The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 197 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

But but no one one wants to go to the frozen tundra of Syracuse.

Every time I hear that "Frozen Tundra" phrase, I think of what a dump New Brunswick has always been. Location is the last thing I'd want to brag about if I were a Rutgers fan.

New Jersey's biggest export has always been college students who flee the State in part to get away from the decay of the cities like New Brunswick.

Every time I hear that "Frozen Tundra" phrase, I think of what a dump New Brunswick has always been. Location is the last thing I'd want to brag about if I were a Rutgers fan.

New Jersey's biggest export has always been college students who flee the State in part to get away from the decay of the cities like New Brunswick.
when i was in grad school there it was a total dump----not so much anymore. thanks to j&j the city has done an excellent job of renovation, with several upscale renovations (and some in progress) and attractive areas. they are transforming the new brunswick campus as well. it was a real dump for many years.
i take the train from there when i go to see us play at the garden.
i do resent them trashing the city of syracuse. we have issues but we have transformed downtown as well. they know very little about syracuse and upstate ny., and display their ignorance of same

when i was in grad school there it was a total dump----not so much anymore. thanks to j&j the city has done an excellent job of renovation, with several upscale renovations (and some in progress) and attractive areas. they are transforming the new brunswick campus as well. it was a real dump for many years.
i take the train from there when i go to see us play at the garden.
i do resent them trashing the city of syracuse. we have issues but we have transformed downtown as well. they know very little about syracuse and upstate ny., and display their ignorance of same

A defense of "New Brunswick is not as bad as it used to be" isn't very inspiring.

And it's just not the crime and decay that make that part of New Jersey an awful place to live and to go to school. It's the attitudes and behavior of the people. I grew up in Princeton, which was an oasis between NB and Trenton and when I go back there I am stunned by the aggressiveness and rudeness of the drivers and the people. Compared to North Jersey, DC is actually a friendly place populated by polite people. (that's only in comparison to NJ)

The image I have in my head of the NB area is of unrelenting traffic, decaying housing stock. strip malls, and chemical plants making the air barely breathable.

And the climate stinks. It's beastly hot and humid in the Summer and damp, cold and rainy in the Winter. Syracuse is colder and snowier, but the difference is that the Syracuse winter starts a few weeks sooner and ends a few weeks later. There's more snow in Syracuse, but when you are a college student and don't drive, who cares? Summers in CNY are far superior to the sweltering heat and humidity of NJ.

When I used to travel from NJ to Syracuse, I can remember how much more pleasant it was than NJ. The air seemed cleaner, the surroundings prettier, and the traffic wasn't even an issue.

I used to play golf at uncrowded Green Lakes park for a couple of dollars as a student. Try doing that in Central NJ.

Don't try to sell New Brunswick to me as being better than just about anyplace in the US. I'll bet if you took a poll of people in Middlesex County on how many of them would like to leave if they could make a living elsewhere, you would get a very large percentage of them wanting out.

A defense of "New Brunswick is not as bad as it used to be" isn't very inspiring.

And it's just not the crime and decay that make that part of New Jersey an awful place to live and to go to school. It's the attitudes and behavior of the people. I grew up in Princeton, which was an oasis between NB and Trenton and when I go back there I am stunned by the aggressiveness and rudeness of the drivers and the people. Compared to North Jersey, DC is actually a friendly place populated by polite people. (that's only in comparison to NJ)

The image I have in my head of the NB area is of unrelenting traffic, decaying housing stock. strip malls, and chemical plants making the air barely breathable.

And the climate stinks. It's beastly hot and humid in the Summer and damp, cold and rainy in the Winter. Syracuse is colder and snowier, but the difference is that the Syracuse winter starts a few weeks sooner and ends a few weeks later. There's more snow in Syracuse, but when you are a college student and don't drive, who cares? Summers in CNY are far superior to the sweltering heat and humidity of NJ.

When I used to travel from NJ to Syracuse, I can remember how much more pleasant it was than NJ. The air seemed cleaner, the surroundings prettier, and the traffic wasn't even an issue.

I used to play golf at uncrowded Green Lakes park for a couple of dollars as a student. Try doing that in Central NJ.

Don't try to sell New Brunswick to me as being better than just about anyplace in the US. I'll bet if you took a poll of people in Middles e x County on how many of them would like to leave if they could make a living elsewhere, you would get a very large percentage of them wanting out.

I work and live in that county. I'd move back to Cuse in a second if it was a possibility. Unfortunately, it's not. Therefore, I'm much more appreciative of it when I'm up. I took my mom for dinner at Hullar's when I was up last weekend and it cost $23. 23 freaking dollars! Try finding that in NJ!

I can stand the Rutgers bashing, and even the New Brunswick bashing, but you guys are casting a pretty big net here. A DC guy hating on NJ for sweltering humid summers? Telling college students they shouldn't be bothered by 4' of snow because the summers are beautiful, when they're not there? You are correct, that you won't easily find cheap golf, or dinner dining in NJ. Green Lakes is not on par with many of the "expensive" courses in NJ and the of the top ten public courses in "upstate NY" 3 are relatively new and at Turning Stone, none for less than $150 a round. It ranks two ahead of the best NJ public course. As for private, the best course in the country is in NJ. You guys are sounding a little silly. Tipp has it right, there are a lot of fair comparisons and in reality similarities. It stops at the two schools.

