC
Wells $600,000 HC

Last edited:
soocher4 list has a wide range of price rags. Looks to me we are bargain hunting yet again. I am not encouraged. Maybe I am just depressed.

Wilder $565,000 92nd HC
Warner $387,000 125th AC
Ogeron $650,000 T25th AC
Frost $400,000 116th AC

Babers is $450,000 with around 200K worth of possible bonus. I like the performance bonus stuff, real world shite.

Is that Frost's old salary? I would bet as the OC/ Qb coach at Oregon he makes more than that

Two others who get paid cheap now are Matt Campbell and Wells at 500k and 600k who are options.

Two others who get paid cheap now are Matt Campbell and Wells at 500k and 600k who are options.
So we now know 6 of the names, why not just give us the rest?