The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 193 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

long winded???? i appreciate your patience and education to myself. it all reminds me of the phrase voodoo economics in practice at rutgers. i hope they get an "independent audit" that clarifies what they have done. that would give the taxpayers some ammunition to question the legislature re accounting practices, and funding. up to now the taxpayer in nj has had very little say in the budget, and i was witness to that. early on when i lived there, there was an expected rise in funding as they were making the transition to d1, and needed to build facilities. that was rewarded with some limited success early on with schiano.
that has transitioned now to the promise of the big 10. it remind me of an investment gone bad. you are in to deep too deep do you cut your losses and run or do you wait it out. they will wait it out. its to big a gamble to run and there is some assurance that there will be funds.
i also believe that they are counting on their membership to bring greater rewards other than sports to cover the expenditures. such as higher profile, better quality students and academic standing,consortium research money,and god knows what else that big 10 money brings.

I did not know about their stepping up to D1 issues, I am you get than you so I lack your knowledge - and experience - of these problems. You bring up a strong question in whether good money should follow bad regarding an investment. If they have assurances that the payoff is there or that the state will bail them out, then maybe it is worth the investment.

I fully agree an audit is due and should be made public. I still cannot see where they will truly run in the black within the next several decades.

The fact that NJ residents have little say in the State spending is scary. Glad I don't live there.

Top NJ recruit on why he's NOT picking Buttgers

"Clement went on to explain why he won't be staying home, despite having an affinity for his hometown Scarlet Knights.

"I just feel like they play in a hard conference. I grew up watching Big Ten. The Big Ten is what I've loved since I was a little kid. Ohio State was my favorite school. So for me to go to Rutgers and face Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State week-in, week-out," he said. "That's a tough schedule. And I feel like their players are not at that peak yet to compete with them. Especially for me playing running back, I feel like I'm gonna need an o-line I can trust in to really block. I'm not saying that they cant do that, but going to games and seeing what I saw, it would've been a tough decision."

Top N.J. RB Iverson Clement to make his commitment Thursday at 7

"Clement went on to explain why he won't be staying home, despite having an affinity for his hometown Scarlet Knights.

"I just feel like they play in a hard conference. I grew up watching Big Ten. The Big Ten is what I've loved since I was a little kid. Ohio State was my favorite school. So for me to go to Rutgers and face Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State week-in, week-out," he said. "That's a tough schedule. And I feel like their players are not at that peak yet to compete with them. Especially for me playing running back, I feel like I'm gonna need an o-line I can trust in to really block. I'm not saying that they cant do that, but going to games and seeing what I saw, it would've been a tough decision."

Seems liike a smart kid.

Translation: "I want to live through my college career and have a shot at the NFL. I don't want to be a tackling dummy for the big boys' D every Saturday, assuming I make through the last game."

As a NJ taxpayer and an educator, it sickens me to know that the state throws good money after bad at Rutgers athletics but they can't find the money to pay into the pension fund which they are legally mandated to do. Plus, Rutgers just sucks.
I too pay taxes to the Garden State, and I completely agree with your comment on Rutgers. Our public pension plans are a disgrace, and our roads have fallen apart. As I drive around the state with my teeth chattering from all the potholes, when I do occasionally see one of those goofy R's on the back of a car, it truly angers me.

I did not know about their stepping up to D1 issues, I am you get than you so I lack your knowledge - and experience - of these problems. You bring up a strong question in whether good money should follow bad regarding an investment. If they have assurances that the payoff is there or that the state will bail them out, then maybe it is worth the investment.

I fully agree an audit is due and should be made public. I still cannot see where they will truly run in the black within the next several decades.

The fact that NJ residents have little say in the State spending is scary. Glad I don't live there.
IMO Rutgers is nothing more that a push pin to the Big 10 which covers the greater NY metropolitan area. You give us wins and blue chip recruits, and we'll give you some money and take you to the wood shed several times a year.

I too pay taxes to the Garden State, and I completely agree with your comment on Rutgers. Our public pension plans are a disgrace, and our roads have fallen apart. As I drive around the state with my teeth chattering from all the potholes, when I do occasionally see one of those goofy R's on the back of a car, it truly angers me.
i lived in nj and now in pa. if you want bad roads, endless road construction and the worst drivers in the world---come to pennsylvania!!!
our taxes are cheaper though, and they do not tax your pensions.

i lived in nj and now in pa. if you want bad roads, endless road construction and the worst drivers in the world---come to pennsylvania!!!
our taxes are cheaper though, and they do not tax your pensions.
And as soon as you cross into Maryland the ride suddenly becomes much smoother.

