The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 199 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Born and raised in NJ and moved to Montana in the early 90's. I could go a whole winter in Montana wearing just a heavy hoodie. If I visit NJ in the winter now? I'm freezing when its in the 40's. Definitely right on the wet, humid winters.
I had Reserve duty in Newport, RI, one time. One of the officers with me was on the police force in Anchorage, Alaska. It was pretty obvious he was originally from Boston. He said he felt colder in Boston during the winter than he did in Anchorage. He said, "Make no mistake about it, it's cold in Anchorage; it's 10 below zero outside. But I felt it much more in Boston."

So I was listening to the Michael Kay show today, and Michael was ranting about how wrong he feels it is especially at public universities that a coach is typically the highest paid employee not just in the school, but also the highest paid state employee. It started as a rant about Michigan and Harbaugh. UM claims the Italy trip cost $900,000. Michael complained that money could have been used to fix the water in Flint. Don countered saying many feel that successful sports programs are an economic and emotional boost. At this point it was pointed out that Ash is the highest paid employee of the state of NJ, and everyone said "so much for that point!"

So I was listening to the Michael Kay show today, and Michael was ranting about how wrong he feels it is especially at public universities that a coach is typically the highest paid employee not just in the school, but also the highest paid state employee. It started as a rant about Michigan and Harbaugh. UM claims the Italy trip cost $900,000. Michael complained that money could have been used to fix the water in Flint. Don countered saying many feel that successful sports programs are an economic and emotional boost. At this point it was pointed out that Ash is the highest paid employee of the state of NJ, and everyone said "so much for that point!"

That $800K was paid by a booster, not the school, so his point was moot to begin with. Plus, that argument is nothing but a false equivalency.

That $800K was paid by a booster, not the school, so his point was moot to begin with. Plus, that argument is nothing but a false equivalency.
I would hope that a booster who has the resources to finance a trip for the football team would also contribute handsomely to academic programs at Ann Arbor. If not, shame on him or her.

This was mentioned on air too, and longtimefan covered the response. His bigger picture argument was more pointed at coaches' salaries. Donors and boosters don't make these guys the highest paid state employees. That is still a measure of state expenditures. Saban gets $9 million a year from the Alabama taxpayers. Harbaugh gets what, $8 million? The governor of most states only make in the $150,000 range. I think they said the highest paid state employee in 38 of the 50 states is a football or men's basketball coach. Actually NY isn't one of them.
I'm not sure I have a huge issue with it, but it does feel off, and as a NJ taxpayer I am less happy thinking about Ash.

This was mentioned on air too, and longtimefan covered the response. His bigger picture argument was more pointed at coaches' salaries. Donors and boosters don't make these guys the highest paid state employees. That is still a measure of state expenditures. Saban gets $9 million a year from the Alabama taxpayers. Harbaugh gets what, $8 million? The governor of most states only make in the $150,000 range. I think they said the highest paid state employee in 38 of the 50 states is a football or men's basketball coach. Actually NY isn't one of them.
I'm not sure I have a huge issue with it, but it does feel off, and as a NJ taxpayer I am less happy thinking about Ash.

Keep in mind that many of these salaries are paid by booster clubs or sporting contracts. Even SU coach's salaries are paid partially by the contract they have with the sports marketing company (sorry, I forgot their name). There's at least one article out there that FSU's coach's salaries are all paid by boosters.

You're right, TV money does. Here is an item on Les Miles' salary while he was at LSU. He got $300,000 from the state of Louisiana. The rest of his salary came from the athletic department's SEC TV money. Here is an item on Saban. It says his salary is $245, 000, I'm willing to bet the only part of his price tag paid by the taxpayers of Alabama, and a "talent fee" of $6.48 MM, that's paid by the athletic department. IIRC, Bronco Mendenhall (and Daisy Fuente at VPI) is paid $100,000 from state money and the rest of the salary is from the athletic department funds. The coaches are paid a lot. They are not necessarily the highest paid state employees as much as they are the highest compensated state employees when all the non-state sources are added in to their state salary.

