The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

If he isn't 11th on that list of 10, we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Which coaches did he learn under, Jack Cosgrove?

Who cares? Seems to be able to stand on his own 2 feet. What coaches did Chip Kelly learn under at UNH?

You are ALWAYS trying to catch lightning in a bottle in this business. I want a Art Briles/ Leach guy but doesn't mean it will happen, plenty of GOOD coaches out there.

Crusty said:
If a guy like Bobby Wilder is really on "the list", then I am shocked. ODU with a background of Maine is crazy. If that is what the AD and BOT mean by commitment then I am not interested. Every name on that list represents huge risk. Frost and Campbell may be a reasonable calculated risk and perhaps the unknown four names are better. Scott Shafer was a very good DC and should be a caution sign for hiring coordinators instead of HC experience with a strong experience under successful coaches. This is not a self-taught profession. I am sure I will drink whatever Kool-Aid is offered up, but I will do so while in search of a hobby!

Every HC change represents huge risk. Proven guys we would be in line to get would be guys that lost enough or got some tarnish at a previous P5 gig. I'd rather roll the dice with someone on the way up than a guy on his way down.

Who cares? Seems to be able to stand on his own 2 feet. What coaches did Chip Kelly learn under at UNH?

You are ALWAYS trying to catch lightning in a bottle in this business. I want a Art Briles/ Leach guy but doesn't mean it will happen, plenty of GOOD coaches out there.
There is always an exception that proves the rule.
This is depressing if SU football has this guy on our list. We are now a developing program hiring a guy with that skill set?

Bobby Wilder is an excellent football coach. He basically started ODU's program and turned them into the best 1-AA teams in the country. My hey made the jump a couple of years back and has them playing extremely competitive football.

He recruits the east coast really well. He's not my first choice but he's done a lot with very little at ODU.

There is always an exception that proves the rule.
This is depressing if SU football has this guy on our list. We are now a developing program hiring a guy with that skill set?

Uh yes. We are a bottom of P5 program with Wake, Kansas and Purdue and probably Illinois at this point, hate to burst your bubble. Keep talking about the good old days because nobody cares anymore. I swear people still think it's 1989. Syracuse has SUCKED And been a laughing stock for 15 years, minus a season or two

his skill set looks like he is a good HC at a lower level that wins football games who recruits Northeast down into the South. Look, I am not saying he's a savior but nobody knows. He could hit the ground running better than many others

If a guy like Bobby Wilder is really on "the list", then I am shocked. ODU with a background of Maine is crazy. If that is what the AD and BOT mean by commitment then I am not interested. Every name on that list represents huge risk.

Frost and Campbell may be a reasonable calculated risk and perhaps the unknown four names are better. Scott Shafer was a very good DC and should be a caution sign for hiring coordinators instead of HC experience with a strong experience under successful coaches. This is not a self-taught profession.

I am sure I will drink whatever Kool-Aid is offered up, but I will do so while in search of a hobby!
Wilder is way down there so we would have to really strike out big time. The top guys have been named the others are more of just name holders. Frost, Campbell, and Wells are in the top tier with Frost being one of his top guys. I'm not the only one who knows this either there are tight lips around here because of getting called out about sources in the past. Again though names will come and go with searches if Shafer is fired. I'm sure a lot more names will be brought up but these names are what people are hearing as of now.

Every HC change represents huge risk. Proven guys we would be in line to get would be guys that lost enough or got some tarnish at a previous P5 gig. I'd rather roll the dice with someone on the way up than a guy on his way down.
Like Pete Carroll or Jim Mora?

IthacaBarrel said:
Or GROB, Dan Henning, Charlie Weiss. Yes

Exactly. Old and "proven" does not equal less risk automagically

Wilder is way down there so we would have to really strike out big time. The top guys have been named the others are more of just name holders. Frost, Campbell, and Wells are in the top tier with Frost being one of his top guys. I'm not the only one who knows this either there are tight lips around here because of getting called out about sources in the past. Again though names will come and go with searches if Shafer is fired. I'm sure a lot more names will be brought up but these names are what people are hearing as of now.
Makes more sense.
Wells seems to be a USU guy and I would be surprised if he didn't simply use interest to get a raise.
Frost is interesting with his background, but has the coordinator risk. Campbell would be my preference. Hopefully, there are some stealth candidates out there that will be great.

