The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Whoever is brought in needs to either fully understand offensive line play or bring in a dynamo offensive line coach. If we're going to run an air raid or up-tempo type of offense, it all starts with our offensive line play. We have some big boys down there that need to be coached up. If they pan out, we got most of these kids for another 4 years. This is something that is often way overlooked.

Also, while I am more focused on having a potent offense than a stingy defense, I would love to see Daoust get a shot at DC. I believe in this current defensive scheme and with some secondary tweaks and blitz packages, it can be effective again. Doesn't need to be a shutdown type of D, but good enough to stop opposing drives and get the occasional turnover. Bullough is way too stubborn and you know that Daoust is licking his chops to be able to start running that defense.

My only concern with Frost is has he ever shown that he can coach up or do more with less. Oregon recruits itself and has elite talent everywhere. I am not sold the guy can come in and sell the program and recruit the talent he needs. He has never shown he can do it. A guy like Babers? I can see that he has done that at Bowling Green or at least coached the kids up to run his system effectively. You can see a track record of success. All I see with Frost is a hot coordinator at the hot program who spends like a pro franchise. I am not really impressed, just my opinion. To me he looks like the hire that Kansas made from Texas A&M

Guy like Frost is a show dog, guy like Babers is a junk yard dog. I really want a guy with HC experience. Hey maybe will light this thing on Fire but Frost isn't the most dynamic guy either, don't know if he can sell an entire program. Then again his personality may suit the new regime quite nicely, less snake oil more substance.
oregon is still very talented but this should've been a year they had a big dropoff with sub par qb play and they're still prolific beyond our wildest dreams. frost has learned from the very best. i prefer babers too. i think the baylor offense is so much more sustainable. babers leaves or retires? no problem, there will be a hundred guys to choose from by then

Almost everyone on this thread will be bowling. That probably means it will be January until a hire is announced. The new guy better have a good network for possible staff.

Almost everyone on this thread will be bowling. That probably means it will be January until a hire is announced. The new guy better have a good network for possible staff.
if it means year 1 is a mess, so be it. can't let yourself be too concerned with that

oregon is still very talented but this should've been a year they had a big dropoff with sub par qb play and they're still prolific beyond our wildest dreams. frost has learned from the very best. i prefer babers too. i think the baylor offense is so much more sustainable. babers leaves or retires? no problem, there will be a hundred guys to choose from by then

Frost HC
Reagan OL/ Run Game
Tim Cramsey/ OC/ OB coach

Tier 2-3 bowls won't keep a coach around.

I am concerned about network not availability as the time frame for hiring staff and NSD is so compressed.

That is always the case. Can't let that hold back a change when it is needed. Sadly I think it is needed.

Interesting about Coyle reaching out to Ed O when LSU came to town. We were 3-0 at that point so you can imagine that a change is happening considering we haven't won since. Frost has been mentioned many times. I worry he hasn't been a HC before. Would much rather see Brohm, Fleck, Campbell, Babers, Carey etc.
Maybe Coyle thought he was speaking with Oregon - not Orgeron.

Wow Coach Orgeron redux? Sign me up. Guy was a complete madman when he was last on the hill. I would hope he would mold the past with the future. That would excite me for sure.

Orgeron should have gotten the USC job over Sarkisian but he wasn't USC-ish enough.

That is always the case. Can't let that hold back a change when it is needed. Sadly I think it is needed.
To be clear, I am not suggesting maintaining the status quo.

Current College Head Coaches

1. Dino Babers, 54 (Bowling Green)
2. Jeff Brohm, 44 (Western Kentucky)
3. Tom Herman, 40 (Houston)
4. Philip Montgomery, 43 (Tulsa)
5. Matt Rhule, 40 (Temple)
6. Matt Campbell, 35 (Toledo)
7. Justin Fuente, 39 (Memphis State)
8. Doc Holliday, 58 (Marshall)
9. Todd Monken, 49 (Southern Miss)
10. Ruffin McNeill, 57 (East Carolina)

College Coordinators

1. Lincoln Riley, 32 (Oklahoma OC)
2. Sonny Cumbie, 34 (TCU Co-OC / QB coach)
3. Kendal Briles, 33 (Baylor OC)
4. Matt Luke, 39 (Ole Miss OC/AHC)
5. Doug Meacham, 50 (TCU Co-OC)
6. Eric Morris, 30 (Texas Tech OC)
7. Mike Yurcich, 38 (Oklahoma State OC)
8. Eliah Drinkwitz, 31 (Boise State OC)
9. Jake Spavital, 30 (Texas A&M OC/QB)
10. Bill Gonzales, 44 (Mississippi State OC
11. Tony Franklin, 58 (Cal OC)

soocher4 list has a wide range of price rags. Looks to me we are bargain hunting yet again. I am not encouraged. Maybe I am just depressed.

