The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 439 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Sounds like European football leagues. Win* or get demoted.

* - where win is defined as more than just wins and losses.

I kind of like it.
1. I don't think they'll be able to do that because the super teams won't have the votes to do it because the other schools will realize they could be next.
2. I don't think they'll need to do that because most conferences are going to implode over the class attendance requirement. the super teams don't want their players to be required to attend class so they'll go off and form an organization that will allow that to happen.

1. I don't think they'll be able to do that because the super teams won't have the votes to do it because the other schools will realize they could be next.
2. I don't think they'll need to do that because most conferences are going to implode over the class attendance requirement. the super teams don't want their players to be required to attend class so they'll go off and form an organization that will allow that to happen.
That is no longer college football. If it has no class, then YUCK. And when I say class i don’t mean “ a body of students meeting regularly to study the same subject”

I think we all need to recognize that conferences want and need to have a stratification of quality in their ranks. It doesn't behoove them to put together 16 top notch teams because they will beat each other up. Rather, it's good to have some doormats, some mediocre, some good and a couple of elite programs.
Don't overlook the value of easy in-conference wins.

I would hope that universities not requiring any sports team to actually be a student attending class, would lose it’s non profit tax status. Wouldn’t subsidizing semi-pro teams for non attending students just be a side business venture that should be taxable and outside the university’s main non profit educational mission?

I think we all need to recognize that conferences want and need to have a stratification of quality in their ranks. It doesn't behoove them to put together 16 top notch teams because they will beat each other up. Rather, it's good to have some doormats, some mediocre, some good and a couple of elite programs.
While this is true, there are teams that lose that offer way more than Rutgers.

That is no longer college football. If it has no class, then YUCK. And when I say class i don’t mean “ a body of students meeting regularly to study the same subject”
You're preaching to the choir, Reverend.

With the value of the spots in these conferences at an all time high, the Big Ten would be foolish not to evaluate Rutgers value and possibly kick them to the curb. I'm not saying that they would take Syracuse in their place, but they can certainly do better than Rutgers.
It is all about money
The big ten got a lot more tv revenue when they took Maryland and RU
They might have the reverse happen if either of those two were dropped

The big ten also cares about a lot of other things aside from football, the other sports and academics. In those cases RU fits in fine

Syracuse fits in well with the ACC and you can always become a top 20 team if things work out
The league has a pathway to the national championship and big time bowls

It is all about money
The big ten got a lot more tv revenue when they took Maryland and RU
They might have the reverse happen if either of those two were dropped

The big ten also cares about a lot of other things aside from football, the other sports and academics. In those cases RU fits in fine

Syracuse fits in well with the ACC and you can always become a top 20 team if things work out
The league has a pathway to the national championship and big time bowls
In addition to the money, bringing in those two also kept Ped State from getting wandering eyes. There were rumors circulating that they didn't like being left by their lonesomes as the eastern edge.

Good laugh

Rutgers' second most important victory, second only to their split national championship in 18-whatever when they they split with Princeton the only two games played, and these paid men of sports struggled to recall any significance. Without computers, they simply would have given up and moved on and it still too five guys four minutes to find the significance with Google. Even Google is unimpressed with Rutgers!

Rutgers' second most important victory, second only to their split national championship in 18-whatever when they they split with Princeton the only two games played, and these paid men of sports struggled to recall any significance. Without computers, they simply would have given up and moved on and it still too five guys four minutes to find the significance with Google. Even Google is unimpressed with Rutgers!
Exactly

Good laugh

This is classic coach. Thanks! Weren’t both Rice and Leonard headed to Syracuse at one point (yes I know Rice. Question is really about Leonard)?

With the value of the spots in these conferences at an all time high, the Big Ten would be foolish not to evaluate Rutgers value and possibly kick them to the curb. I'm not saying that they would take Syracuse in their place, but they can certainly do better than Rutgers.

Not that the study was accurate in the least, but I guess that the Big 10 must have done some “feasibility study” in 2012 and somehow concluded that Rutgers actually had net positive value for the conference. (Unless you think that adding Rutgers and Maryland was actually a move to give Penn State some East Coast partners and prevent PSU from joining the ACC)

Then again, there’s been a lot of cord cutting over the last decade, and there will be even more cord cutting in the future. That decreases the Big 10’s ability to charge ridiculous fees for the NYC TVs that aren’t actually tuned into Rutgers football. I’m skeptical that Rutgers ever actually had net positive value for the Big Ten to begin with. But I think there’s a 0% chance that Rutgers has net positive value for the conference now.

Of course Rutgers isn’t the only historic weakling in a major conference. But none of the other historically weak teams were actually added during a conference expansion.

Northwestern is the only team in the Big 10 (and one of the few in any major conference) that is similar to Rutgers in being historically bad in both football and basketball. And Northwestern was a charter member of the Big Ten when it formed in something like 1895.

Last edited:
Of course Rutgers isn’t the only historic weakling in a major conference. But none of the other historically weak teams were actually added during a conference expansion.

Northwestern is the only team in the Big 10 (and one of the few in any major conference) that is similar to Rutgers in being historically bad in both football and basketball. And Northwestern was a charter member of the Big Ten when it formed in something like 1895.
I figured you were a rutgers troll when i saw your repsonses. Can you tell me how to "Out Rutgers" teams? Does that mean losing to Umich and OSU 108-21 combined? Big10 aint gonna want those TV sets for long. LOL