The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 100 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

An observation from the Georgia Tech board (which BTW has one of the best discussion threads on the buisness of college sports) - The embarrassment the B1G is currently experiencing because of the "unpleasantness" in New Brunswick "is what happens when you want New York, and you get New Jersey."
http://on.cc.com/1KuzwPb

Delany, in his first public comments on Rutgers since the university began investigating coach Kyle Flood in August, told the Tribune that the Big Ten does not regret adding Rutgers. As Delany noted, the Rutgers/Maryland expansion fulfilled a "strategic objective" to penetrate several giant East Coast markets.

"It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, but it's somewhat irrelevant," Delany said. "I can't name an institution during my (26-year) tenure that has not had a serious personnel or ethical issue at one point. These are high-profile situations with lots of exposure. I wish we never had any of it at our schools, but I'm realistic."

Delany said that since he became commissioner in 1989, he has worked with dozens of different athletic directors, football and basketball coaches.

"What doesn't change is the nature of the school, its aspirations and its geography," he said. "Rutgers is not in Hawaii; it's in the New Jersey/New York corridor. It's a great research institution, home to many scholars, and has had graduation rates for athletics at or near the top for a decade. We hope the situation improves, but we are glad that Rutgers is in the Big Ten."

tl;dr: money, money, money, money.

Delany, in his first public comments on Rutgers since the university began investigating coach Kyle Flood in August:

"What doesn't change is BLAH BLAH BLAH [GREED] geography [MONEY, MONEY, MONEY]," he said. "Rutgers is BLAH in BLAH New York corridor [CHA-CHING $$$$$]. BLAH, BLAH BLAH, BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Translated for the media impaired.

Good find, Whitey; sad state of affairs: the B1G has no dignity so long as the money keeps rolling in.

The B1G could have added Syracuse and ended up with more exposure in the "NY corridor" than Rutgers, but they were left with the table scraps when we joined the ACC.

Timing is everything.

Wasn't TGD keeping options open until Syracuse got an invite? That is what I understood, but I may be wrong. Regardless, making plays for UVA, UNC, GATech, FSU while skipping the biggest population state in the northeast, which happens to be twice the size of Jersey, with popularity in Hoops enough to get NYC on the slate seems like one big incidence of ignorance. Not that I want out of the ACC, but it shows how people played the waiting game and missed out on the real prize.

Wasn't TGD keeping options open until Syracuse got an invite? That is what I understood, but I may be wrong. Regardless, making plays for UVA, UNC, GATech, FSU while skipping the biggest population state in the northeast, which happens to be twice the size of Jersey, with popularity in Hoops enough to get NYC on the slate seems like one big incidence of ignorance. Not that I want out of the ACC, but it shows how people played the waiting game and missed out on the real prize.

I'm sure that had the B1G invited us before the ACC did that we would have jumped. I'm sure everyone at SU recognized that the ACC was a much better fit for a host of reasons, but absent an offer from the ACC the B1G would have been a way out of the revenue-challenged Big East.

Not to rehash conference realignment, but I've long contended that the powers that be in these conferences were making reactive, conservative decisions when some thought there was a Machiavellian brilliance at play.

If the the B1G really wanted to go big then after inviting Nebraska they should have invited SU, BC, Rutgers, Maryland and UConn and locked down the northeast entirely. Instead they let the ACC get the jump with SU and Pitt (and obtaining ND as a partial member) and left the northeast to be "disputed territory" for years to come. They had the foothold with Penn State and knew Maryland was ready to leave the ACC, but they half-assed it with Rutgers and didn't seal up the border.

I'm sure that had the B1G invited us before the ACC did that we would have jumped. I'm sure everyone at SU recognized that the ACC was a much better fit for a host of reasons, but absent an offer from the ACC the B1G would have been a way out of the revenue-challenged Big East.

Not to rehash conference realignment, but I've long contended that the powers that be in these conferences were making reactive, conservative decisions when some thought there was a Machiavellian brilliance at play.

If the the B1G really wanted to go big then after inviting Nebraska they should have invited SU, BC, Rutgers, Maryland and UConn and locked down the northeast entirely. Instead they let the ACC get the jump with SU and Pitt (and obtaining ND as a partial member) and left the northeast to be "disputed territory" for years to come. They had the foothold with Penn State and knew Maryland was ready to leave the ACC, but they half-assed it with Rutgers and didn't seal up the border.
Don't think the B1G would have gone to 17.

longtimefan said:
Don't think the B1G would have gone to 17.

I was thinking 16. Did I add wrong? Oops.

Still think the reports out of Indianapolis back in 2010 that had the potential expansion then of Nebraska, ND, Maryland, Rutgers, and Syracuse was the way to go IF the B1G could get ND to bite. ND didn't bite. So they stopped at Nebraska. When they started talking about expansion again after Pitt and SU had accepted ACC invites, I think all of the UNC, UVa, GT stuff at that time was more to get Maryland to jump than anything else.

But I've been known to be wrong before.

We are in a far more stable conference now, but one that has some similar issues as the Big East in terms of football perception and a divide in terms of identity (although the divide in identity isn't as striking as it was in the BE). Still I think these issues have a far better chance of being overcome than the issues the Big East had.

Cheers,
Neil

I was talking to a colleague at work today who is a Rutgers alum. When he used the term "dumpster fire" to describe his alma mater and its football team, I almost died. It seems that it's the name that crosses all boundaries. I half expect the Pope to reference it while on his North American tour.

GameDay just piled on, naming todays Kansas-Rutgirls game as the "worst out-of-conference P5 game".

Criminal activity, academic fraud and booster violations. Sounds like someone is failing to monitor.
:D
th