Don't know what part of PA you reside in but down my way 81 has the shortest entrance ramps ever.

And as soon as you cross into Maryland the ride suddenly becomes much smoother.

Don't know what part of PA you reside in but down my way 81 has the shortest entrance ramps ever.
bethlehem--i drive up to syracuse alot. scranton has been under construction for 20 yrs!

bethlehem--i drive up to syracuse alot. scranton has been under construction for 20 yrs!
We're about 30 min from the MD border. Sucks here too lol. How far of a drive is that to Syracuse?

We're about 30 min from the MD border. Sucks here too lol. How far of a drive is that to Syracuse?
3 and half hours not bad at all. if i take the northeast tpk extension its 4 hours but i by pass scanton. where in pa r u????

3 and half hours not bad at all. if i take the northeast tpk extension its 4 hours but i by pass scanton. where in pa r u????
Shippensburg. About 10-15 from Chambersburg if that's a better reference point. I think it's about a 5ish hour drive for us but we take a bus up when we go so it ends up being 6 with all the stops.

I read over there that Z Allen may have torn his ACL at practice. Do they even have a backup QB now? I think 3 or 4 transferred or got kicked off in the offseason.

Depth at quarterback position
Rutgers was already dangerously thin at the quarterback position after the recent dismissal of sophomore Tylin Oden. Now, according to sources, the status of Zach Allen is uncertain due to a potential serious knee injury during Saturday's practice (which was closed to the media). While Rutgers is expected to address the status of his backup quarterback Tuesday, an injury that sidelines Allen long-term would worsen the Scarlet Knights' depth at quarterback.

While Gio Rescigno has drawn consistent praise from Ash for his play throughout the spring, the fourth-year junior will need to fend off incoming freshman Johnathan Lewis for the starting spot this summer.

Rob Nittolo, a graduate transfer out of Southern Connecticut, figured to compete with fellow walk-on Troy Anthony and Allen for the No. 3 spot in training camp.

The bottom line? If Allen is out long-term, Rutgers' QB depth will include a five-game starter who completed less than 53 percent of his passes while averaging 127 passing yards-per-game and throwing as many TDs as INTs last season; an unproven true freshman; and a pair of walk-ons who transferred to Rutgers from lower-division schools.

Depth at quarterback position
Rutgers was already dangerously thin at the quarterback position after the recent dismissal of sophomore Tylin Oden. Now, according to sources, the status of Zach Allen is uncertain due to a potential serious knee injury during Saturday's practice (which was closed to the media). While Rutgers is expected to address the status of his backup quarterback Tuesday, an injury that sidelines Allen long-term would worsen the Scarlet Knights' depth at quarterback.

While Gio Rescigno has drawn consistent praise from Ash for his play throughout the spring, the fourth-year junior will need to fend off incoming freshman Johnathan Lewis for the starting spot this summer.

Rob Nittolo, a graduate transfer out of Southern Connecticut, figured to compete with fellow walk-on Troy Anthony and Allen for the No. 3 spot in training camp.

The bottom line? If Allen is out long-term, Rutgers' QB depth will include a five-game starter who completed less than 53 percent of his passes while averaging 127 passing yards-per-game and throwing as many TDs as INTs last season; an unproven true freshman; and a pair of walk-ons who transferred to Rutgers from lower-division schools.

Regardless of the Allen situation, those guys are nuts to think they will win 6 games with that stable of QBs. Gus Edwards may get 50 touches a game.

Regardless of the Allen situation, those guys are nuts to think they will win 6 games with that stable of QBs. Gus Edwards may get 50 touches a game.
6 games will be won for sure on that field by New Jersey teams, but they will be high school teams during the state playoffs.

Shippensburg. About 10-15 from Chambersburg if that's a better reference point. I think it's about a 5ish hour drive for us but we take a bus up when we go so it ends up being 6 with all the stops.
i love that area

Come from NJ, I go right by you. 78-33-80-380-81
exactly my route usually
Come from NJ, I go right by you. 78-33-80-380-81
where in jersey are u??? i lived in warren county,washington twp for many years. lived in milltown( near east brunswick)while in grad school at rutgers. my wife is from south river. route 18 was always a nightmare