The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 150 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

we have attendance problems, they avg more than we do. most of su attendance is based on "townies" not alums. the city of syracuse has a history of only supporting winners in the long run. ask the nats. probably the most supported team in cny for the most years is the various hockey teams. people always say that winning cures everything, and i believe that to be true. as u have said ru has been a smoke and mirrors show for years on the back of weak schedueling. the ad mulcahy knew what he was doing when he "built" the program.

SU's attendance problems have nothing to do with Rutger's.

Do you remember what RU's attendance was for decades prior to 2005/06 including many years in the Big East? It was 20,000. SU attendance might have been that low during some years during the Maloney years, but 20K was the RU base for decades.

The run up of attendance and interest wasn't based on Rutger's new found excellence. It was based on the novelty of this long, long term doormat actually becoming competitive. Unfortunately for them RU after 2006 they never got any better and Schiano left town and cashed in before the bills came due on the outrageous BS he was pedaling about NC's and proximity to NYC came due.

Schiano and Mulcahy sold recruits a bill of goods based on lies and some the locals (of which there are millions) bought into it. These were people who couldn't get and probably couldn't afford Giants / Jets tickets trying to get in on the ground floor. And there were RU alums that for many years had wondered why their school's athletic programs were so unsuccessful and were generally the laughingstock of college sports.

Longer term, I firmly believe, that RU has to be highly successful to keep fan interest. That's just the way the New Jerseyans are. And that isn't going to happen. And once the nose of that plane falls below the horizon ...

Rutgers is forever snake bit. Just look at the basketball program. How hard would it be to have a competitive basketball program in a major conference --- Big East or Big Ten --- in the middle of New Jersey?

And there were RU alums that for many years had wondered If their school had an athletic program.

Rutgers is forever snake bit. Just look at the basketball program. How hard would it be to have a competitive basketball program in a major conference --- Big East or Big Ten --- in the middle of New Jersey?

Fixed it.

Completely agree with tour hoops analysis, a school in driving distance to NYC, not far from Philly, with many other great hoops players in teh area, how could Rutgers fail to not have a perennial top 25 hoops team? With Jersey HS football, they should have always been top 40 in CFB.

It's not a rivalry.

One word: schadenfreude

At the end of the day not one school in the country gets under our fan bases skin as easily as any topic dealing with Rutgers. We spend a ridiculous amount of time talking about a school that our fan base views as beneath us and they share a similar view point. It's a rivalry

At the end of the day not one school in the country gets under our fan bases skin as easily as any topic dealing with Rutgers. We spend a ridiculous amount of time talking about a school that our fan base views as beneath us and they share a similar view point. It's a rivalry

Except one of those viewpoints is utterly wrong with no foundation in any facet. Hint hint, their viewpoint.

Except one of those viewpoints is utterly wrong with no foundation in any facet. Hint hint, their viewpoint.

Semantics. They say the same thing even in the same situation you brought up. Both sides have a deep disdain for one another and go out of their wait to paint the opposing school in a negative light whenever and how ever they can. We both share a fertile recruiting ground, alumnus who grew up in the same region, have a lot of alumnus who work in said region and both AD's try to take claim on the same city.

Semantics. They say the same thing even in the same situation you brought up. Both sides have a deep disdain for one another and go out of their wait to paint the opposing school in a negative light whenever and how ever they can. We both share a fertile recruiting ground, alumnus who grew up in the same region, have a lot of alumnus who work in said region and both AD's try to take claim on the same city.
The effective capital of both states is NYC , as well as of Connecticut .

Disdain is not a rivalry.

What gets under SU fans skin's is the attempt by RU fans to elevate their pathetic athletic history by suggesting they are a rival of SU's.

Guess who RU now says is their Rival? Yup. It's Penn State.

Through this outrageous and insulting claim they will get the PSU fan base's attention.

But picking a fight to gain attention isn't a rivalry.

Disdain is not a rivalry.

What gets under SU fans skin's is the attempt by RU fans to elevate their pathetic athletic history by suggesting they are a rival of SU's.

Guess who RU now says is their Rival? Yup. It's Penn State.

Through this outrageous and insulting claim they will get the PSU fan base's attention.

But picking a fight to gain attention isn't a rivalry.

Exactly.

