The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 347 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Schiano would likely get them to at least mediocrity which is better then the dumpster fire they are now but he is not the answer to get them to actual winning seasons. He struggled mightily against spread teams when he was at RU and thats when it was in its infancy. Now nearly every team runs some version of the spread and others run it on steroids. This will end badly for them.

These are the coaches their newspaper put out based on 'sources'

Schiano

Joe Moorhead, Mississippi State head coach:

Pat Narduzzi, Pitt head coach:

Jason Candle, Toledo head coach

Lance Leipold, Buffalo head coach:

Bob Surace, Princeton head coach:

OTHERS TO CONSIDER

Steve Addazio, Boston College head coach:

Don Brown, Michigan defensive coordinator:

Fran Brown, Temple co-defensive coordinator:

Anthony Campanile, Michigan co-defensive coordinator:

Al Golden, Detroit Lions linebackers coach:

Butch Jones, Alabama analyst:

Jeff Monken, Army head coach:

Last edited:

Schiano

OTHERS TO CONSIDER

So, they think Narduzzi would view Rutgers as a step up from Pitt?

Schiano

OTHERS TO CONSIDER

IMO Schiano’s ceiling is 7-6 (4-5) in a good year. Looking at that list only Moorhead would have a higher ceiling IMO.

When *searching* for a new HC at Rutgers, this is when their fanbase (yes all 3 of them), become peak delusional. There is nothing more enjoyable than the names they throw out that Rutgers might be interested in, regardless of the fact that NO ONE is interested in taking over that hell hole.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. Cannot wait to play them again next year.

Schiano

OTHERS TO CONSIDER

There is no way Surace would leave Princeton for Rutgers. He grew up in NJ, went to Princeton, played at Princeton, and is the first alumni HC since Bob Casciola in 1977. Princetonians are exceptionally loyal to their alma mater. I would think this is close to his dream job. If something were to pull him away, it would have to be a pretty spectacular option... adjectives which are rarely asociated with Rutgers.

So, they think Narduzzi would view Rutgers as a step up from Pitt?

They;re fanbase and admin (if this is true) are delusional. Pitt plays in the ACC Coastal (the easy division). Pitt is very much like an ACC school. Why on earth would he leave the ACC Coastal for the underfunded Rutgers in the meatgrinder that is the BIG East.

There is a lot to that and not the least of which I'm confident is Schiano is from a well to do area/town/high school background. I would not be surprised if that wasn't cause for strife as he walks into some severely disadvantaged school districts and asks them to step up and represent. Heck, he went to Bucknell, which is also a pretty well to do small private University. That will matter to some.

The thing about that background is that it overlaps with a lot of NJ football royalty. Greg Toal raised his family in the same town and was even OC at Schiano's HS alma mater. The entire Granatell family coached there too, even while he was there, as well as sending a kid or two of their own (Our own Krautman brothers are from there).
Phil Sims sent his son Chris to Ramapo to play for Toal.
Former Schiano QB Mike Teel is the current HC at Don Bosco (also from that same three town district of NJ known as the "FLOW" area). Campanile's older brother is currently the HC at Bergen Catholic. He played at Paramus Catholic and coached at Seton Hall Prep. Point being, he's got the North Jersey Super Conference covered.
Schiano would dent recruiting in NJ and Pennsylvania in part because of his State Penn ties. Not sure if his Ped State lineage hurts him there. He also has Florida connections from his days at Miami as well as TB, but the latter may not have much luster.
schiano recruited florida well when he was at ru.

We do go down to NJ but not nearly like we used to. We seem to be very specific to kids we target down there and the high profile NJ kids we want, we're losing to Pedo St. Kids like Rondi, Taj Harris and maybe Lowery would've been targeted by Schiano I have no doubt. DeVito to. But would we lose them? IDK, if we did it would have little impact on our team save DeVito but they weren't going to play for Rutgers.

Also, Schiano has historically run a pro style power-i offense with an aggressive attacking D, so he'd likely be looking for a different kind of kid on both sides of the ball. I do suspect he'll want to run a limited spread RPO offense moving forward but we're just not going to cross paths on the kids he's looking for. When you go up and down the geography of our commitment list there are very few kids Schiano would've been involved with. I'd be more worried about the Canadian pipeline, otherwise he just won't impact us.

I do agree his ship has sailed. He won't have the Florida impact that he once had because he's been removed from that for 10 years and his world at Rutgers just became a whole lot tougher. Where he trashed us and BC and Pitt he just won't have that same ability against the Big 10, especially while being pummeled by his division. The worm turned for Syracuse when he beat Pasqualoni in 2003. We were his biggest threat and we were so bad back then, it was just a perfect storm. He doesn't have that anymore.
we should look at our offer list and ru offer list of nj players and not commitment list
i remember writing on this board when rutgers started with schiano. i was in nj and the whole football culture changed. there were billboards, free ru stuff given out at hs. lots of press etc etc etc. lots of buzz . i wrote about it. i was told that they would never be threat and was shouted down . lets not make this mistake again

Schiano

OTHERS TO CONSIDER

That must be an article from "The Onion" because there is no mention of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or Dabo Swinney. And it lacks the standard jab at SU with Dino a consideration. ;)

Moorhead or Narduzzi would leave for Rutgers? Ummm, riiiight. I hope they don’t go after Monken I think that would be a good hire and I want them to go 0-12 every year. Of course he would have to accept the offer soooo...

Moorhead or Narduzzi would leave for Rutgers? Ummm, riiiight. I hope they don’t go after Monken I think that would be a good hire and I want them to go 0-12 every year. Of course he would have to accept the offer soooo...
Monkens a terrific coach but I'm not sure his style fits the big ten.

I hope they don't hire Lance Leipold, Buffalo's head coach. He is a legit College football coach and would do really well their. By well I mean 6-6, 5-7.