The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 227 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

The Doctor of Philosophy degree (PhD) was been around since the middle ages (which is also the origin of academical regalia with the funny hats). At that time it was used to recognize the terminal degree awarded in the 4 primary faculties: medicine, law, arts and theology.
The typical PhD requires an additional 4-7 years (or more) of study beyond the bachelor's degree, which is comparable to the time an MD invests in medical school. I think the title is well-earned and not the least bit pretentious.

Coincidentally, this was a topic of discussion on this week's "Car Talk" podcast!
I'm pretty sure it goes all the way back to the origins of christianity. Those who were well versed in the doctrine were known as Doctors of the Church.

The Doctor of Philosophy degree (PhD) was been around since the middle ages (which is also the origin of academical regalia with the funny hats). At that time it was used to recognize the terminal degree awarded in the 4 primary faculties: medicine, law, arts and theology.
The typical PhD requires an additional 4-7 years (or more) of study beyond the bachelor's degree, which is comparable to the time an MD invests in medical school. I think the title is well-earned and not the least bit pretentious.

Coincidentally, this was a topic of discussion on this week's "Car Talk" podcast!

Fitting as you need a PhD to work on those damn things today...where I live Horse and Carriage would work just fine

does anyone else get annoyed at non-medical doctors who go by doctor?
Interesting you should say that.

I have a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Cornell. I abandoned the field entirely to work in software engineering.

The CEO at the first major job I had after graduating insisted I include the title on my business cards, and in all correspondence. I didn't want to, because the degree is not in the field in which I was working. No matter, he said, people will respect the fact that you attained the degree.

Signed,
Dr. Wilson

;)

Interesting you should say that.

I have a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Cornell. I abandoned the field entirely to work in software engineering.

The CEO at the first major job I had after graduating insisted I include the title on my business cards, and in all correspondence. I didn't want to, because the degree is not in the field in which I was working. No matter, he said, people will respect the fact that you attained the degree.

Signed,
Dr. Wilson

;)

java doc, I get the name now!

Value judgment

Yup!

I'm not so paralyzed with fear of making one that I can't state the obvious.

And society recognizes the relative high value of the MD by the economic rewards associated with it versus the other.

Yup!

I'm not so paralyzed with fear of making one that I can't state the obvious.

And society recognizes the relative high value of the MD by the economic rewards associated with it versus the other.

Quite the limb!

Yeah - I wouldn’t use $ as the indicator, on a sports message board though. Probably valuing health and saving lives is worth more than aesthetics to society, sure.

Back to hating on Rutgers and the Ash heap

Closer look at reason why Rutgers is lacking depth at so many key positions

ash hole.jpg

Yup, and you don’t need a PhD in History (Art or otherwise) to research all of the great football successes of Rutgirls. Nil is nil.

Actually, I think you are on to something. And it's something I have thought about for a long time.

Statistically, Rutgers lack of success is surprising. After all, schools with similar resources, interest in winning ought (theoretically) to have "average" results over a long period of time. That is, they ought to have good cycles and bad cycles based on the somewhat uncontrollables of recruiting success, coaching acumen, and all the other variable that go into this.

If I were to describe an un-named school, its size, it's location, etc to you and asked each of you to guess where its athletic programs ought to be over a long period of time, I don't think a fair-minded person would say "abysmal".

There is something about this school and its athletic programs that is fundamental that people don't understand. The RU fans, who point to things like individual coaches are absolutely clueless. This might explain a down period in a particular sport (e.g., SU football since the 90's), but how does one explain a whole athletic program that has almost universally stunk over decades and decades.

The losses of the RU basketball program over the past few years to small NJ colleges were stunning. How does that happen that frequently?

Actually, I think you are on to something. And it's something I have thought about for a long time.

Statistically, Rutgers lack of success is surprising. After all, schools with similar resources, interest in winning ought (theoretically) to have "average" results over a long period of time. That is, they ought to have good cycles and bad cycles based on the somewhat uncontrollables of recruiting success, coaching acumen, and all the other variable that go into this.

If I were to describe an un-named school, its size, it's location, etc to you and asked each of you to guess where its athletic programs ought to be over a long period of time, I don't think a fair-minded person would say "abysmal".

There is something about this school and its athletic programs that is fundamental that people don't understand. The RU fans, who point to things like individual coaches are absolutely clueless. This might explain a down period in a particular sport (e.g., SU football since the 90's), but how does one explain a whole athletic program that has almost universally stunk over decades and decades.

The losses of the RU basketball program over the past few years to small NJ colleges were stunning. How does that happen that frequently?
JEpHDGQ.gif

That IS the point. Here' a guy with what might be a serious underlying medical problem that explains the "magic marker" effect.

When I worked around manufacturing, I became aware of Statistical Process Control. It's a concept that says there is always variation but in the long run the distribution of results ought to center around the mean average.

When it doesn't, there's a fundamental problem in the process that you don't understand.

seen on the Rutgers board

"Penn State dominating. Syracuse is back. It’s the awful 80s and 90s for us again."

Got news for them...the 2000’s haven’t been all that kind to them either. Just because others were down doesn’t mean they were up.

Don't have access to many of their boards... anyone got some good quotes from our Rutgers pals... do they still think they stole Ash from Cuse ?