The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 344 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

In regards to Schiano, if Tennessee wasn't able to hire him I find it hard to believe another P5 school could hire him as a head coach without a similar situation.

He is a proven HC.

He did a great job at Rutgers.

And he effectively recruited NJ.

Nobody but he has been able to win in Piscataway.

Akron too.
This really makes no sense. How are rust belt cities and towns in Ohio somehow equivalent to anything in NJ? About the only connections I can make are great inventors and entrepreneurs from both places?

In regards to Schiano, if Tennessee wasn't able to hire him I find it hard to believe another P5 school could hire him as a head coach without a similar situation.

Tennessee didn't hire him because of the fan and alumni reaction. Rutgers is not in that position and the fanbase doesn't care for football the way they do down in the South.

Per the article, Rutgers is getting our of the Ash Era for a cool $9.4MM ($8.5MM for Ash and $.9MM for John McNulty, OC). My heart goes out to the NJ taxpayers, but my brain reminds me that they are the ones electing the officials who then hire the morons making these horrendous coaching decisions.

My recommendation: Hire a coach at $1MM/year and award a bonus to said coach of $100K for each victor for the first 5 victories, and $200K per victory thereafter. If they get to a bowl game, he gets a $100K bonus. If he makes the B1G championship game (it will never happen, but they should dangle the carrot in front of him), add a $110K bonus and another $150K if he wins (again, it will never happen. Should he make the CFP, then he gets $500K for getting in, another $500K if he gets to the Championship game. Finally, $1MM for winning it all. The only guarantee is the current year salary

If he proves he can win, renegotiate the base salary after year two to dissuade him from leaving (that won't happen, either as if he can turn Rutgers around, someone will scoop him up for real money). Regardless, no more buyouts. Get in financial shape and then "rebuild". This will not happen, either. Rutgers is gonna Rutgers.

I was pretty confident that Ash was done this weekend.

I'm also pretty confident Schiano will be the hire, and at this point he is trying to get a staff together.

He will be a thorn in recruiting, though the environment is much different now than his first go around.

But at UT, the fan base revolted.

Rutgers fans want him. I'm thinking the job is his, if he wants it.

The thing is, this is a much worse job than the one Schiano took way back then. Not in the Big east. In the Big Ten.

Worse in one respect but much better in another. Rutgers has much, much more money these days. Much more to spend on choppers for the head coach (yes, that can be taken several ways).

I’m still trying to get my head around the idea of someone getting paid to LEAVE Rutgers. Hell, I’d leave Rutgers for $.50 in Bazooka gum. For $8.47 million I’d dance on my way out whistling Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah out my sphincter!

Tennessee didn't hire him because of the fan and alumni reaction. Rutgers is not in that position and the fanbase doesn't care for football the way they do down in the South.

I think that's right.

I suspect that the Vols fans did not see Schiano as worthy of their "storied" program.

And the "concern" over his association with Penn State was probably not all that sincere.

Surprised and bummed this happened already.

Schiano would be terrible for us in recruiting for at least 2 years. I really hope it’s not Schiano. The coaching really doesn’t matter.

Schiano won’t last long. He “won” while playing 7 BCS games a year (4 of whom where brand new to this level), a 1AA, and 4 OOC cupcakes. Now he has 9 B1G games, 1 OOC P5 game, 0.0 1AAs, and can only have 2 cupcake G5. He isn’t a good enough HC to win 6 games vs that type of schedule.

the list of names the Rutgers fan base think will be interested in the job should be very entertaining

And just like that, we have speculation...

(Butch Jones, Jim Leavitt, and, yes, you guessed it, Greg Schiano)