You're right, TV money does. Here is an item on Les Miles' salary while he was at LSU. He got $300,000 from the state of Louisiana. The rest of his salary came from the athletic department's SEC TV money. Here is an item on Saban. It says his salary is $245, 000, I'm willing to bet the only part of his price tag paid by the taxpayers of Alabama, and a "talent fee" of $6.48 MM, that's paid by the athletic department. IIRC, Bronco Mendenhall (and Daisy Fuente at VPI) is paid $100,000 from state money and the rest of the salary is from the athletic department funds. The coaches are paid a lot. They are not necessarily the highest paid state employees as much as they are the highest compensated state employees when all the non-state sources are added in to their state salary.
This really isn't my fight, but even $250,000-$300,000 is the highest paid. As for the rest being made up by athletic department, well that budget is created to cover these salaries and that too is supplemented by taxpayer money. Yes I understand there are plenty of other funding streams, but anything takes their salary on the state bill higher, and is money that at a minimum could instead have been used for a non-revenue sport scholarship. Just thoughts.

This really isn't my fight, but even $250,000-$300,000 is the highest paid. As for the rest being made up by athletic department, well that budget is created to cover these salaries and that too is supplemented by taxpayer money. Yes I understand there are plenty of other funding streams, but anything takes their salary on the state bill higher, and is money that at a minimum could instead have been used for a non-revenue sport scholarship. Just thoughts.

I agree with the overall point that coaches are way overpaid, but a non-revenue sport scholarship is not bringing in tens of millions of dollars in revenue to the university like the football program is. It's not as if the state of Louisiana is just throwing money out the door with no return when they are paying these salaries.

I agree with the overall point that coaches are way overpaid, but a non-revenue sport scholarship is not bringing in tens of millions of dollars in revenue to the university like the football program is. It's not as if the state of Louisiana is just throwing money out the door with no return when they are paying these salaries.
Understood and agreed. Could Saban or others not survive with $100,000 less from the state? Let the state put that to a full or two partials in a women's sport. Wouldn't that even help with Title IX? That's not even considering an academic or financial need scholarship, or the state appropriating that money to a study to say, clean drinking water in Flint, or address flooding in Alabama.

Daisy Fuente at VPI.

I see what you did there. And I like it.

800px-Daisy_Fuentes_2013_Alma_Awards.jpg

That's our standard derogatory nickname for him.:p
We've been using it here for eons as well. At a local high school graduation the program listed destinations for graduating seniors. The list included both VA Tech & VPI. ;)

As to bashing Rutgirls... VPI is a much better place for sports (other than fencing?) than NJS.

I would hope that a booster who has the resources to finance a trip for the football team would also contribute handsomely to academic programs at Ann Arbor. If not, shame on him or her.

Shame on you for worrying what someone else donates their money to.

Shame on you for worrying what someone else donates their money to.
We all have the right to do what is legal. Doesn't defend us from being criticized for doing what is morally questionable.

We all have the right to do what is legal. Doesn't defend us from being criticized for doing what is morally questionable.
I would argue that what I learned through sports and being part of a team was every bit as valuable as what I learned in a classroom.

I wouldn't have a single morality issue with donating money to a sports trip vs a new junk white board for a comm 103 class.

I think both have merits equally worthy of donating to.

I would argue that what I learned through sports and being part of a team was every bit as valuable as what I learned in a classroom.

I wouldn't have a single morality issue with donating money to a sports trip vs a new junk white board for a comm 103 class.

I think both have merits equally worthy of donating to.
Certainly a debatable point.

But, the last I looked, the primary mission of an institution of higher education is. . .education.

Certainly a debatable point.

But, the last I looked, the primary mission of an institution of higher education is. . .education.

Define "Education".

Much of what some people "study" in college is more like "entertainment".