The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 371 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

I think he keeps Standard no matter what cause he is a good de coach.

I hope Standard want to stay if he is sent back to coaching the DE's. I was referring to the former DC which since SU plays Rutgers would be a shady type move to have against a future foe.

This isn’t the old big east Greg’s up against. He was able to bake his record against a terrible football conference and an even worse out of conference schedule.

He’s also recruiting against very different Syracuse, Pitt, and BC regimes, where every school has equal or greater facilities - no more “turf” talk

NJ also opened their borders to the Big 10 and teams like PSU, Mich, and OSU are going to take who they want.

He’ll have a few recruiting successes because he can at least do that, but there will be no proverbial “wall” around NJ.

Another thing - we won’t be competing for recruits as much as we did back then. Probably the occasional downstate NY or one off NJ player, but the different conferences are changing the potential regions in which each team starts recruiting.

Last edited:
Per the NY Post 8 year deal, still has to be approved by the schools board of governors but it shouldn't be an issue.
I am very happy for RutgersAl, a great guy who deserves a little hope.

Schiano is no longer a young man (53). He has a massive rebuild on his hands, very similar to the last time he took the job.

The difference is that Rutgers is now in a much better conference than the one he was coaching in before. He didn’t have success at Rutgers until Miami and BC left, Syracuse collapsed and bad programs like USF and UConn were brought in to allow the conference to survive.

I don’t see this affecting Syracuse much. We might lose a recruit or two in Florida to them, though I expect he will have a harder time recruiting there with no conference members based in Florida. Our current staff has essentially stopped recruiting NY, NJ and PA, so any success he has there will not matter to our program.

Great news for NYS HS football though. Many of Schiano’s best players came from New York and he understands there is value in recruiting the state more than many others. I bet a couple of his assistants will have very strong ties to New York State.

This isn't the same schiano and this isnt the same landscape. Schiano built during the fade of Pasqualoni, when he was kept around years too long, and then the Grob era who couldn't recruit himself out of an paper sack. As long as Dino and his coaches remain a driven and aggressive recruiters we can still pull our fair share of regional recruits among others.

Short term it's a shot in the arm for them

Maybe he gets Blackshear out of the portal.

I imagine he will purge the roster and go hard after transfers early on.

Probably try to flip a couple of our kids, BC kids too.

Wouldn't be surprised if he targets all NJ kids committed elsewhere to start, takes a flyer on some NY kids.

He has to rebuild his Florida pipelines.

He will focus on strong D and Specials until he can go after the high end skill talent his system needs.

Long term, in the division they are in, it's not destined to be a similar love story with a happy ending for all.

Six years from now they may be a consistent 6 win team based off OOC built in wins, and getting the occasional w vs some lower tier B10 teams, but that's it.
No lit up Empire State Building.

I hope Standard want to stay if he is sent back to coaching the DE's. I was referring to the former DC which since SU plays Rutgers would be a shady type move to have against a future foe.

You think Schiano would hire our old DC just because we play them one game next year?

You think Schiano would hire our old DC just because we play them one game next year?

Yea that’s not happening. You don’t hire a couch for intel on one opponent. Especially a non conference opponent.

It’s a great move by Rutgers. They needed a Hail Mary and they got one. I, for one, am glad - as I like having Rutgers as a rival and hope we can play them every year - as the last game. I hate the Big 10 and I hate Rutgers - it’d be juicy for us if they are competitive.

It’s a great move by Rutgers. They needed a Hail Mary and they got one. I, for one, am glad - as I like having Rutgers as a rival and hope we can play them every year - as the last game. I hate the Big 10 and I hate Rutgers - it’d be juicy for us if they are competitive.

His first order of business will prob get RU out of playing the regional rivals that Ash encouraged, BC SU etc

His first order of business will prob get RU out of playing the regional rivals that Ash encouraged, BC SU etc

His first order of business is to pick up one of these bad boys...

1575211606325.png

This isn't the same schiano and this isnt the same landscape. Schiano built during the fade of Pasqualoni, when he was kept around years too long, and then the Grob era who couldn't recruit himself out of an paper sack. As long as Dino and his coaches remain a driven and aggressive recruiters we can still pull our fair share of regional recruits among others.

Ray Rice made Schiano. If P doesn't get canned, we don't lose Ray Rice.

I don't think Leonard was coming. If I remember right there was some issue between his family and the staff to begin with.
I may be wrong but I think he had some interest but he never took a late visit. I think a few of the issues were that P wasn’t going to give him a shot on offense and SU pulled his brother’s scholarship when he blew out his knee.

I may be wrong but I think he had some interest but he never took a late visit. I think a few of the issues were that P wasn’t going to give him a shot on offense and SU pulled his brother’s scholarship when he blew out his knee.
I wasn't sure but thought it was something to do with his brother.

I just know he took it personal when he played us.