The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Gotta love this quote from a WSU beat writer:

I still can't get over this one. Classic. (FYI It ends with "Now I've seen three.")

If you click through the writer indicates that it was Rutgers fans fighting each other.

There is some really good interesting quotes......like this guy has 700,000 reasons on why Flood shouldn't get fired. He owns Flood right now as he wants his access as Flood needs him to keep getting paid.

"the long-term interests of the football program are best served by retaining Coach Flood.'' You can't make this up. I get that the booster wants stability, but shouldn't stability be with a decent coach?

The only thing they are chopping is themselves off at the knees. I fully expect the next article to be about Julie Hermann's newly exposed Football Major, cutting coke with bath salts.

This is awesome. At big time athletics programs, the booster funds the buyout of the guy who caused the dumpster fire, so the athletic department can spend money to lure a better coach. At Rutgers the booster funds the golden handcuffs of the guy who caused the dumpster fire preventing the school from firing him and moving on.

We needs to start a fund to make sure Mr. Towers never runs out of money.

Just another reminder that, if you give money, or have ever given money to the SU athletics programs, probably avoid interacting with recruits on Twitter.

Just another reminder that, if you give money, or have ever given money to the SU athletics programs, probably avoid interacting with recruits on Twitter.
Or were a student at SU...

The NCAA's definition of a "booster" is a bit different from what most people think it is.

Or were a student at SU...

The NCAA's definition of a "booster" is a bit different from what most people think it is.
NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14 (Representative of Athletics Interests) defines a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests” (“booster”) as “an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to:

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program;

(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.”

NCAA Constitution 6.4.1 also has a similar definition for boosters. Under NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14.1 (Duration of Status), “once an individual, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization is identified as such a representative, the person, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization retains that identity indefinitely”.

EDIT: Slightly updated... http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Nowhere in there does it mention being a former student.

From documents used at various schools, including this one from Oregon:

"What this definition means is representatives of athletics interests typically include boosters/donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and fans.

Once identified as a representative of athletics interest, an individual or business retains the status forever. In addition, a person can be a representative of more than one institution."

From documents used at various schools, including this one from Oregon:

"What this definition means is representatives of athletics interests typically include boosters/donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and fans.

Once identified as a representative of athletics interest, an individual or business retains the status forever. In addition, a person can be a representative of more than one institution."
That's fine. I just gave you the actual NCAA definition. It does not once mention students or regular fans. Your definition, as I read it on that link, means those are typically the types of people who make up booster clubs and so forth. And as long as you don't fall into any of these categories - which you didn't mention despite coming directly before the part you quoted - you're not technically a booster:

Participate in or be a member of an organization promoting Oregon Athletics

 Contribute financially to Oregon Athletics, the Duck Athletic Fund, individual athletic programs or any other UO athletics or sport-specific booster organizations

•  Assist in the recruitment of prospects

•  Provide NCAA permissible benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their
families

 Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program

If you have or have ever had season tickets you are also considered a booster.

There is a statement inside your ticket book that tells you that by buying season tickets that you are now considered a booster for Syracuse University.

If you have or have ever had season tickets you are also considered a booster.

There is a statement inside your ticket book that tells you that by buying season tickets that you are now considered a booster for Syracuse University.
I've never had season tickets, and never donated, so I guess I'm good.

:D
th

What does a picture of Caitlyn Jenner have to do with Rutgers?

I've never had season tickets, and never donated, so I guess I'm good.

How does the NCAA feel about someone who hypothetically had over 19,800 posts on a Syracuse Athletics Fan Site? And that hypothetically published a site that directly promotes said University's Athletic programs? Would that enter grey area if they were trying to determine if someone is a booster or would they be considered media?

Genuinely curious.

Last edited:
How does the NCAA feel about someone who hypothetically had over 19,800 posts on a Syracuse Athletics Fan Site? And that hypothetically published a site that directly promotes said University's Athletic programs? Would that enter grey area if they were trying to determine if someone is a booster or would they be considered media?

Genuinely curious.
It's not a booster and it's not media. It's a fan with a blog who talks about the team he roots for.

Genuinely curious.
I think if it was truly an issue someone brighter than you would have brought it up a while ago.

I think 30 years ago the equivalent would have been a violation but these days the NCAA realizes it's herding cats to try and control superfans, bloggers and social media jockeys.

Dumpster Fire To Watch: Rutgers (15). At least last week’s kindling to the fire wasn’t self-inflicted: star defensive tackle Darius Hamilton was lost for the season last week due to a knee injury. But then came this gem from NJ.com on Monday night. The fact that Kyle Flood tried to hire a booster for a “Director of Indoctrination” position the same week in which the school reported that the guy committed NCAA violations is simply the latest reason why Rutgers is Rutgers. Never change, SUNJ. Never change.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-yard-dash-054011991-ncaaf.html

Zing.