The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

If we played ND, OSU, or Alabama 8 times for instance in the last 10 years and won 6 of those games. What would we be saying on this message board?

Option 1: The last 10 years doesn't matter because those teams historically the last 50 years have crushed us and that's what counts

Option 2: Screw _____ team, we've kicked their @ss for the last 10 years. Who cares whether they beat us 25 years ago?

I think we all know the answer to this.

* Revisionist History Alert: "a few years' tailspin"

* The reality is their program does matter to some degree because we have a 57 page thread dedicated to them. We don't even have a 5 page thread dedicated to Pitt or BC who are in our conference.

We like BC and Pitt, not on the field, but otherwise. Their fans are not arrogant, hypocritical, moronic, etc. That is a very real difference. Plus, BC and Pitt have a decent history and are not afraid of playing big name football programs. Very significant differences. Just my opinion.

We like BC and Pitt, not on the field, but otherwise. Their fans are not arrogant, hypocritical, moronic, etc. That is a very real difference. Plus, BC and Pitt have a decent history and are not afraid of playing big name football programs. Very significant differences. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree at all. But the fact that we now have a 58 page thread about Rutgers who supposedly doesn't matter because they have no history; they matter to somebody. Their recent history matters to our message board obviously. We can write all we want that they don't matter but clearly they do to some degree.

qdawgg said:
I don't disagree at all. But the fact that we now have a 58 page thread about Rutgers who supposedly doesn't matter because they have no history; they matter to somebody. Their recent history matters to our message board obviously. We can write all we want that they don't matter but clearly they do to some degree.

The page count doesn't legitimize them at all. The matter in the same way all things do that are humorous and worth laughing at. Nothing more, nothing less.

qdawgg said:
it's better than 45 different Rutgers threads. Consolidation.

If we played ND, OSU, or Alabama 8 times for instance in the last 10 years and won 6 of those games. What would we be saying on this message board?

Option 1: The last 10 years doesn't matter because those teams historically the last 50 years have crushed us and that's what counts

Option 2: Screw _____ team, we've kicked their @ss for the last 10 years. Who cares whether they beat us 25 years ago?

I think we all know the answer to this.

* Revisionist History Alert: "a few years' tailspin"

* The reality is their program does matter to some degree because we have a 57 page thread dedicated to them. We don't even have a 5 page thread dedicated to Pitt or BC who are in our conference.
Disagree. Obviously there would be some yahoos in our fanbase who'd look at Option 2 and choose to disregard the broader history between the programs, but that wouldn't make them right. 10 years does not a rivalry or supremacy make- regardless of what some overzealous fans want to believe. Its that very same attitude from the RU fans that seems to feed the obsession of some SU fans towards THAT program. They tooted their horn (as was their right) after beating us for a few years, but the real problem is that some SU fans started believing that they HAD surpassed us as a program. That's the "revisionism" that I see.
And since when is "a few years tailspin" revisionist history? We were in a tailspin during GERG, crawled halfway out with DM, fell back a bit with HCSS and are still struggling to get our footing. How is that revisionist?
Again, forgetting ones history and choosing to base a perspective purely on a microwaveable POV, is silly.
Btw- choosing to respond to or contribute to this 50+ thread is not an indication of how much RU "matters" as you suggest. Its like slowing down & looking at a car wreck. Call me old school, but RU has never much "mattered" to me no matter how close to mediocrity they came...during our <ahem> "tailspin" years.
JMHO

Rutgers does not matter to CFBdom and they only matter to most Orange fans because Rutgers fans overreached and their former HC was such a (insert adjective of your choice here). 58 pages of poking fun at them is therapy, not a sign that Rutgers actually matters. Besides, read some of their conference mates' sites, not a lot of disagreement between their fans and Orange fans when it comes to Rutgers.

Anyway, you are free to keep telling us how Rutgers matters to us while we keep having fun at their expense or you can simply ignore this thread, while we keep having fun at Rutgers expense.

This just in with the upcoming suspensions of numerous players for the opener...Rutgers has decided to replace Norfolk ST with another old standby...

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2009/5/22/883661/rutgers-mcdivitt-elementary-school

Rutgers, McDivitt Elementary School Schedule Home-And-Home Football Series
By Sean Keeley@SeanKeeleyIsMe on August 25, 2015, 1:27p 5

dodgeball.jpg
&lt;img src="https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/l2.../cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/118105/dodgeball.jpg" alt=""/&gt;
Lucas Modesky (pictured) is among the McDivitt students who will line up against Rutgers on September 5th.

 Tweet Share on Twitter Share Share on Facebook Pin Pinterest 5 Comments
NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - Rutgers University will play James A. McDivitt Elementary School in football in 2015 and 2016, the McDivitt Principal's Office announced today.

The series will be a home-and-home. McDivitt will visit Rutgers Stadium in the upcoming 2015 season and the Scarlet Knights will meet the grade schoolers in the open field behind the McDivitt gymnasium in 2016.