I've been trying to stay out of this thread lately but that's embarrassing.
This.
I've often railed against the seeming obsession with "all things Rutgers" that's evidenced by this thread, but earlier today my UConn alum nephew sent me that tweet (which I quickly retweeted to my RU alum wife), and the first thing I did was to check out this thread.
I must admit, having one all-inclusive place to point out how utterly pathetic Rutgers is, was, and always will be- is actually kinda convenient.
I stand corrected...somewhat!

Last edited:
The effective capital of both states is NYC , as well as of Connecticut .

Not true of CT. NYC dominates Fairfield County, but that's only about 30% of the state population.

"trying to find something to sell in a place that has less rich history than 15-year-old Florida Gulf Coast isn’t easy." LOL :rolling:

Ummm...they played in the NCAA Final Four in 1976. Which for frame of reference was long after Syracuse's football NC and Jim Brown. While they have no tradition at the Major College Football level (they do in the northeast region "FCS" level), they did have some success/tradition in basketball in the 70's and 80's. Was it on par with SU's basketball? Of course not. But like Townie says, it's really mind blowing how bad their basketball program has become. It's easy to suck in football. It's very hard to be this bad in basketball, especially when you are located in a fertile recruiting area and have a decent (not great) hoops history. Facilities is a lame excuse. When Calipari got to UMASS, they had a rotary dial phone in the office and played in a facility that resembled a CYO gymnasium. Rutgers Athletic Department has just been woefully inept since they jumped to the Big East.

Ummm...they played in the NCAA Final Four in 1976. Which for frame of reference was long after Syracuse's football NC and Jim Brown. While they have no tradition at the Major College Football level (they do in the northeast region "FCS" level), they did have some success/tradition in basketball in the 70's and 80's. Was it on par with SU's basketball? Of course not. But like Townie says, it's really mind blowing how bad their basketball program has become. It's easy to suck in football. It's very hard to be this bad in basketball, especially when you are located in a fertile recruiting area and have a decent (not great) hoops history. Facilities is a lame excuse. When Calipari got to UMASS, they had a rotary dial phone in the office and played in a facility that resembled a CYO gymnasium. Rutgers Athletic Department has just been woefully inept since they jumped to the Big East.

you are being WAYYYYYYYY to generous with the bolded above. Nova, before this past years title, had a decent, not great history. Cincy has a decent not great, St Johns, Marquette those are schools that i would qualify as decent not great histories. Rutgers does not belong in that group.

i recall reading Addazzio and his staff (offensively) were doing this when they got to Temple. Telling recruits, "hey, you are essentially being coached by the former Gator offensive football staff.

Telling that to a recruit, is much different then doing what Rutgers did here.

Ummm...they played in the NCAA Final Four in 1976. Which for frame of reference was long after Syracuse's football NC and Jim Brown.
Syracuse's 1987 undefeated football season came long after RU's lone hoops blip.
Please don't try to equate the two programs... just enjoy the schadenfreude. ;)

It's not a rivalry.

One word: schadenfreude
But why do we get so much pleasure from their misfortune? We don't act this way about UCONN, VT, WV, Miami, Pitt, PSU, or anyone else.

Official definitions of rival:

a person or thing that tries to defeat or be more successful than another
something or someone that is as good or almost as good as another person or thing
one striving for competitive advantage
one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess

Over the past 2 decades we are 9-8 against them. That's 20 freaking years. a 1/4 of our fanbase grew up watching them overtake us, smear our names, laugh at us while we were down, etc. We share recruiting territory. Our fanbases have genuine disdain for each other. I know it's hard for some of the older posters to see this. They see the old rivalry with PSU and think that is what a rivalry is. Yeah it was one helluva rivalry. But as long as they keep throwing poop at us and we keep peeing in their Kool-aid, I don't think it's fair to say they aren't. 20 years is a long time to be barely over .500 against a team. They don't have our history but they are currently on the same level we are and you are absolutely fooling yourselves to think otherwise. Freaking Meyer told Ash that Piscataway was the better job! I'm 42 years old and hate Rutgers more than any other team we've played in recent history. And I'm not alone.

Heck I was even watching Big Brother this summer and when that JO Paulie started struting around the house in his big red R's, I instantly wanted him gone. Because he wore a shirt. Just sayin'....

If possible, Rutgers basketball could have just taken a step back in credibility. Are we sure someone from Northwestern didn't do this to make Rutgers look bad?

I thought you Rutgers fans didn't like to discuss history.