The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 451 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Complaining about the opponent faking a punt up 40 is similar to basketball players getting mad when the winning team scores a bucket in the last seconds with the game out of reach and the defense conceding. It's what losers do, it's a cringe-worthy rage of embarrassment. And that doesn't even touch on the illegal hit

No. It's a football play. If the coach called it (which I don't believe he did), I'd have a problem with it. Was it a bad decision by the punter? IMO, yes. But they are trained to do what he did.

Happy?
Delighted.

I agree that its very unlikely Day called it.

And yes it was a bad decision despite what a few above have said. Most major D-1 punters have enough common sense to know you don't do what the OSU punter did, regardless of training.

lol he went to the other side of the field to break up the fight and separate his players. Look, I get the hate but can the haters at least pretend to be objective?
Hater? He went to the other side of the field to break up a fight and then acted like a gd clown.

I’m objective… coached for years. Certainly not going to blast a 20 year old kid for doing something he’s coached to do bc he’s not aware of the overall situation.

Schiano’s so pissed off bc he’s getting thumped. His job is to not let that happen. Not to display demonstrative behavior bc he’s getting his teeth kicked in.

Being “objective” by defending the biggest bull spit response in coaching from a clown. He’s a laughingstock in the coaching community right now.

Delighted.

I agree that its very unlikely Day called it.

And yes it was a bad decision despite what a few above have said. Most major D-1 punters have enough common sense to know you don't do what the OSU punter did, regardless of training.
The punter has already stated in MANY articles that no fake punt was called. He said he was only doing what he was taught from viewing the defensive alignment that Rutgers was showing. If Rutgers had lined up in normal punt formation this all could have been avoided. You need to stop trying to blame TOS players and really look at what Rutgers was doing.

So are you in the camp with Killdozer above that the punter was completely justified?

Be honest, let's say everything is exactly the same in this situation but it's SU not Rutgers. How does this board react to that play?
Your hypothetical is that tOSU is up big time, late in the fourth. Syracuse is loading up the left side of the tOSU's punter. SU is showing we will be going for the block. A blind man can see the the block is on.

The punter takes the snap. In literally a split second, the punter decides whether to get demolished by the sell-out block coming from the left or run to his right. He only needs two yards. The punter, chooses wisely, decides to run forward and to the sideline. He crosses the line out of bounds, has taken a couple steps out of bounds and then is hit by an SU player AFTER HE HAS BEEN OUT OF BOUNDS.

That is a late hit, SU would deserve a flag. Babers would not walk across the field and verbally assault Day or abuse the refs. Schiano did just that.

In reality, the Rutgers player was flagged. It was Schiano's idiocy of crossing the field, verbally assaulting Day and harassing the refs which is in question. Babers would know that if he sold out on the block, the punt fake is a real likelihood and has factored that into his decision. Schiano is just to much of a thug to think anyone else can process what he is doing, even though all of us fans know what he is doing and Day should be fired if he can't figure out what Schiano is doing. Schiano is called "Shady" for many reasons, his thuggery is one of them.
Was Ohio St’s Coach flagged for a personal foul, like Dino did after idiot man yelling at B10 officials last year?
Both coaches were flagged and issued their first warning.

Schiano is a clown. I didn’t see him breaking up the fight. It looked like he just ran right up to Day and started pointing his finger at him. Which is weird, why was he so mad?(besides getting curbstomped).

Schiano should have been the one apologizing for the cheap shot but instead he acted like the victim lol

The punter has already stated in MANY articles that no fake punt was called. He said he was only doing what he was taught from viewing the defensive alignment that Rutgers was showing. If Rutgers had lined up in normal punt formation this all could have been avoided. You need to stop trying to blame TOS players and really look at what Rutgers was doing.
MANY times I have told you that I did not think a fake punt was called but you keep repeating the same nonsense.

For all of those folks who keep saying that the punter has every right to take off for the first down up a ton halfway through the 4th - do me a favor - there are dozens of college football games played every weekend, please point out similar examples as they happen during the remainder of this season.

For all of those folks who keep saying that the punter has every right to take off for the first down up a ton halfway through the 4th - do me a favor - there are dozens of college football games played every weekend, please point out similar examples as they happen during the remainder of this season.
He is a football player, of course he has every right to take off.

I’m usually not watching random games when the other team is down 40 but if I happen to I’ll let you know. Most teams wont be trying to block a punt down 40 in the 4th though.

Reminds me of when Shady was trying to hit the QB who’s taking a knee to run the clock out. He’s a douche.

Everyone will try and hang 50 on them now.

Actually I don't blame the punter as they are taught if it's wide open you go for especially when you only need two yards. Shiano loaded one side left the other side wide open why wouldn't he run? It's a football instinct to help your team win.

And it's safer for the punter to run out of bounds when the entire defense is coming at you. Who knows if your protection will hold. What a messed up neanderthal view to think he got what was coming to him.

Schiano defends blowing up victory formation when his defensive players were literally diving at the knees of unsuspecting offensive linemen. Because you play hard no matter the chance of victory!

HE set the bar of expectations in his games with that stunt. So teams are not going to mail in a single play against him.

They set up a full scale punt block down 39 with 10 minutes to go. And he’s mad the punter had the gall to play as he would expect his own players to play?

Context is important here. I’m not sure the punter takes off against any other team.

I’m sure the OSU coaching staff told their players that Rutgers will play hard to the final gun.

Day publicly apologized, but behind the scenes he can’t be mad at that punter for doing his job. He probably got a helmet sticker.

Last edited:
What's also ridiculous is listening to folks here justifying the punter's actions. Oh the lane was open blah blah blah. How many 40 point blowouts do you watch mid 4th quarter where the lane is open? All day long at that juncture, my friend. There is a reason why punters don't avail themselves of that lane in that situation. And if the punter was so justified in his actions then why was his coach apologetic after the game?

Funny thing is many of these same fans would be moanin' til the cows came home if SU was in the same spot.

How many douche bag coaches call for a block punt one side overload in a blowout halfway into the 4th. One

Duh that's right. Never said Day was at fault. It was the punter's fault and he paid the price.
The problem isn't that the guy drilled the punter. The problem is he drilled the punter well out of bounds. That's a cheap shot and isn't justified. If you want to be a tough guy, do it on the field. Don't be a coward and do what the Rutgers guy did.
For the life of me, I can't understand why you're so adamant on this argument.