As someone who lives a 1/2 mile from McDivitt Elementary, I am looking forward to this game immensely. I'm also looking into seeing if my sons can transfer elementary schools within district.:rolleyes:

The email thing will end up being an all too convenient reason to fire Flood whom, shocking to no one, isn't a great recruiter or coach and they surely want rid of. No other reason this gets released.

Schiano, who tried to get better jobs and failed, will come riding back into town on his white horse (or borrowed helicopter, 88 Camaro, etc) and take back over making more money than anyone else will pay him. RU probably still has the deed to the house they bought him. They'll get back to tough defense, stellar special teams, and fit perfectly in the bottom/middle of the big ten.

It was a fun internet spat until we left the big east but we likely won't play again anytime soon. At this point we may as well develope a loathing for another fan base with chest puffing fans who over state their talent and worth in the college landscape like NC State unless they ACC get their together and figure out we should be playing VaTech and Miami every year.

So with that said I'm officially over Rutgers like I was any ex gf a few years on. Thanks for the good times (only rut gizz has jer zeee powah) but we don't hang out with the same people or at the same places and no need to say hi if you happen to see me out. Hope life treats you well enough though hope it treats us better.

The email thing will end up being an all too convenient reason to fire Flood whom, shocking to no one, isn't a great recruiter or coach and they surely want rid of. No other reason this gets released.

Schiano, who tried to get better jobs and failed, will come riding back into town on his white horse (or borrowed helicopter, 88 Camaro, etc) and take back over making more money than anyone else will pay him. RU probably still has the deed to the house they bought him. They'll get back to tough defense, stellar special teams, and fit perfectly in the bottom/middle of the big ten.

It was a fun internet spat until we left the big east but we likely won't play again anytime soon. At this point we may as well develope a loathing for another fan base with chest puffing fans who over state their talent and worth in the college landscape like NC State unless they ACC get their . . . . together and figure out we should be playing VaTech and Miami every year.

So with that said I'm officially over Rutgers like I was any ex gf a few years on. Thanks for the good times (only rut gizz has jer zeee powah) but we don't hang out with the same people or at the same places and no need to say hi if you happen to see me out. Hope life treats you well enough though hope it treats us better.

I don't know. I'd put money on us playing them in the Pinstripe in the next bunch of years. They'd love that match up.

Rutgers does not matter to CFBdom and they only matter to most Orange fans because Rutgers fans overreached and their former HC was such a (insert adjective of your choice here). 58 pages of poking fun at them is therapy, not a sign that Rutgers actually matters. Besides, read some of their conference mates' sites, not a lot of disagreement between their fans and Orange fans when it comes to Rutgers.

Anyway, you are free to keep telling us how Rutgers matters to us while we keep having fun at their expense or you can simply ignore this thread, while we keep having fun at Rutgers expense.

When I said "they matter" I wasn't implying they were important. They matter in the sense that we care enough about their program the last 10 years to have a massive thread about them, even if it is completely to pick on them. Not sure why you're jumping to the conclusion that I think they have an important history, matter on a National stage, or are a decent program. I've pretty much said the opposite the years I've been on our boards.

If you don't like what I wrote because you can't interpret it, then just click the "ignore" button. I'll keep having fun at their expense as I've had for years and I'll read/respond to any thread I feel like.

This...:rolling:Flood told reporters it was appropriate for a coach to correspond with an instructor "to inquire as to whether or not there would be an opportunity to earn a better grade."

Pus he said he had two instructors at his practice just the other day. The guy just needs to learn to ""

;););):(;)
Reading some posts in this thread reminds me of how I feel when I'm talking to my 14-year old about the value of her history class.
History gives us a mirror as to how we got here and why we are WHAT we are. It's all-important, IMO.
Its mindboggling that some in our microwave society lose all sight of the value of a historical perspective.
Rutgers can't touch us as a program, just like we can't touch an ND, OSU, 'Bama and many other upper-level programs...largely BECAUSE of their history and tradition- and no matter how many winning seasons we manage to put together. The real issue here is that those other program's fans KNOW and BELIEVE this to be the case- no doubt about it.
How pathetic is it that a few years' tailspin has resulted in such utter self-loathing, combined with a requisite incomprehensible jock-sniffing, of a totally bogus RU program.
Sad, just...sad.
JMHO
what is equally important about history is that we LEARN from it.reiterating and knowing our storied past is point of pride. great. does it make up for the current state of affairs that we have been in????no. we dwell on it,feed off it,and use it as an excuse for what a wonderful program we have. thus do not adjust to the in our face reality of the recent decade. i think the ipf was a step in the right direction, as the dome was back in the day. to deny rutgers has not had an impact on us is silly. the reality of that impact is not lessened by our tradition. rutgers is not a powerhouse, my irritation is with arrogance that we are superior but have not performed that way. in short de nial is more than a river--

