The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 217 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

It's nice to see that we were right in being apoplectic when Ash was rumored to be leading to replace Shafer.

Yep. I have visions of their message boards roasting us for stealing him from us. Bah!

Losing close games that are toss ups becuase you have a frosh starting. If Rutgers gets 4 wins, i think a majority of their fan base would be ok with that. It shows progress, and based on their roster, is probably the best case scenario for Ash. If Ash plays the Frosh, and they lose their three winnable games vs Purdure and Illinois and whatever other b10 bottom feeder by scores of like 13-12 or 13-10 or 21-17 etc, then the pitchforks come out becuase winning 2 games or less would be a disaster.

So yes, playing Lewis may be better for the "future", it is in not so certain to be better for Ash's future.

Fan base? Fan base?

They just lost 11 straight games and in many of them they were humiliated.

Anybody that was going to jump ship would have done so.

Their remaining fan base is filled with die-hard optimists and people that have no other place to go on Saturdays.

Pitchforks? They just lost 11 straight and your suggesting that there is yet another level of Hell available that will somehow cause the remaining, long-suffering to rise up.

After suffering for so long, these people are looking for any kind of improvement. But they have demonstrated to me that they will hang onto this over-turned lifeboat forever regardless of sharks, oil spills, hurricanes and lack of water.

I almost get the feeling that they would enjoy getting worse on the theory that the eventual awakening of "The Giant" is going to be sooo much sweeter.

Last edited:
After suffering for so long, these people are looking for any kind of improvement. But they have demonstrated to me that they will hang onto this over-turned lifeboat forever regardless of sharks, oil spills, hurricanes and lack of water.

No offense Townie, but you just described everyone on this board the past i dunno, 20 years?

Simply delusional..

NraYxqEsiU0Wk.gif

They have a thread over there proclaiming a bowl game if they play their freshmen. oh, the optimism.

You haven't heard Jonathon Lewis is Lamar Jackson, Mike Vick, and Joe Montana rolled in to one, he must be he carved up Morgan st.

They have a thread over there proclaiming a bowl game if they play their freshmen. oh, the optimism.

It's a matter of degree.

I don't consider only football when I think about SU sports. I am just as interested in basketball and lacrosse. So while football has had plenty of problems, there are offsets as we shift into other season.

But for Rutgers fans it's usually moving from train wreck to train wreck.

It's gotta wear them down.

You haven't heard Jonathon Lewis is Lamar Jackson, Mike Vick, and Joe Montana rolled in to one, he must be he carved up Morgan st.
And Syracuse fans don't do the same thing? I remember a certain RB named Robert Washington who was gonna get #44 the day he committed...

tep624All American

On paper, yep. In terms of biggest OVERALL prospect, in terms of 1) where the program is, and 2) the potential impact...has to be Tim Green, right?
Based on the timing and the impact he could have on recruiting, 44 thing...definitely has the potential to be as big as Tim Green. Maybe even bigger if he wears the 44 and wins a Heisman or something like that.

Now before anyone goes jumping off the deep end...I'm talking about potential, not expecting that everything I wrote above happens. We're a long way between there and here.

And Syracuse fans don't do the same thing? I remember a certain RB named Robert Washington who was gonna get #44 the day he committed...

tep624All American

On paper, yep. In terms of biggest OVERALL prospect, in terms of 1) where the program is, and 2) the potential impact...has to be Tim Green, right?
Based on the timing and the impact he could have on recruiting, 44 thing...definitely has the potential to be as big as Tim Green. Maybe even bigger if he wears the 44 and wins a Heisman or something like that.

Now before anyone goes jumping off the deep end...I'm talking about potential, not expecting that everything I wrote above happens. We're a long way between there and here.

Real question: Do you guys believe in Ash? What's his buyout situation look like? I'd hate to waste a decent QB prospect.

Real question: Do you guys believe in Ash? What's his buyout situation look like? I'd hate to waste a decent QB prospect.
I know not directed at me but Ash is a deer in headlights. Terrible hire. They should have brought back Schiano or kept Flood over Ash.

tep624All American

I don't I have been taking a wait and see approach with this program for like the past 12 years, I think most on this board feel the same way. Most Rutgers fans are beyond delusional, I have never seen fans of a program that has won so little talk so much.

I don't I have been taking a wait and see approach with this program for like the past 12 years, I think most on this board feel the same way. Most Rutgers fans are beyond delusional, I have never seen fans of a program that has won so little talk so much.

That big Morgan State victory will be enough to keep them going for years!

Oh man, RutgersAl is at it again. Just check out his post on R!vals from yesterday. Based on the Morgan St game, Al believes that RU has the talent to win the B1G - not in three or ten years, mind you, rather this year! OMG, my stomach is hurting from laughing so hard.