Wilder $565,000 92nd HC
Warner $387,000 125th AC
Ogeron $650,000 T25th AC
Frost $400,000 116th AC

EDIT
Campbell $500,000 HC
Wells $600,000 HC

I'm not sure what you expected?

Big, big names won't come here because they'll have better opportunities... Slightly more money, recruiting base closer by, "name" school.

I have zero problem with being a place that hires a guy who makes 500,000 at his last stop. If the guy turns out to be homerun, you see what you have to do to retain him.

My counter to the whole notion that we are a stepping stone school would be - if a guy comes in and puts in the hard work to get us on track, and the trend line is such that a B1G or SEC powerhouse comes sniffing around: a.) that's a good problem to have and b.) why not us at that point? The path to the playoffs is not too hard for any P5 school. The coach invests here, our AD invests in the guy and the infrastructure (IPF/Dome/gameday exp/fund raising) ... We're just beaten down by 20 years of crappy or mediocre coaches to think it's impossible.

if it means year 1 is a mess, so be it. can't let yourself be too concerned with that

Especially if it's already a mess playing in Buffalo or Ithaca or wherever

Current College Head Coaches

1. Dino Babers, 54 (Bowling Green)
2. Jeff Brohm, 44 (Western Kentucky)
3. Tom Herman, 40 (Houston)
4. Philip Montgomery, 43 (Tulsa)
5. Matt Rhule, 40 (Temple)
6. Matt Campbell, 35 (Toledo)
7. Justin Fuente, 39 (Memphis State)
8. Doc Holliday, 58 (Marshall)
9. Todd Monken, 49 (Southern Miss)
10. Ruffin McNeill, 57 (East Carolina)

College Coordinators

1. Lincoln Riley, 32 (Oklahoma OC)
2. Sonny Cumbie, 34 (TCU Co-OC / QB coach)
3. Kendal Briles, 33 (Baylor OC)
4. Matt Luke, 39 (Ole Miss OC/AHC)
5. Doug Meacham, 50 (TCU Co-OC)
6. Eric Morris, 30 (Texas Tech OC)
7. Mike Yurcich, 38 (Oklahoma State OC)
8. Eliah Drinkwitz, 31 (Boise State OC)
9. Jake Spavital, 30 (Texas A&M OC/QB)
10. Bill Gonzales, 44 (Mississippi State OC
11. Tony Franklin, 58 (Cal OC)

Awesome to see all of these young coaches on the list, especially at OC at big P5 schools. That is nuts, good for them.

I prefer we stick with a proven HC and hopefully Coyle will give him a big assistant $$ pool that he can go and grab dynamo coordinators.

If a guy like Bobby Wilder is really on "the list", then I am shocked. ODU with a background of Maine is crazy. If that is what the AD and BOT mean by commitment then I am not interested. Every name on that list represents huge risk.

Frost and Campbell may be a reasonable calculated risk and perhaps the unknown four names are better. Scott Shafer was a very good DC and should be a caution sign for hiring coordinators instead of HC experience with a strong experience under successful coaches. This is not a self-taught profession.

I am sure I will drink whatever Kool-Aid is offered up, but I will do so while in search of a hobby!

If a guy like Bobby Wilder is really on "the list", then I am shocked. ODU with a background of Maine is crazy. If that is what the AD and BOT mean by commitment then I am not interested. Every name on that list represents huge risk.

Frost and Campbell may be a reasonable calculated risk and perhaps the unknown four names are better. Scott Shafer was a very good DC and should be a caution sign for hiring coordinators instead of HC experience with a strong experience under successful coaches. This is not a self-taught profession.

I am sure I will drink whatever Kool-Aid is offered up, but I will do so while in search of a hobby!

Wilder has at least exhibited many of the traits that you would look for in a HC ( winning)and he has been exactly that a HC. Not the sexiest hire in the world but dude has done very well for himself at a start up program. Could do a lot worse, not my 1st choice either but you never know.

It's all a crap shoot. If the next coach sucks he can go the way of the buffalo as well. It's life in modern day college football.

Wilder has at least exhibited many of the traits that you would look for in a HC and he has been exactly that a HC. Not the s e xiest hire in the world but dude has done very well for himself at a start up program. Could do a lot worse, not my 1st choice either but you never know.
If he isn't 11th on that list of 10, we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Which coaches did he learn under, Jack Cosgrove?

Last edited:
Awesome to see all of these young coaches on the list, especially at OC at big P5 schools. That is nuts, good for them.

I prefer we stick with a proven HC and hopefully Coyle will give him a big assistant $$ pool that he can go and grab dynamo coordinators.
Your last sentence.