;););):(;)
what is equally important about history is that we LEARN from it.reiterating and knowing our storied past is point of pride. great. does it make up for the current state of affairs that we have been in????no. we dwell on it,feed off it,and use it as an excuse for what a wonderful program we have. thus do not adjust to the in our face reality of the recent decade. i think the ipf was a step in the right direction, as the dome was back in the day. to deny rutgers has not had an impact on us is silly. the reality of that impact is not lessened by our tradition. rutgers is not a powerhouse, my irritation is with arrogance that we are superior but have not performed that way. in short de nial is more than a river--
Fair enough.
But recognizing and valuing history isn't synonymous with resting on your laurels or living in the past- the 2 can be mutually exclusive.
As for our "arrogance"? We have earned the right to be "arrogant" towards Rutgers, and they haven't as of yet truly done enough to shut us up.
As an aside- the perfect contrast on the rivalry scale is UConn Basketball. They have won championships in th BE and afterwards, and have DEFINITIVELY earned the right to talk trash. How? They proved it on the court. We may loath each other as programs, but the UConn Huskies are a proven rival who took their respect...whether we wanted to give it to them or not. In the end we had no say in the manner.
Pray tell, what has Rutgers done to merit such respect from Syracuse football fans? How much more "superior" has their performance been that we should give them so many props, as the Rutgers obsessed fans tend to do?
Just because we have tended to SUCK, it doesn't make Rutgers this superior program compared to ours all of a sudden. That's not "de nial"- that's just facts and commonsense.
JMHO

Fair enough.
But recognizing and valuing history isn't synonymous with resting on your laurels or living in the past- the 2 can be mutually exclusive.
As for our "arrogance"? We have earned the right to be "arrogant" towards Rutgers, and they haven't as of yet truly done enough to shut us up.
As an aside- the perfect contrast on the rivalry scale is UConn Basketball. They have won championships in th BE and afterwards, and have DEFINITIVELY earned the right to talk trash. How? They proved it on the court. We may loath each other as programs, but the UConn Huskies are a proven rival who took their respect...whether we wanted to give it to them or not. In the end we had no say in the manner.
Pray tell, what has Rutgers done to merit such respect from Syracuse football fans? How much more "superior" has their performance been that we should give them so many props, as the Rutgers obsessed fans tend to do?
Just because we have tended to SUCK, it doesn't make Rutgers this superior program compared to ours all of a sudden. That's not "de nial"- that's just facts and commonsense.
JMHO

What poster on here said they had a "superior" program, nobody even implied that at all.

I don't even know what we are talking about anymore anyway. Nobody on here likes them, nobody on here has any respect for them, can't we just go back to picking on them.

Fair enough.
JMHO
good post--ru fans are "rookies"and delusional. i really do not care what they are or ANY OTHER fanbase related to su football. i care about what we are(as most on this board do) we have to focus on what we are and need to be . like i said hx is to be respected, but not to dwell on it,. my reference in re: to ru is just an example. focus on the goal, to improve,recruit,build. stop talking about superior performance, or stats from the college football warehouse. measure where we are, where we need to be,and how do we get there. as u.s.grant said to his generals---"stop worrying about lee, and tell me what you are going to do". many a company has been done in by "resting on their laurels".

What poster on here said they had a "superior" program, nobody even implied that at all.

I don't even know what we are talking about anymore anyway. Nobody on here likes them, nobody on here has any respect for them, can't we just go back to picking on them.
The use of "superior" was more in response to tipph's observation that some SU fans acted superior to RU, despite the dearth of wins by us these last few years. But you're right... enough about them.
On to a successful season!
LGO

Last edited:
Rutgers still stinks. Which stunk first? Rutgers football as a bottom feeder or the chemical wastelands.

I just wish we got to play the NY vs NJ game every year. Syracuse vs Rutgers.

F you Rutgers. Bunch of asshats and meatballs.
me too it was the beginning of a good rivalry, close road trip(only 75 min from me in bethlehem pa) and good tailgaiting in johnson park.

Rip Rutgers all you want, but as a program looking to continue our great improvement recruiting in NJ, and with 3-5 kids per class last two as well as this cycle, maybe we should lay off attacking the state the kids are from

Rip Rutgers all you want, but as a program looking to continue our great improvement recruiting in NJ, and with 3-5 kids per class last two as well as this cycle, maybe we should lay off attacking the state the kids are from
No thanks. I don't think most people are ripping the state of New Jersey (although that in itself could be another huge thread), just bashing the state university.

No thanks. I don't think most people are ripping the state of New Jersey (although that in itself could be another huge thread), just bashing the state university.
You sure? Just look at the two posts by HtownOrange on this page. "Most" are bashing Rutgers, true, but smart move is make it as close to "all" as we can. Stay classy Syracuse.