Idk. Nebraska is a dumpster fire lately

RU may make a game of it in Lincoln

Oh man, RutgersAl is at it again. Just check out his post on R!vals from yesterday. Based on the Morgan St game, Al believes that RU has the talent to win the B1G - not in three or ten years, mind you, rather this year! OMG, my stomach is hurting from laughing so hard.

Of all the issues confronting Rutgers Football in 2017, talent is not among them. We've got talent out the wazoo. Thats why, Which remaining 2017 Games is Rutgers capable of winning? The correct answer is ALL OF THEM!

If you can't see that by Rutgers competitive showing with #7 Washington, who is ranked HIGHER than EVERY remaining opponent, save for Penn State, who at #3, is likely over-rated, then there is nothing I can do to help you. That game was ours for the taking, but we just didn't get it done, as Washington out-executed us down the stretch. The three biggest issues confronting Rutgers Football today are:
  • Lack of Confidence
  • Missed Assignments
  • Mental Mistakes
I got issue #1 from John Otterstedts podcast with Kyle Bolin, who said these team needs to "Believe in Itself". I thought to myself, "How ironic, that the team of Eric Legrand lacks belief in itself"

Thankfully, these issues are all fixable. I don't know of a bigger confidence booster than Winning, so thankfully our 65-0 thrashing of an awful Morgan State team should hopefully restore some confidence. Huge opportunity this Saturday to supercharge our confidence, so I hope we take advantage of it. Nebraska's problems are not our problems. Our only goal Saturday is playing the best we are capable of . Do that, and I think we will be happy with Saturday's result.

Nevertheless, the team is vastly improved from a year ago, and you can see that from YTD statistical rankings.

FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com
  • Rutgers ranks #27 in Total Defense; LY Rutgers ranked #97
  • Rutgers ranks #20 in Rush Defense; LY Rutgers ranked #103
The offense is still a work in progress, as we have so many new pieces that we are trying to fit together. But I'm hopeful that we can replicate the offensive explosion we showed against Morgan State. Not that we need to score 65 points. I'll happily settle for 30-40 points in each of our remaining contests.

If nothing else, the Morgan State Game was a showcase for our non-starting players. Prior, level of talent fell off a cliff once you went from 1st string to 2nd string. Quality of depth is now an asset, and I thought our reserves really shined last Saturday.

The Official Site of Rutgers Athletics
  • Jonathan Lewis showed he has the talent to be Rutgers' Michael Vick
  • Raheem BlackShear ran for 102 yards, while Josh Hicks ran for 47 on 4 carries
  • Mike Maietti Did a GREAT job filling in for Jonah Jackson. some of his snaps could have been a little better, but the bottom line is that the quarterbacks were able to handle them
  • Bo Melton had a terrific 48 yard reception
  • Nakia Griffin Stewart caught a TD pass
  • Julius Turner, Elorm Lumor, Darnell Davis, and Willington Previlon had solid outings on the DLine; Davis had 10 tackles
  • Tyshon Fogg demonstrated a nose for the ball, and had one interception and 6 tackles
  • KJ Gray had 7 tackles and 2 pass breakups
  • Bo Melton caught a 48 yard bomb for a TD
  • Nakia Griffin-Stewart caught a TD
  • 2nd String OL consisting of Zach Heeman, Zach Venesky, Micah Clark, and Sam Vretman among others looked solid
  • LB Rashawn Battle had two tackles and an interception
  • Hunter Hayek had a block
  • Zane Campbell had 5 tackles
  • Myles Nash had 6 tackles from his DE spot
As it stands now, Rutgers 2nd string is close to our first string, which bodes well of our prospects this season. Someone is going to win the Big Ten. Might as well be us. We have the type of team, where, if we play well, we will win. If we don't play well, we won't. it all comes down to execution. I'm very happy with the improvement I've seen from game 1 to game 3. We're ready to go.

GO RU!!!

Idk. Nebraska is a dumpster fire lately

RU may make a game of it in Lincoln
90,000 people. Sea of red. Hot and hostile environment. Freshman seeing that stadium and sea of red for the first time. Rutgers will not make a game of it. Nebraska will be ticked off and thump them. Rutgers bowl game was last week! Sucks to be an Ashhole!

this is my fav part: "Nebraska's problems are not our problems."

No. No, they are not. They don't have an eternal dumpster fire of a program run by a series of incompetent AD's and coaches. They've made one "meh" hire that would be a sizable step up from Ash.

90,000 people. Sea of red. Hot and hostile environment. Freshman seeing that stadium and sea of red for the first time. Rutgers will not make a game of it. Nebraska will be ticked off and thump them. Rutgers bowl game was last week! Sucks to be an Ashhole!
DO3s6UORH6gKY.gif
Your average Nebraska fan thinking about Rutgers..

Mentioned this in Stevie Scott's recruiting thread, but nonetheless...

Notice how Rutgers' commit Stevie Scott is wearing a Maryland bandana in this.

Does it burn, Rutty?