To be clear, I am not suggesting maintaining the status quo.
No, I didn't think you were, Crusty. I guess I was just saying that what you brought up is always a challenge these days.

Uh yes. We are a bottom of P5 program with Wake, Kansas and Purdue and probably Illinois at this point, hate to burst your bubble. Keep talking about the good old days because nobody cares anymore. I swear people still think it's 1989. Syracuse has SUCKED And been a laughing stock for 15 years, minus a season or two

Agree. Mcnabb was 17 years ago!!!! We are beginning to sound like RU and their Middle Three championship talk.

Wilder has at least exhibited many of the traits that you would look for in a HC ( winning)and he has been exactly that a HC. Not the s e xiest hire in the world but dude has done very well for himself at a start up program. Could do a lot worse, not my 1st choice either but you never know.

It's all a crap shoot. If the next coach sucks he can go the way of the buffalo as well. It's life in modern day college football.

I like Wilder a lot more than Crusty does. The guy can build a program and he seems to be a great recruiter, considering the limitations of recruiting at ODU. I wouldn't put him #1 on my list or anything, but I think he is being sold short. I really want a current HC to come here. Frost has never been one, and I don't know if I like that.

Exactly. Old and "proven" does not equal less risk automagically
I am not in favor of trying to find anymore diamonds in the ruff. I want to see real depth of experience under successful coaches. If you want a guy from ODU and Maine, more power to you.

Crusty said:
I am not in favor of trying to find anymore diamonds in the ruff. I want to see real depth of experience under successful coaches. If you want a guy from ODU and Maine, more power to you.

Hey, Dick MacPherson was from Maine.

Bobby Wilder is an excellent football coach. He basically started ODU's program and turned them into the best 1-AA teams in the country. My hey made the jump a couple of years back and has them playing extremely competitive football.

He recruits the east coast really well. He's not my first choice but he's done a lot with very little at ODU.

he was a guy i was mentioning after Marrone. Definitely a program builder.

Whoever is brought in needs to either fully understand offensive line play or bring in a dynamo offensive line coach. If we're going to run an air raid or up-tempo type of offense, it all starts with our offensive line play. We have some big boys down there that need to be coached up. If they pan out, we got most of these kids for another 4 years. This is something that is often way overlooked.

Also, while I am more focused on having a potent offense than a stingy defense, I would love to see Daoust get a shot at DC. I believe in this current defensive scheme and with some secondary tweaks and blitz packages, it can be effective again. Doesn't need to be a shutdown type of D, but good enough to stop opposing drives and get the occasional turnover. Bullough is way too stubborn and you know that Daoust is licking his chops to be able to start running that defense.

More like bait.

why would those coaches need a job??

If a guy like Bobby Wilder is really on "the list", then I am shocked. ODU with a background of Maine is crazy. If that is what the AD and BOT mean by commitment then I am not interested. Every name on that list represents huge risk.

Frost and Campbell may be a reasonable calculated risk and perhaps the unknown four names are better. Scott Shafer was a very good DC and should be a caution sign for hiring coordinators instead of HC experience with a strong experience under successful coaches. This is not a self-taught profession.

I am sure I will drink whatever Kool-Aid is offered up, but I will do so while in search of a hobby!

Where do you think they should be looking for Candidates?

any coach on the list can be considered a diamond in the rough. Group of 5 HCs, assistants who have never been HCs. all risks in their own way, you are selling what Wilder has done way short

Frost, Campbell, and Wells are in the top tier with Frost being one of his top guys.
Ugh, I hope not.

When I think of Frost, I think of running offenses. Sure, he can get it done as the OC of Oregon where the talent is through the roof but will that scheme work at Syracuse? And we still play in a Dome!

Wells has been able to win at Utah State which is nice but this isn't the MWC. Utah State is currently 100th in passing and was 94th last year.