The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 205 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Why don't N.J.'s top athletes go to Rutgers? Chris Christie's answer

My corpulent governor was trying not to yell at callers while I help pay his salary.

Why don't athletes want to go to Rutgers?

Look, nobody actually wants to go to Rutgers. It's where NJ residents go when they can't go to where they really want to because they can't get in or cannot afford it.

I grew up in NJ. Everybody I know that went to Rutgers admitted it was a cost-driven decision primarily. It's the K-Mart of college experiences.

Why don't athletes want to go to Rutgers?

Look, nobody actually wants to go to Rutgers. It's where NJ residents go when they can't go to where they really want to because they can't get in or cannot afford it.

I grew up in NJ. Everybody I know that went to Rutgers admitted it was a cost-driven decision primarily. It's the K-Mart of college experiences.
many college choices in many states are a cost driven decision. look at the suny system. many good colleges in the system, many students may choose them because they can't pay out of state or private tuition and don't want the debt.
you want a kmart for college tuition, try the university of mississippi

many college choices in many states are a cost driven decision. look at the suny system. many good colleges in the system, many students may choose them because they can't pay out of state or private tuition and don't want the debt.
you want a kmart for college tuition, try the university of mississippi

What you say is true. And NJ has a similar system that includes schools like Montclair.

But Rutgers for the friends I had was a low-quality college experience. The academics, at least at Rutgers College, were fine. But the rest of it was grim. Students regularly fled the campus on weekends to go home or to other colleges. It was always the epitome of a "Suitcase College".

I'll stick with my assertion that no one I knew that went there really wanted to go there. And that NJ students avoid it if they are financially able.

I have friends in Michigan. They actually wanted to go to UM or Michigan State. That is NOT what you get in New Jersey.

What you say is true. And NJ has a similar system that includes schools like Montclair.

But Rutgers for the friends I had was a low-quality college experience. The academics, at least at Rutgers College, were fine. But the rest of it was grim. Students regularly fled the campus on weekends to go home or to other colleges. It was always the epitome of a "Suitcase College".

I'll stick with my assertion that no one I knew that went there really wanted to go there. And that NJ students avoid it if they are financially able.

I have friends in Michigan. They actually wanted to go to UM or Michigan State. That is NOT what you get in New Jersey.
The campus atmosphere is severely lacking at Rutgers. In fact the Newark campus has more of an organized campus feel than New Brunswick. In truth New Brunswick is made up of four separated campuses that they now refer to as "districts" I believe; Livingston, Cooke, Busch, and New Brunswick (College Avenue). Cooke and College Ave are separated from the other two by the Raritan River (not a small stream, but a legitimate river). Housing is primarily at Livingston or Busch, and much more of it is like the South Campus apartments than Ernie Davis as examples. There are some Sadler like dorms, but the living is pretty terrible. Chicken or egg I guess, but there are a lot of commuters or suitcase students. My understanding is that the biggest problem they have is there are very few places for students to go after classes or between classes and then the distance between "districts" exacerbates that. As a result, there is a diminished college experience. Without that, what's to gain staying and playing for a losing team in a pro-sports town, where the bright lights are not focused on you, but the big "Oz" across the Hudson.

The campus atmosphere is severely lacking at Rutgers. In fact the Newark campus has more of an organized campus feel than New Brunswick. In truth New Brunswick is made up of four separated campuses that they now refer to as "districts" I believe; Livingston, Cooke, Busch, and New Brunswick (College Avenue). Cooke and College Ave are separated from the other two by the Raritan River (not a small stream, but a legitimate river). Housing is primarily at Livingston or Busch, and much more of it is like the South Campus apartments than Ernie Davis as examples. There are some Sadler like dorms, but the living is pretty terrible. Chicken or egg I guess, but there are a lot of commuters or suitcase students. My understanding is that the biggest problem they have is there are very few places for students to go after classes or between classes and then the distance between "districts" exacerbates that. As a result, there is a diminished college experience. Without that, what's to gain staying and playing for a losing team in a pro-sports town, where the bright lights are not focused on you, but the big "Oz" across the Hudson.

The "diminished college experience" captures it perfectly.

And if you are a scholarship athlete ---who isn't paying anything --- why would you settle for this diminished college experience.

If someone wants to buy you dinner you should opt for Mortons and not Denny's.

The "diminished college experience" captures it perfectly.

And if you are a scholarship athlete ---who isn't paying anything --- why would you settle for this diminished college experience.

If someone wants to buy you dinner you should opt for Mortons and not Denny's.
The closest Mortons in NJ is 42 miles away in Hackensack.

Do you mean that fine dining refuses to locate near Rutgers? They can't catch a break on anything. Just another reason to be an Orange fan.

Hold on a minute. I recall enjoying an excellent hero at Quick Chek the last time I was in the area.