I can stand the Rutgers bashing, and even the New Brunswick bashing, but you guys are casting a pretty big net here. A DC guy hating on NJ for sweltering humid summers? Telling college students they shouldn't be bothered by 4' of snow because the summers are beautiful, when they're not there? You are correct, that you won't easily find cheap golf, or dinner dining in NJ. Green Lakes is not on par with many of the "expensive" courses in NJ and the of the top ten public courses in "upstate NY" 3 are relatively new and at Turning Stone, none for less than $150 a round. It ranks two ahead of the best NJ public course. As for private, the best course in the country is in NJ. You guys are sounding a little silly. Tipp has it right, there are a lot of fair comparisons and in reality similarities. It stops at the two schools.

If Rutgers was Stanford or UCLA, I could appreciate their point about "Frozen Tundra". But they are not. The school is, from my perspective, is located in one of the least desirable places to live in the US.

The comparison was between New Brunswick and Syracuse summers. DC has nothing to do with it. And football players frequently go to Summer school so they do get to enjoy the Summers. And football practice starts before school does.

The best golf course in America might be in NJ, but no college student is ever going to play there. And you can find plenty of places to play golf in Upstate NY that a college student can actually afford.

NYC is close, as Schiano pointed out to kids from Florida, but he didn't tell them there is nothing there they can afford to do there. They might be able to wander around looking how people with a lot of money spend it.

When it comes to "Quality of Life" and overall environment (traffic, climate, dirt, crime, etc) Central and North Jersey have got to be right at the bottom.

So, if they want to insult SU, I'd recommend staying away from the climate or the surroundings (or the price because these kids are on scholarship).

My experience growing up in NJ was that no one actually wanted to go to Rutgers. And everyone who did, price was a major, major consideration.

There's no pride to the place. That's what Mulcahy wanted to do with a better sports program. He wanted to make RU a place that New Jersey people wanted to go to. It was a noble idea but so far it hasn't produced the desired result.

Said it before and will say it again, he is their GROB. And I love it. Holy crap did we dodge a bullet by not hiring Ash.

Therein lies the great mystery.

How could a school with all the advantages RU has be so bad in so many sports for so long?

It's really amazing to me. You would think the law of averages or the cyclical nature of sports would kick in there sometime.

I think its something in the DNA of the place.

If Rutgers was Stanford or UCLA, I could appreciate their point about "Frozen Tundra". But they are not. The school is, from my perspective, is located in one of the least desirable places to live in the US.

The comparison was between New Brunswick and Syracuse summers. DC has nothing to do with it. And football players frequently go to Summer school so they do get to enjoy the Summers. And football practice starts before school does.

The best golf course in America might be in NJ, but no college student is ever going to play there. And you can find plenty of places to play golf in Upstate NY that a college student can actually afford.

NYC is close, as Schiano pointed out to kids from Florida, but he didn't tell them there is nothing there they can afford to do there. They might be able to wander around looking how people with a lot of money spend it.

When it comes to "Quality of Life" and overall environment (traffic, climate, dirt, crime, etc) Central and North Jersey have got to be right at the bottom.

So, if they want to insult SU, I'd recommend staying away from the climate or the surroundings (or the price because these kids are on scholarship).

My experience growing up in NJ was that no one actually wanted to go to Rutgers. And everyone who did, price was a major, major consideration.

There's no pride to the place. That's what Mulcahy wanted to do with a better sports program. He wanted to make RU a place that New Jersey people wanted to go to. It was a noble idea but so far it hasn't produced the desired result.

I played high school football in nj, I always remember our Hs football coach took a survey on our team, and asked if we could play college football at any d 1 school, where would it be? I said Michigan or Syracuse, since I was a fan of both growing up, other people said Michigan, Penn St, Syracuse, Miami, Usc, Ohio st, not one kid said Rutgers.

They crack me up when they mention the weather. These kid spend 4 months a year for 4 years of their life in the cold. So what. Do Maryland fans focus on how much colder it is in NJ?

They crack me up when they mention the weather. These kid spend 4 months a year for 4 years of their life in the cold. So what. Do Maryland fans focus on how much colder it is in NJ?

It cracks me up because our winter weather is no different than their entire conference. Cold? Stop it, I spent a few winters in Michigan, I'm lost on what the difference is between an upstate winter and a Michigan winter.

As I said, talk about Rutgers and football recruiting all you want, but you brought up cost of housing and golf. They have a course on campus. You brought up D.C. as a comparison. Are you talking about Maryland or Georgetown recruiting now? You mentioned bad drivers. Is that really the concern of a college athlete? Especially when most of their targets are from NJ? What does Trenton have to do with Rutgers football recruiting? I get that you didn't like NJ, and some of your reasons may be valid, but don't use this thread to air your grievances with growing up or living in NJ. Keep it relevant. Summer is hot, winter is cold. Go wander around the south side of Syracuse at night. Isn't that where newly drafted local star Will Allen was robbed? I've never had a knife pulled on me in NJ, but I did walking adjacent to Thornden Park from an after hours party. I saw my roommate (a recognizable athlete) get jumped in front of McDonald's as we left Darwin's. Let's not get into the local recruit who stabbed his own teammates.
Stick to football talk.

I didn't say majority, I said sizable... no need to flip out, but, there were a number who heralded him as a "defensive genius" with blue blood roots.

I would love to see an honest poll of Ash supporters. I can't imagine it being more than a dozen.