The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 438 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

This is very frustrating as a NJ taxpayer and I genuinely want to know if there is any way I can stop paying for Rutgers Athletics and direct my tax dollars elsewhere.

Please let us know how that turns out.

Please let us know how that turns out.
Who is "us" Rutgers fan? Do you think it's OK that American tax dollars are funding other foreign nations' National Team for Olympic events? That's cool?

Who is "us" Rutgers fan? Do you think it's OK that American tax dollars are funding other foreign nations' National Team for Olympic events? That's cool?

"Us" is fellow American taxpayers, none of whom have ever been successful trying to direct how their tax dollars are spent, so if you find a way, please share.

Last edited:
"Us" is fellow American taxpayers, none of whom have ever been successful trying to direct how their tax dollars are spent, so if you find a way, please share.
Seemed more flip than frustrated on your part. Doesn’t it upset you as both a taxpayer and fan of the school?

Seemed more flip than frustrated on your part. Doesn’t it upset you as both a taxpayer and fan of the school?
It didn't seem to me that he wasn't frustrated. Just the opposite. He wants you to let the rest of us know if you figure out how to do what has been impossible.

Ya know, RU's ticket woes is straight up, an absolute embarrassment ! I mean the school itself ius the same amount as the capacity of high point stadium. Now of course i know there's a student section and limited but im damn sure its much bigger than ours..
So RU averaging around 30k per game is laughable & an embarrassment to them & the BIG10 so they SHOULD just be shown the door and giving the boot IMO

Ya know, RU's ticket woes is straight up, an absolute embarrassment ! I mean the school itself ius the same amount as the capacity of high point stadium. Now of course i know there's a student section and limited but im damn sure its much bigger than ours..
So RU averaging around 30k per game is laughable & an embarrassment to them & the BIG10 so they SHOULD just be shown the door and giving the boot IMO
I’ll have to check my son’s tuition payment and make sure that I’m not giving a dime to their AD. My taxes are more than enough.

All this reminds me of the story of a very good friend and loyal Orangeman who drove to Happy Valley in 1966 and painted the lion orange and was lauded for their effort
Happened in ‘88 as well, I believe.

It didn't seem to me that he wasn't frustrated. Just the opposite. He wants you to let the rest of us know if you figure out how to do what has been impossible.
I guess in my own indignation I didn’t immediately get a clear sense that they were bothered by it. For some reason, the details in the article got further under my skin than usual and I guess the tipping point was that my tax dollars as an NJ resident were not just being exploited rather than put to good and needed use, but that they were being spent by coaches and athletes representing foreign nations in foreign nations and with no recourse or record. I would willingly let my taxes be distributed as my elected officials see fit if only I could mandate none of it go to the RU AD. I think even RU educators are with me on this. Rant over and apologies for and misinterpreted tone.

i was thinking we may want to nuke this thread until we see where we end up in the next few years. Rutgers appears to have won the lottery.
They were right all along!

Seriously though, someone is going to go to prison for the way Rutgers used their university’s general fund to fund athletics.

i was thinking we may want to nuke this thread until we see where we end up in the next few years. Rutgers appears to have won the lottery.
Big10 just like the NYC TV sets. Their fans dont get the share of the money and rutgers will continue to get pounded by b10 teams and kill their national perception.

If that\s what you're thinking, then I don't think you get the purpose of this thread.

I don’t believe Rutgers will have much say about us being invited if the B1G wants to consider it. Are they even getting a full share yet? Don’t they still have that big loan to pay off?

I thought the Big10 added rutgers for TV sets? LOL

"If schools could be kicked out of swanky leagues for failing to add much to the bottom line, these would be your most endangered members according to the Desirability Ratings: No. 65 Rutgers and No. 59 Illinois in the Big Ten, No. 63 Vanderbilt and No. 53 Missouri in the SEC. Could it ever come to that? Who knows? But nothing is inconceivable in a world where USC, UCLA, Rutgers and Maryland are conference brethren."

I thought the Big10 added rutgers for TV sets? LOL

"If schools could be kicked out of swanky leagues for failing to add much to the bottom line, these would be your most endangered members according to the Desirability Ratings: No. 65 Rutgers and No. 59 Illinois in the Big Ten, No. 63 Vanderbilt and No. 53 Missouri in the SEC. Could it ever come to that? Who knows? But nothing is inconceivable in a world where USC, UCLA, Rutgers and Maryland are conference brethren."
I think it’s a real possibility

I would gladly take Rutgers spot in the Big Ten.
With the value of the spots in these conferences at an all time high, the Big Ten would be foolish not to evaluate Rutgers value and possibly kick them to the curb. I'm not saying that they would take Syracuse in their place, but they can certainly do better than Rutgers.

I would gladly take Rutgers spot in the Big Ten.
I wouldn't bank on new teams being brought in to replace anyone that gets tossed, at least for a while. I think if a team gets tossed in the first phase, it's to reduce the number of mouths to feed. When a conference got down to what it thought was a manageable number, then anyone who got tossed would be replaced with another team. For example, the B1G actually gets down to 10 teams. Then, if they decided to toss someone, someone else would be brought in to keep it at 10. I don't think the networks would try to reduce the per-team payout because they would get higher quality games.

I wouldn't bank on new teams being brought in to replace anyone that gets tossed, at least for a while. I think if a team gets tossed in the first phase, it's to reduce the number of mouths to feed. When a conference got down to what it thought was a manageable number, then anyone who got tossed would be replaced with another team. For example, the B1G actually gets down to 10 teams. Then, if they decided to toss someone, someone else would be brought in to keep it at 10. I don't think the networks would try to reduce the per-team payout because they would get higher quality games.
Sounds like European football leagues. Win* or get demoted.

* - where win is defined as more than just wins and losses.

I kind of like it.