Ahhh that was an analogy, not part of a CNJ restaurant guide.

But, if your point is that that particular part of New Jersey is a wasteland, than I agree. The better parts of the State are further North in towns that are shorter commutes into NYC or 18 miles South in Princeton (a town that has been significantly degraded by population growth, traffic and the invasion of the New York City and North Jersey crowd.

the nb campus has been dismal for sure, they are trying to create a better "central" campus.they are adding quite a bit of homey type stuff and architecture. we did the same when we added the pedestrian walkway past the bookstore, and way back when we bought up the property on the main entrance to campus, beautified it and did away with the street.
all of what you said describes ru to a t. however as you said, that is very difficult to do considering it is sprawling,and probably 4 times the size of us. the busch campus is a great place for the football stadium and landscape is pleasing. by the way, you forgot the old rutgers womens college --douglas --which has a nice small campus.

rutgers now surpassed us in two four seven, scout and rivals in recruiting rankings . just signed a wr that we had offerred. i hope the rating increased due to more numbers than us, nevertheless it is disconcerting. we are less than on par with the WORST team in the big 10. there is no defense for this glaring deficiency ---que alsacs ostrich picture----please give dino the renovation to help things along.

rutgers now surpassed us in two four seven, scout and rivals in recruiting rankings . just signed a wr that we had offerred. i hope the rating increased due to more numbers than us, nevertheless it is disconcerting. we are less than on par with the WORST team in the big 10. there is no defense for this glaring deficiency ---que alsacs ostrich picture----please give dino the renovation to help things along.
Are you serious right now?

A WR we had offered in February and basically done nothing with since?

Less than on par? Rutgers is taking kids that would be playing for Howard otherwise.

Rutgers is ahead of us in literally, absolutely nothing football related at the moment. They're the worst that P-5 has to offer.

And the funny part is, I could care less anymore. The fire for them has died, along with their glimpse into mediocrity.

Trolls gonna troll.

Last edited:

Knew it was coming. Lol

image.jpeg

Yay! Nom nom nom, dumpster life so good!

Are you serious right now?

A WR we had offered in February and basically done nothing with since?

Less than on par? Rutgers is taking kids that would be playing for Howard otherwise.

Rutgers is ahead of us in literally, absolutely nothing football related at the moment. They're the worst that P-5 has to offer.

And the funny part is, I could care less anymore. The fire for them has died, along with their glimpse into mediocrity.

Trolls gonna troll.

It wouldn't be football season if tipp wasn't overestimating and freaking out about the prowess of Rutgers.

Glaring deficiency? Lol

The kids they're getting have zero offers. Their ratings are inflated because they have more recruits than us and a bunch of overrated kids as per usual. If I had their class I'd be crying.

It's not even close. The only ostrich picture is anyone who thinks their class is any good.

Funny stuff.

Rutgers is having their worst recruiting season ever. Guess how many of the top 25 NJ recruits they have verbals from? Zero.

2018 Top New Jersey Football Recruits

Loading up on recruits from NY that Syracuse does not want is not a good thing either.

No one in the world would trade that awful class for the class Syracuse has. Take some time and look at the RU verbals and the schools that offered them. They have a few decent prospects and a bunch of players good programs passed over.

I am glad you want renovations for the Dome. I do too. They are coming. Relax and enjoy watching our program come back to life step by step.

When can we get these guys back on the schedule? Like in the distant past, the team can get a few wins and continue to build a pipeline of top recruits who choose to stay closer to home.

Funny stuff.

Rutgers is having their worst recruiting season ever. Guess how many of the top 25 NJ recruits they have verbals from? Zero.

2018 Top New Jersey Football Recruits

Loading up on recruits from NY that Syracuse does not want is not a good thing either.

No one in the world would trade that awful class for the class Syracuse has. Take some time and look at the RU verbals and the schools that offered them. They have a few decent prospects and a bunch of players good programs passed over.

I am glad you want renovations for the Dome. I do too. They are coming. Relax and enjoy watching our program come back to life step by step.

What's even worse is it looks like they have completely given up on Florida. Remember when Schiano recruited the hell out of Florida, even putting up billboards. Currently, they don't have one commit of the top 242 Florida recruits. Appalachian State has 3! We have 2 of the Top 140. Their recruiting has fallen off a cliff.

Rutgers has 4 more commits than we do. Thats the reason why they are currently higher in rankings. We have better quality commits. They have 2 players that I would want. That's Pacheco and Lacewell. Those happen to be the only two players with other decent P5 offers. Most of their other commits have no other P5 offer. Thats not a good formula when trying to compete in the Big 10 East with a inexperienced coach. They are hoping Kill teaches him how to win with less talent. That might get them to 8-5 one day. If Ash can make it for another 5 years. lol